• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

About GUI and JASS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello, I've been following this proyect since the past to years, but theres one thing that cought my attention.
Firstly, back then, the team were only recruiting GUI trigerers, but now, the team only recruits Jass triggeres, and my question is, why?. Thanks if anyone can answer this question.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Because GUI is totally usless and a project of this scale would be impossible using GUI. Not only does GUI leak when processing handles (leaks the handleID for destructable handles) but it also is a lot slower that JASS code designed to do the same thing.

In the end all good maps nowdays are being done with atleast 50% JASS, and that is the way it will be.

Blame blizzard for having an idiot design GUI.

Level 25
Couldn't have said it better myself. With the exception that we do not even dare mixing JASS with GUI because the two have caused conflicts before. Not sure why, but apparently JASS + GUI + Campaign Mode = Critical Errors in some cases, depending what your JASS triggers do. We've dealt with enough recoding at this point and do not want to risk having to worry about whether GUI and JASS will collide again... so from now on, vJASS/JASS (same thing really) are the only types of triggers you'll find in Wc3:WoW from this point forward. JASS can create much more complex systems that also run much smoothly than if it were done in GUI - if GUI could even create half the systems we're adding in Wc3:WoW.

"Blame blizzard for having an idiot design GUI." - Made me laugh, because it's true. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.