• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Alternate Ability Panel on Hero/Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Preface: I'm guessing this is part triggering, part other so I felt guilty just restricting it to the triggering forum. If someone thinks it would fit better there, please move it.

So I created two triggers that change back and forth between to inventories for a hero by switching the two sets of items out, as well as changing the size of the inventory from 4 (Default in my game), to 6 (for backpack).

What I would like to do in tandem with this, is when I open the second inventory (the backpack), it also hides all of the heroes default abilities (move, stop, attack, etc) and opens up a second ability panel. While the default abilities are hidden and the backpack is open they should still be able to be used through right-click, etc. However, the displaying abilities should be a secondary panel of dummy spells I've chosen that the player can use and see while the backpack is open. The player should not be able to use any of the dummy spells while the backpack is closed.

I thought about using some sort of openable spell book but I want the Change to be triggered off an item being activated in the heroes inventory (called backpack), that is then temporarily removed from their inventory; I couldn't think of any logical way to implement that. I also don't want players to be able to "close" out of the abilities like they can with normal item spellbooks.

I'd also like to avoid using any sort of "unit" replacement where the hero-unit looks and sounds, etc the same but just has different abilities or something like that.

Thank you in advanced for any help.
+Rep to people who work with me constructively through multiple posts, and to the person who gives me an easy functional solution. :grin:

Level 10
Umm, i dont know if this will help you or not but here is a map i was making with a large equipment system that is fully functioning. When you start game you can find armor and weapons in town to try it out.

EDIT: Removed map so i could post elsewhere.

Last edited:
Level 3
Wolfhelm your equip/backpack menu is a living representation of what I want, except that I want it to trigger off the use of an item in the inventory (which is then moved out of the inventory), and I don't want the player to be able to use the "Close button" in the bottom right corner of your backpack screen. If you can help with either of those please tell me ^_^.

On another note, can I use the icons your using as your "Equipment Slots"? I haven't been able to find any like that.

EDIT: Oh funny.... you put the exit in. Well that solves my confusion about spellbook. Any idea how to open up a spellbook that isn't in your inventory? Or maybe there is a way to open up a disabled backpack spellbook ability that I give to every hero? If anyone can think of ways of doing those, it'd be much appreciated. I'd also like to make sure, if I go with the spellbook method, that using an ability in the spellbook wouldn't exit the spellbook.

EDIT 2: Oh, I actually hadn't noticed that you were using a separate model for the change in ability panel and not a spellbook. That might cancel the first edit in this post.... Oh well. +rep for your help either way.

Last edited:
Level 10
Yeah its a unit not spell book. But i know of a way to do all that without a second unit, just spellbooks like you originaly thought.

Of course you can use those icon's there not even mine. xD

Im having a hard time truly understand what it is you are looking for. My only suggestion is that you use the inventory (the normal wc3 inventory that is) for items that are used to cast spells and the backpack (the thing i created) for all passive ability items. Otherwise i cant imagine a way you could use a item without un-equiping it unless you make it so the unit can never take the item off.

Status
Not open for further replies.