• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Ability based on upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
hello guys
i was thinking here
How can i do an ability based on upgrade ?
if someone can answer me it would be of great help
thank you ^^

Level 12
Like in melee games?
An ability requires an upgrade?
If not, explain some more(give example).
Like Player # researches upgrade "ability_research", than enable some ability.

Level 2
Like in melee games?
An ability requires an upgrade?
If not, explain some more(give example).
Like Player # researches upgrade "ability_research", than enable some ability.

no, no
its not like that
for example
there is the upgrade
improved bows that increment the unit attack range, and i want do a ability that increment the hero attack range, like the upgrade, but i have not seen any ability that increment upgrade, and i have not seen how to do this with trigger so i was thinking, there may be a way of when you learn a ability, the hero learns the upgrade too, its more or less like that

Got ? Hope you can answer me
thanks guy

Level 12
Got it :)
Yes, if it is a hero ability when it is learned set the current research level of an upgrade(custom i suggest) for the owner of the triggering unit to the level of ability learned.
The upgrade should be one that increases range(there is one in melee games for rifleman (not sure of the name)).
In the object editor go to the hero with the the ability and almost in the bottom edit the Upgrades used and add your custom upgrade.

Level 24
That is really quite easy. . .

Look at the priest as an example.

On the ability which you want to upgrade (inner fire)
Under techtree - requirments put the name of wanted upgrade (priest adept training).

Set chech dependencies = true.
Set upgrade levels = 1.

This should solve your problem.

Oh wait, I see what you mean now.

Get the upgrade that increases range. Modify it and change "upgrades-used" on your hero to include that upgrade.

Alternitivley use a triggered event off the learning of the upgrade that increases the level of ability - "ability range upgrade"

Your welcome!

[case solved]

Level 2
thank you very much boys
this will help me very much
i will try it latter the people of the forum are helping me very much i hope that i can do the same latter

but what do you think about that?

Event
Unit learns a skill
Condition
(Learned Skill) equal to [Name of the ability]
Action
Unit-Issue Order Research
In the issue order research you put the unit like the learning unit and put the order to research the custom upgrade, so like that it will be able to gain the bonus of the upgrade when he learns the ability and the research time will be short, that way he will gain the bonus automatically

that is not finished yet, when i really finish the trigger i send it to all of you, i think that in this way it will give right
thanks for all

Level 12
No.
The action is:
Player - Set the current research level of something to level of learned ability
With upgrades there is no way to make it unit specific. The upgrade will affect all units that use it.

Look at the priest as an example.

On the ability which you want to upgrade (inner fire)
Under techtree - requirements put the name of wanted upgrade (priest adept training).

Set chech dependencies = true.
Set upgrade levels = 1.

This should solve your problem.
[case solved]

If that was the problem, that would not solve it as this will only restrict the unit from using the ability before the upgrade is researched.
To upgrade an ability via an upgrade you just need to make a custom upgrade that levels up an ability(like the necromancer upgrade from melee games). But this will work correct only with unit abilities as it would look ugly if your spell says level 468 when you have only 3 learnable levels :p

The other thing is correct but "the learning of the upgrade" should be the learning of a skill ;)

Level 24
. . .

The first half of the post was well. . . a typo. I thought it might be useful none the less and left it in. As I later stated use a trigger and make the upgrade trigger an action which increases that ability "range-set".

I misunderstood.

By the way spwin you seem like a great guy and very helpful but. . .

DO NOT ASK FOR REP IN YOUR SIGNATURE!!!

Sure i admit that it says "people who help you" but it tends to mean you.

Rep is also rather usless. What does it accomplish? Hmmm, all it does is tell people how nice you are but that could also be determined by post count usually.

So I understand that you want rep (I do too) but is it really necessary to advertise?

Edit: Sorry Type
Edit 2: Typo spelling typo

Last edited:
Level 12
I do not tell(order, force) no one to give me or anyone else rep.
I wanted just to inform people(who do not know this) that there is a rep system.
But I have an idea about that as it really seams to stand out just a bit too much.
P.s. It is signature ;)

Level 2
about the ability
Ok i will change it latter, but there is one thing in the way i said
example the upgrade would be custom right ? so only the unit that will have the ability will have this upgrade, but I will change it to be in a better form of course. When he learn the ability the upgrade will be automatically researched ? because in my seeing the upgrade need to be researched no ? If i am wrong answer me please ^^ i am not very good in the upgrade part because of that i am asking you ^^

About the rep system
I agree with spiwn in my opinion he´s not asking rep to himself, he´s asking rep to people who help and etc..... for example me, i don't know how the help system work, if anyone of you two could help me to learn that it would be very helpful, i am new around here because of that i don´t know how the rep system work.

See you around

Level 24
Hmmm, I think that you need to learn some more terminology.

So you want it so that when you learn an ability your ranged is upgraded? Right?

To do this have a trigger so when the unit learns abilityx it adds one level to abilityz

Ability z = Range Upgrade. The range upgrade would be a modified unit/item ability made into a hero abilty with say. . .100 levels.

I agree that that is what the sig says but it kinda implies that it refers to spwin himseld as the main helper
Ability x = Range Upgrade Learn.

Level 2
I know how to do it hawk900

Level of ability X = level of ability Z and etc...
i only forgot to post it xD
thank you anyway guy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.