• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Air units "pushing" each others around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello guys,

I'm doing something with custom unit physics and I've been stumbling across one annoying problem I remember I had to deal with 10+ years ago already.

I want to use air units as a basis for my movement system. Units get moved periodically by triggers. For that I need them to be able to go across cliffs and all kinds of pathing objects (units, doodas and such). Generally they shouldn't have any collision but still use the flying height.

Turns out, as you might know from melee games, air units always seem to push themselves apart from each other if they are too close. This also cannot be prevented by keeping the units moving through triggers, for example. I really need units to behave like air units except for this "pushing" effect.

Is there any way to turn this behavior off, at all?

I've tried:
- turning off collisions via "Unit - Turn collision for (Last created unit) Off."
- using ground units and giving/removing Crow Form, which results in the same behavior
- using the movement type "hover" with a movementspeed will make my units cross cliffs, why is that? If i set the movement speed to 0 (they don't naturally move but get pushed by triggers), they are not able to be pushed across cliffs anymore

Any ideas? I'm really desperate with this one.

Level 3
Tried giving the units the “ghost (visible)” ability? That might be fruitful.

You can forcibly move units into collidable objects and across cliffs using SetUnitX and SetUnitY in JASS/Lua.

Ghost (visible) doesn't help, already tried that. I'm not using JASS right now, but just using X and Y would need much more calculating as I'm using unit facing angles and such. Trying to avoid that for now...

setfalse.png
Set that to false.

Status
Not open for further replies.