• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Adding a special effect to an invisible dummy unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi all,

I recently read somewhere that it's possible to use the same dummy for all of one's custom abilities. In the past, I've been making a new unit with a different model every time, but this would definitely be preferable, as the former clutters up my unit palette.

I'm running into a problem though: if I enter "none.mdl" for the dummy's model, none of the special effects I add to it are visible.

I tried making the dummy incredibly small, which kind of worked, but it's definitely not ideal; I can still see it, and it still makes death noises when it dies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Level 39
You can use special effects directly now since you can set their animations, vertex color, and position with triggers. Otherwise, any attached effects inherit their model scale from the unit they’re attached to (if the unit is small the effects will be small).

It’s impossible to remove the sounds associated with destroying an effect. The best you can do is move the effect to a location on the map that players cannot see, then destroy it. I’ve written a simple library to do this in my Modular Mouse Spells spellpack in the resources. You are welcome to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.