• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ability increasing unit attack range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
  • Long Shot
  • Events
  • Unit - A unit Learns a skill
  • Conditions
  • (Learned Hero Skill) Equal to Long Shot
  • Actions
  • Unit - Set (Learning Hero) acquisition range to (600.00 + ((Real((Level of Long Shot for (Learning Hero)))) x 100.00))
Its supposed to make the ability "Long Shot" improve the units attack range. But for some reason it doesnt. What could be wrong?

Level 3
Looks pretty good to me.
I was just playing around with range increasement, and i guess that the whole aqucisition range increasement doesnt really work.

I had a unit with 400 range and just for testing i tried to increase it every second by 100...

By the way the attack itself has what range ? The attack should have range set to 999999. (max)

Level 10
I answered this question a long-ass time ago, set its range to as high as it can go, then set aquistic range to what u want it to be able to attack at, change that with triggers.

Level 9
Acquisition range is not the same as normal range. Normal range is how far you shoot, acq range is how far you go to attack someone. Acq range is always more than normal range.

EDIT: Odd, I just tested it and it works...something must be going odd.

Level 10
Or i was right in the first place, regardless of wich each do aquistic is what shows up when mousing over attack icon ingame and it is the max distance you can attack from.

Level 3
It will not work for me.
Just tell me whats wrong:

I have my tower which has 400 aquc. range and its attacks (2) both set range to 20000. Weapon Type is instant.

When i make a trigger to change the aquc. range to 1000 for testing purpose it wont change a thing. Game still shows 400.... What shell I do ?

Tested it again. Placed a Unit. Made a trigger go off after 20 sec. set aquc range to da higher value... nothing happens....

WHAT IS WRONG ?

Level 10
Johannesr what i posted works, your doing something wrong. Either post the map or let this thread die. We cant help you anymore without actualy looking at the problem because we have posted the solution.

I posted the link to show you that it works and there was a whole thread backing it up.

Level 2
I made a thread similar to this one a little while ago, and its still in this forum actually... anyways, I have the same problem, I can't change the aquisition range using triggers. I'll try exactly what is posted here, but so far I have had no success with it. You can see the code for what I did in the 'Changing Attack Range' thread

Level 2
I tried using this in a new map with nothing on it. I used a Blood Mage as my hero, and Banish as the skill that increases range. The following code is what I put in my map, but nothing happened when my hero learned the skill. I changed the Blood Mage's range to 5000 and his acquisition range to 600. When I learned banish, the range remained at 600.

• Test
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Learns a skill
    • Conditions
      • (Learned Hero Skill) Equal to Banish
    • Actions
      • Unit - Set (Learning Hero) acquisition range to (600.00 + ((Real((Level of Banish for (Learning Hero)))) x 200.00))

Level 24
About the trigger, maybe Triggering Unit instead of Learning Unit? No idea.

Anyways, Attack Range is how far the unit has the potential to shoot, Acquisition Range is how far the unit will actually shoot (note that everything within acquisition range will be shot). If Attack Range is lower than Acquisition Range, the latter field becomes how close an enemy unit needs to be for the attacking unit to start chasing said enemy.

Level 6
the idea with attack range of 99999 and aquisition range of 500-700 is the dumbest thing you can do. aquisition is the range inside which your unit will auto-engage enemie; but by using manual attack order, you can shoot over entire map!

so, if you give it max attack range then (aos example:) your ranged unit can sit the entire game next to the fountain and attack units over entire map (target unit just needs to be visible and you see everything your allies see).

and do some search, people - we get a new "increasing unit attack range" thread every two weeks...

Level 24
edge[d1];288433 said:
the idea with attack range of 99999 and aquisition range of 500-700 is the dumbest thing you can do. aquisition is the range inside which your unit will auto-engage enemie; but by using manual attack order, you can shoot over entire map!

so, if you give it max attack range then (aos example:) your ranged unit can sit the entire game next to the fountain and attack units over entire map (target unit just needs to be visible and you see everything your allies see).

You fucking fail :grin::grin::grin:.
Gost has tested that, I've said that too. Acquisition Range is the absolute farthest a unit will shoot. Like you, I have also stopped in one of these threads to say that if you set the Attack Range really high they can just sit and manual attack. Gost proved me wrong by testing.
You fucking fail again for being an asshole about it, too :grin::grin::grin:.

edge[d1];288433 said:
and do some search, people - we get a new "increasing unit attack range" thread every two weeks...
Take your own advice before you go around being an asshat. Also, l3rn2r34d, johannesr said that he had another thread, he was asking WHY the trigger didn't work, not how to do it.

Level 17
I just noticed something, the units attack range didnt change but its sight range did, i mean he could see the target from a few metres from the place he did without the ability, but it still had to run to the same spot to attack... (i did set the units normal range to 5000) so acquistion range DOESNT improve attack range, only the range from which the unit auto-aquires the target.

Level 24
So... how many people have said Acquisition Range is how far a unit can attack? Obviously, something is going wrong.

Level 24
In another thread about this, it said long rifles can go from 100 to 200 but not 200 to 100. You could probably have separate upgrades to go up and down (have one give positive bonus, one negative).

Level 3
When you make a new custom upgrade it wont message.....

The prob with the upgrade issue is that it cant be redone.... :/

Level 2
It looks to me like the trigger for changing a unit's acquisition range doesn't work at all. I even tried using the unit directly in the trigger instead of "Hero Manipulating Item" or "Hero Learning Skill".
Maybe a message should be sent directly to Blizzard Tech Support to ask if that trigger even does anything.

Level 21
Add the following action to the trigger:

Game - text message to all players - Boo!

if Boo! comes up your screen, you know the trigger ran but apparently it didn't do the stuff you wanted it to do. If "Boo!" didn't appear, the trigger didn't run.

Now I skipped reading anything of this, I'll look into it tomorrow maybe, but I'm going to sleep now.

Level 2
Add the following action to the trigger:

Game - text message to all players - Boo!

if Boo! comes up your screen, you know the trigger ran but apparently it didn't do the stuff you wanted it to do. If "Boo!" didn't appear, the trigger didn't run.

Now I skipped reading anything of this, I'll look into it tomorrow maybe, but I'm going to sleep now.

I know already that the trigger works. I have been trying to change acquisition range in a map of mine for a while now, and I had a thread asking about it too. Anyways, everything else in that trigger works EXCEPT the acquisition range part. That one piece was the only one that failed, and I had tested the entire thing alot b4, so I know the rest works.

And for using upgrades, that wont work for me. I want to be able to change the range of many units, some of them on the same teams. I want it to be that when a unit uses a certain item their range changes, but if the drop the item their range goes back to normal.

Level 6
Teh_Ephy said:
You fucking fail .
Gost has tested that, I've said that too. Acquisition Range is the absolute farthest a unit will shoot. Like you, I have also stopped in one of these threads to say that if you set the Attack Range really high they can just sit and manual attack. Gost proved me wrong by testing. You fucking fail again for being an asshole about it, too

okay, i fired up the editor and found out that the rude kid was right. mostly.

"Acquisition Range is the absolute farthest a unit will shoot." <- wrong.
Acquisition Range is what we established it is.
now min(Acquisition Range, Attack Range) is the maximum range a unit can fire from. that value, in fact is what you can read as unit range in-game (in a tooltip) if you put your mouse over the attack icon.

further tests show that the value from above is constant - it uses aq range you set in object editor, and ignores the triggers (although the range of choosing targets and moving to engage them does increase).

hence, (as far as i can tell) it is not possible to use the "unit - set aq range" action to increase the attack range.

bottom line: i'd stick with the "upgrade approach"...

And for using upgrades, that wont work for me. I want to be able to change the range of many units, some of them on the same teams. I want it to be that when a unit uses a certain item their range changes, but if the drop the item their range goes back to normal.

that makes things easier. make an orb for that. orbs and orb abilities can increase attack range (for example searing arrows ability does that on level 2). just set the correct targets.

Level 24
edge[d1], you fucking fail again, I said exactly what you said before you came into this thread, yours was just formated nicer. Take your own advice and learn to search.

Attack Range is how far the unit has the potential to shoot, Acquisition Range is how far the unit will actually shoot (note that everything within acquisition range will be shot). If Attack Range is lower than Acquisition Range, the latter field becomes how close an enemy unit needs to be for the attacking unit to start chasing said enemy.

If you use an autocast orb ability like Searing Arrows, you have to manually attack to get the range boost.

Also I'm not rude unless it's possible to perceive that someone other than me started it.

Level 2
Well I do see a way that I may be able to make this work for me, it will just take a little more effort. First of all, my map includes one hero for each player. Players also have other units, but only one hero. What I am trying to use this for is if a unit uses a certain item (its a space map with marines; they can get assault rifles, shotguns, etc) it changes their attack rate, attack range, damage, etc. I have alot of different hero's, and it would take up too much time and space to make a whole bunch of separate units for each weapon.

I could make separate units for each weapon for the non-hero units, and that would solve half the problem. For hero's, I could use the upgrade (since each player has only one hero), but that upgrade would have to be reversible. Is it possible to reverse an upgrade like this?

Level 24
Well I do see a way that I may be able to make this work for me, it will just take a little more effort. First of all, my map includes one hero for each player. Players also have other units, but only one hero. What I am trying to use this for is if a unit uses a certain item (its a space map with marines; they can get assault rifles, shotguns, etc) it changes their attack rate, attack range, damage, etc. I have alot of different hero's, and it would take up too much time and space to make a whole bunch of separate units for each weapon.

I could make separate units for each weapon for the non-hero units, and that would solve half the problem. For hero's, I could use the upgrade (since each player has only one hero), but that upgrade would have to be reversible. Is it possible to reverse an upgrade like this?

I believe I have said have upgrades that give negative range boosts.

Level 2
Ok negative upgrades... sounds good to me, but how do I use them? To do a negative upgrade, will I need two different upgrades, one for the boost and one for back to normal?

If so, then I can make an upgrade for each weapon, as well as an upgrade for when the unit is unarmed (I want them to go melee). I would have it so that when the unit uses the weapon they get the corresponding upgrade. Will this work, or have I got it wrong?

Level 2
I just tested this out in my map with only partial success. I made two upgrades, one for increasing the range and the other for decreasing. Then I made these triggers (Sniper Rifle and Sniper Rifle - Undo are the upgrades):

• RangeTest
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing -test as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Player - Set the current research level of Sniper Rifle to 1 for Player 1 (Red)
  • RangeTestUndo
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing -testundo as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Player - Set the current research level of Sniper Rifle - Undo to 1 for Player 1 (Red)
It worked the first time I tried it, and I was able to increase and then reverse the range increase. However, when I tried to do it a second time, it did nothing.

Level 24
Yeah, donut3.5 said exactly what I suggested but did not explain. Just set it for about 200 for each of them and auto fill for the range boosts. Honestly, if somebody picks up and drops the same weapon 200 times, they've got too much time on their hands.

Level 2
This whole thing with upgrades sounds too tedious and inconvenient. Is there another way? Are there any abilities or buffs/effects that increase range?

When I was looking at the Long Rifles upgrade, I noticed a section saying "Data Effect 1" or something along those lines. When opened up this field gave a selection of a bunch of effects, and the selected one was something like "Increase Range" (check in the editor under the Long Rifles upgrade if you want the exact names). I'm wondering, are there any abilities that have this "Data Effect 1"? If so, then I could just select the "Increase Range" and use abilities. Or is there any other way to access this effect?

Level 2
Rats, that sucks. Well I guess I'm scrapping this whole weapons system. It isn't critical to my map, and I don't want to make 200 upgrades for each weapon. Thx anyways

Level 2
Oh 200 upgrades... that should work :)
Ok now I know exactly what to do for my map. For the heroes I'll use this upgrade system with a whole bunch of upgrades for each... upgrade... lolz
Ill just replace units with other ones
thx

Level 24
Just in case you aren't aware of it, there is an auto-fill function for fields with multiple levels. Right click any level of the field series you want to auto-fill, and set the field "Start at level __" to 1. It will make those 200+ levels per upgrade very easy.

Level 2
I don't see why I need to use this autofill for my upgrade here, but thx anyways. And I just found out something; the max level for an upgrade is 100. I cant set more than 100 levels! O well it should be enough anyways :)

Status
Not open for further replies.