• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

An Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello. I'm just starting out with the W3 World Editor and I wanted to post here to introduce myself and get some suggestions.

My interest in the World Editor springs from my deep adoration of DotA, the TFT Orc campaign, and, inevitably, World of Warcraft, as well as an interest in game design and level design. It seems to me like the World Editor is an excellent tool for my purposes, in that I can (relatively) quickly and (relatively) easily implement games and levels according to my own ideas, without having to create game engines or art assets.

That said, I'll say that my initial goals are rather more modest than creating ';teh best RPG map evar1'. I am a professional software dev, and my experience has taught me that any project, learning or production, is best served by starting small and simple. I've been reading all the tutorials I can get my hands on, here as well as at W3Campaigns and theHelper.net World Editor forums. My first personal project is going to be a small map very similar to Human3 from the original W3:RoC. It's not much, but it has terraining, cutscenes and camera work, and triggering, which seem to be the cornerstones of any World Editor effort.

I hope to be continuing to read here and at the other sites dedicated to the World Editor and W3 mapping, and I hope that nobody becomes annoyed at any particularly newbish questions I might ask.

As for my first question: I've read acronyms for several different general catagories of W3 map. RPG and melee are straightforward enough, but what is a hero arena? Or a hero defense? Or an AoS or Maul map? I'm quite familiar with DotA, but I haven't really play anything other than melee and DotA.

Also, are there any maps, single-player RPG maps in particular, that I should be sure to look at as good examples? To be honest, the last time I dug around for RPG maps, all the ones I downloaded ended up being either multiplayer or... frankly, really bad.

Level 24
Welcome to the Hivework shop and may you have a prosperous time here. If you are intersted in a topic in particular I recommend the Tutorials (no shame in that). If you are interested and getting started in mapmaking just contact me and I'll be glad to do whatever.

ENJOY THE HIVE!!

Additional note check out the King of Dragons map

Status
Not open for further replies.