• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

All My Friends (Are Cubes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39

I don't even know.

Attachments

• All My Friends (Are Cubes)(title).png
    All My Friends (Are Cubes)(title).png
    1.8 MB · Views: 255
  • All My Friends (Are Cubes).png
    All My Friends (Are Cubes).png
    1.7 MB · Views: 263
Level 34
I find it grainy?! The only way I can describe it is to compare it to a really high ISO in low light (on a camera).

I really like the depth of field, the lighting of the building, and the blocks themselves.
I question the brightness/amount of screen usage of the sun. I get almost frustrated by it because I can't see the blocks as well as I'd like. Perhaps this is intended, and if so, great job and screw you.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Not sure if I dig the little blue guy, though.
I thought that might pick at your sore spots. :V

Not saying it has to be there for the terrain on its own, but for the contest and the theme it plays a pivotal role (at least for my interpretation of it).

I find it grainy?! The only way I can describe it is to compare it to a really high ISO in low light (on a camera).
Little trick I pulled with an additive model placed in front of the camera. :)

Helps shitloads with how the light plays with the grass.

May try a different approach.

I question the brightness/amount of screen usage of the sun. I get almost frustrated by it because I can't see the blocks as well as I'd like. Perhaps this is intended, and if so, great job and screw you.
It is both to avoid EOTW and boost floral lighting.

Also I wanted to try a lens flare effect.

Level 34
Little trick I pulled with an additive model placed in front of the camera. :)

Helps shitloads with how the light plays with the grass.

May try a different approach.
Not sure I like it, although I would be curious to see what it looks like without it before having a firm opinion.

It is both to avoid EOTW and boost floral lighting.

Also I wanted to try a lens flare effect.
Ahh, makes sense. I wonder then if it just ends too abruptly and isn't blinding enough.

This was the best example I could find after a quick search. I think the cube closest to viewer should be brighter. Perhaps. This is getting really nit-picky though. Mostly the grain bothers me.
Shooting%2BFor%2BLens%2BFlare.jpg

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Not sure I like it, although I would be curious to see what it looks like without it before having a firm opinion.
Okay.

This blurfgh.png is what it looks like without the additive model placed in front of the camera.

I don't know, it is just more monotonous.

Also I did some changes so it doesn't affect the sky as much. Is this less grainy?

Attachments

• blafurgh.png
    blafurgh.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 588
Level 34
Definitely a lot better. So much better. Can't decide between the one with the (glow?) model and the one without. I like the model, but it seems a tad too green? Is that simply how it interacts with the vegetation?

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Can't decide between the one with the (glow?) model and the one without. I like the model, but it seems a tad too green? Is that simply how it interacts with the vegetation?
It's actually a bush with its material filter mode set to additive and scaled up to cover the grass. What I wanted was [slightly] random green variations to the red/brown grass. The sun and glow models just really enhanced it and I just sorta went with it.

Cool terrain pic, Your terraining skill is so awesome because you make the light effects amazing .
Thanks. I put a lot of thought into that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.