• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Alternate Campaign models

Status
Not open for further replies.
So lately I've been drifting from project to project, and I think I've come upon a real keeper here. What I have in mind is a retelling of the Human and Undead Campaigns, from the perspectives of Arthas' right and left hand men, Falric and Marwyn, with some inclusion of Luc Valenforth.

Just now, I've essentially finished the four versions of Falric, but I don't know what to do for Marwyn and Luc Valenforth's facial features, or their roles alongside Falric.

I'll be posting each finished version of Luc and Marwyn, as I complete them. However, ideas are welcome.

Attachments

• Falrics.png
    Falrics.png
    462.8 KB · Views: 3,308
While the models in Warcraft III use very goofy proportions, I think these models don't quite follow that style. I tried scaling down the head very very slightly in Photoshop and it looked better. The golden trim at the bottom of the cloth hanging from his waist in the General and Northern Front gear bothers me a bit. I would expect the trim to go along the side of the cloth as well, but I imagine that this is only possible with adjustments to the texture. I would suggest simply removing the trim. The Royal Guard version looks quite good, but the wrap on the upper part of the helmet needs a lot of work. Other than that, they look quite nice. I'd love to see these characters in play. That whole time period in Warcraft lore is quite interesting and Falric and Marwyn are characters that are completely open to exploration.

All three of these characters are so open to interpretation that you could do anything, were you not forced to use textures already in the game files. Marwyn and Falric's voices are, from my perspective, opposites in World of Warcraft. Falric comes across as a strong, commanding character, while Marwyn is more of a sinister "does the dirty work" type. Your model for Falric is already consistent with this interpretation. The strong jaw and clean shaven face makes him look strong and charismatic. Perhaps for Marwyn you could do the opposite and make him thinner and less impressive and give him some facial hair to make him look rougher. It really depends on what the needs of your campaign's narrative are.

What I'd really intended, was to have Marwyn, Falric and Luc Valenforth work off eachother. I'd already built into the earlier versions of Falric, a brighter version of the Roar spellcast graphic.

He's a general, he sounds the warcry and leads the charge.

I suppose I could build up Marwyn to look more or less like he has the face of a bandit. Not the Bandit creep, mind you, but a weasel and thief, with lighter armor and a polearm?

I suppose I could build up Marwyn to look more or less like he has the face of a bandit. Not the Bandit creep, mind you, but a weasel and thief, with lighter armor and a polearm?

You don't necessarily even need to go that far. You can, but it again depends on what you want. Even just adding subtle things like facial hair or stubble or giving him a smaller build might make him look edgier.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Posting to Subscribe.

Yeah, to make a guy "evil" doesn't take a whole lot; most of it should be in the posture, anyway, and not the mesh/texture. Give him a bit of stubble, sure, but focus on his animations; a stubborn set to the jaw, a sort of sideways slouch (lowered frame), a bit of a lugubrious or furtive air as he looks around... Etc.

Oh, I don't intend for him to be evil, at first. However, I think having his hair grow out until he becomes a Death Knight would be cool; right now I have it short, in a small ponytail.

I'm already setting Marwyn up as a support character, carrying a polearm, and eventually a Runescythe. I'm just trying to figure out his kit before I do his spell animations.

Level 18
Maybe use Kil'Jaeden's armor for the death knight, it's grittier and less golden. And find some higher-res texture instead of the Belt of giant strength, it just clashes too much with the rest. Also you really need to shrink the heads, the guys a bit like gnomes now. But I like the original meshes. Keep it up.

Just gonna give a little heads up on Marwyn. Because I haven't found any backstory on him, I've decided on a storyline for him, making him a former headsman, town defender, and eventually, a Royal Guard with Falric. He even still uses his Headsman's Axe.

Now I'd think it just fits perfectly for him to become a sort of Death Knight "Reaper", wielding a scythe, taking lives from the other side.

I'm only going to bump this once, and then edit this post later with a completed version of the Lordaeron version of Marwyn. The campaign I have in mind is all about Falric and Marwyn's adventures while Arthas is off waging war against whichever enemy he's facing at the time, leading up to the defeat of Mal'Ganis, Arthas' turn to evil, and his raising of the two as Death Knights.

I'm thinking that Marwyn will stay the same for the entire Lordaeron campaign, and upto a point in the Northrend campaign. His hair is originally brown, but I'm pretty dead-set on having him grab some sort of "Orb of Shadows" that will turn his hair black, and set the stage for the Shadow spells I have in mind for the Death Knight version of Marwyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.