• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Defense / Survival] Alien Invasion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I'M BACK! (It's been awhile)

Alien Invasion 2
Into the depths
Defender Update

Introduction
Alien Invasion 2 is a game about strategy. As one of two teams, your objective is to either destroy or defend the Master Control Unit while maintaining an income.

Humans, as many games would show them, are very defensive. Modest pricing and upgrades make them ideal for defending locations. But they are on the offensive.
Aliens, on the other hand, are offensive and aggressive. Cheap costs, quick build times, and swarming are great when taking over. But they've got a ship to defend.

Teamwork is a large part of this game. Being able to coordinate roles, defences and attacks decide who wins or loses. To end the game 30 minutes must pass, all Humans must die or the Master Control Unit must be destroyed. To destroy the MCU, the Humans must finish a research that will make the building destructible.
While waiting to complete your goal, keep an eye on your income. The map contains 9 Control Points to give you better income. The more CPs you control, the higher your income becomes. It is a multiplier, and 0 does not multiply.

Humans

Aliens

Screenshots

Credits

10 years ago Tarmac Assembly Aircraft (TAAC) had seen a spacecraft of theirs crash and infect the nearby city with an alien organism (code name Alpha-Tango). With a quick response and sufficient firepower, the ship was cleansed.
The city grew and the ship lost its intended role of flight and largely became an underground facility. The damage to the environment brought the city to mining and manufacturing, and conflict has evaded the city since.
But today is a red letter day, and the alien threat has returned. Alpha-Tango is suspected to have returned, and the military have sent a team of elite Combat-Engineers to break into the electrical systems of the vessel and destroy the Master Control Unit.
Technology has vastly increased since the last emergency, and a small elite team is not enough. The Combat-Engineers have the ability to build and power an army of robots, research energy shielding and construct missiles while on the battlefield.

Strategy
The Humans have to destroy the Master Control Unit, which starts the game as invulnerable. To fix this, you must research an Override which takes 5 minutes to research and a load of gold to begin. Once the process starts, the Aliens will be alerted of the location of the researching structure. Once the override completes, you have to take out the MCU in the center of the ship.
As a Human, your strength is in quality more than quantity. Upgrade to increase efficiency and build defences. Then, when the time comes, strike fast and hard to break into the ship and destroy the MCU.
The Humans have the tactical advantage, however, with 2 minutes to capture 6 of the 9 Control Points with no competition. Spread your bases out to defend these points to ensure the most income you can get.

The time has come, my children. I, the Allsera, have waited dormant for a couple years to see the light of day once more. These humans are valuable assets for our survival, and control of this city will allow us to gather the children lost in space.
In the time I've spent in the depths, I have been able to find and wield new mutation strains. Armoured husks, fast swarmers and crushing tanks are not far away. Keep control of the ship, my children, for this small puddle will turn into an unstoppable tidal wave.

Strategy
Aliens focus on researches to get better units. As the game goes on, new and better units get used; mixing and matching the to-be many mutation strains is the key to a balanced army. While units are cheap, researches are less so.
Aliens have a great advantage in that they have 2 entrances to defend, however, you'll be spending most of your time on the other side, keeping the Humans in their base. And while you're out there, you have reign over the neutral Control Points.
If the Aliens can coordinate effective attack waves, victory is but 4 engineers away.

01.jpg | 02.jpg
03.jpg | 04.jpg
05.jpg | 06.jpg
07.jpg | 08.jpg
01b.jpg | 02b.jpg
This map uses quite a bit of custom content, and this map has quite the timeline. Here is a compilation of names of people who own content within this map.
Note: some models lack authors to give credit to.
The_Silent
-BerZeKeR-
Elunes-Guardian
Scythy Dervish
Fingolfin
communist_orc
Kofi_Banan
BlackSebastian
Illidan(Evil)X
killst4r
Tr!KzZ
Mr. Bob
Darkfang
GhostThruster
Stanakin Skywalker
Thrikodius
Debode
Lil_Scubby

PS: Tr!KzZ, this is what your trailer model went towards.

Release Details
2v0.2b
(Released: October 17, 2012)

Where is this map? In public testing. With dabs of most things in the game, I thought it smart to get feedback. I warn you, this is an early version, and your dog might get eaten or house destroyed. That said, it's playable, winnable and (fingers crossed) enjoyable.
Terrain: Well Underway
Income System: Underway
Control/Win/Lose Systems: Fully Functional
Units: Basics
Weather: Dysfunctional
Learners Guide: Somewhat There
Where I Think The Map Stands: Alpha: Feedback Required

Want to help? Download the map, play, send feedback, wash, rinse and repeat. Replay videos are very helpful, but be sure to PM to me. It might even get you into the credits.

This map is NOT protected, and should never be. Feel free to wreak havoc in my map, but know I will post any official (or officially sponsored) versions here.

I'm probably forgetting something, but I'll add that in when I remember it. Please send feedback.

Attachments

• AV2_v0.2b.w3x
    3.4 MB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Level 10
It would seem that the Aliens won the battle before it even began.
The Defender Update has been shoved out, and it changes quite a bit of gameplay. Thanks to feedback from various players, I've modified some units, changed income and remade the victory system.
First up, you can play the game without the Aliens winning before you attack each other. I'm still wondering how I didn't catch that.
Alien's and Human's income have been altered, and the Humans start the game with 5 or 9 Control Points.
Alien units have been balanced slightly, along with a couple Human units. The Chaos Beast is now more like what it will be in the final release.
The Master Control Unit must be destroyed rather than having a unit enter a region. However, to remove the invulnerability ability on the MCU, the Humans must research "Override": a 5 minute research that also pings/reveals the researching unit. Prepare for some attacks. Note that once this is researched, it is removed from all players to prevent accidental resource loss.
There are no new units, no terrain changes or event additions, hence it is only a half-step update. Please play and give me feedback, the file can be found in post #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.