• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[JASS] An interesting bug with GUI compiling into JASS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 40
Well, since GUIers were complaining about not being able to make functions, even with a little Custom Scripts, or anything, (like they can do with locals), I came up with a theory, and gave it a test -- it worked!

When you have a GUI trigger such as

• bleh
  • Events
  • Something Happens
  • Conditions
  • Actions
  • Do Something
Sure, you can add locals and stuff like this:

• bleh
  • Events
  • Something Happens
  • Conditions
  • Actions
  • Custom Script: local real pi = 3.14159
  • Do Something
But it seemed, up till now, that you couldn't add functions.

Anyways, I found out that you can effectively cut short the 'Trigger_bleh_Actions' function block and inject your own functions into the 'actions' of GUI, with parameters, returns, and all that, and even put GUI in it!

Basically, you're cutting off the Actions function prematurely, then injecting function declarations, like this. (here's an example of a GUI trigger used solely to hold custom functions)

• bleh
  • Events
  • Conditions
  • Actions
  • Custom Script: endfunction
  • Custom Script: function ZomgGUIParameterReturnFunction takes unit u, real cheese, real pie returns integer
  • Custom Script: return 5
Will still inject the normal 'endfunction' line at the "end of the Trigger_bleh_Actions" function. However, since the other endfunction cut it short, the next line is outside of any statements, and can thus declare a new function. Then, you don't need the final endfunction because GUI injects it in the hope of terminating 'Trigger_bleh_Actions'

This compiles a little weirdly, as it still takes default indenting, so that the result (actions only) would look something like

JASS:
function Trig_bleh_Actions takes nothing returns nothing
----endfunction
----function ZomgGUIParameterReturnFunction takes unit u, real cheese, real pie returns integer
----return 5
endfunction

(note - dashes represent spaces... for some reason, the JASS tag was removing the spaces)

So sure, the indenting is a little nasty, but if you don't plan on converting it anyways... I just thought people may find this interesting

Level 9
Cool

Wow, that could be useful...
Of coarse this is still JASS not GUI so it wouldnt pass in GUI comps and it would mess up a trigger?
The only function being triggered by the event is ended by adding a function. So since you cant forward referance you would have a slight problem... But you could always use ExecuteFunction and it might work quite well...

Level 11
Well, they could write those functions into the custum script section of the map (you know, i'm talking about that thing that nobody can explain where and what it is :D). It's easier than writing those 'endfunction'-s and such. BUT, it's interesting that you discovered PurplePoot! I'd never thought of it...

Level 40
That's actually how I guessed it x.x

Anyways, you can't put all JASS in a GUI trigger, as Custom Script tags crash the map after they reach a certain length

And pask -- the Custom Script section is JASS, so that's not really different than putting it in a JASSified "Trigger". Also, you can put GUI actions in the functions this way, so even a GUIer who knows these 2 trick lines (plus how to call a function through Custom Script tags) can make their own functions like this

Status
Not open for further replies.