• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Adding a mana cost to the basic unit attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I feel almost stupid for having to ask this. It sounds like it should be one of the simplest ability modifications in the world but for some reason I am completely blanking out on it.

I need to apply a small mana cost to the basic attack ability so that units must return to their bases in order to "reload" their attack and continue fighting. The map I am making is a standard RTS meant for small ranged-attack armies with powerful weapons and adding a mana cost to the basic attack ability would go a long ways towards balancing the current version of my map.

If anybody can help I would appreciate it immensely. If you need to know more before offering your help just let me know.

Thanks.

Level 9
I can think of 2 options for you to choose:
1. Removing the basic attack and use the autocast ability that uses on attack such as searing arrows, etc... in order to make it cost mana
2. Each attack of the unit of type X you do the trigger:
Check unit's mana = 0 equal to false
Then
Set mana of X = Current Mana of X - (number you want)
Else
Order unit to stop

Status
Not open for further replies.