• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A Spartan Tale 1.07i

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
A Spartan Tale is an action based team-survival map, where you try to defend the cliffs against the incoming persians.
Please note that this map CAN be played in singleplayer but is MEANT to be played with a group of friends.

Map features

-Action-based block and hit system
-Many unique artifacts such as the Zeus Shield which will electrocute enemies when you block!
-Set artifacts which you can combine to achieve even greater destruction upon Xerxes
-Various upgrades for your spartan such as increased block chance
-Hard boss fights where you will need teamwork to bring them down!
-Randomized persian equipment with different weapons, so take care which arms they bring to take you down or the battleaxe will mow your comrades down!
-Intelligent wave spawn system which notices if you'r having a hard time or are almost dying
-Visual and audio-visual effects to enhance your gameplay experience such as custom battle sounds, custom music and gore effects!
-A rage system to unleash your collected fury upon persians when you really need it!
-Zodiac signs you can choose so your team can have different roles with various advantages and disadvantages and a unique ability
-Barricade system which grants you barricades depending on the players

Credits can be viewed in the quest menu ingame.

Screenshots:

ast13.jpg

ast12.jpg

ast11.jpg

Keywords:
Hero Survival, Sparta, 300, Artifacts, Spartan, Greek, Defense, Xerxes, Action
Contents

A Spartan Tale 1.07i (Map)

Reviews
11:55, 13th Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
Level 3
Well I like this map. It's kinda hard, but it's OK. You just need to figure out how to play it.

Level 14
Ok tested.

The hero choosing was done well. There were lots of models and they were used well. I loved the Phalanx-Attack combat system thing. It suited well on the map. The items were great and the music suited for the map. There were no typos, very good. It can be played in multiplayer or singleplayer, awesome.

The terrain was nice but could still be a bit better. Awesome game you made. I love it.

Rating: 4/5

Level 7
This looks frigging fantastic, will download and test.

... Wow, that was great, everything worked nicely, nice use of models, nice object editor work, great concept with the blocking. A few extra spells would be nice but otherwise fantastic. Very approvable 4/5

Last edited:
Level 2
everybody send any command for your map hiveworkshop send for me too !
i have 20 new mail in my email of YOUR MAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
i dont know how them sent to my email!

Level 16
It is pretty entertaining that is for sure. Though I could swear it is lacking something not sure what but it is. Maybe more waves of troops? Or a wider variety of attacking soldiers. Other then that pretty dang fun.

Level 3
New version 1.06d.

Changelog:

-Ported the map to 1.24
-Added a random weather system which affects battles
-Tried to spice up the terrain a bit
-Added Poison Archers
-Added a new Miniboss
-Commanders are weaker
-Intelligent Spawn System now has greater impact when getting overwhelmed
-Singleplayer has been made slightly easier
-Spears now deal less damage to armored units
-Improved some late game code
-Fixed a bug with Collosus Form
-Reworked Smashing stuff and animations when shield bashing
-Fixed a bug concerning Shield Bash / Throw Spear
-Fixed rat not dropping items on death
-Fixed Demon Maiden Boss spawn
-Fitness upgrades and Artemis Spear are now more expensive
-Boss Monster last hit reward removed and overall reward increased
-Cheetah Zodiac sign has been weakened

1.06e Hotfix:

-Gartok and Cyrus are now weaker in singleplayer

Last edited:
Level 7
Gartoks still a bitch to kill, it took luck to get him, he took me with him[lots of running and spearing, saggi+cades in single ftw lol]
i'll whosyourdaddy my way past him, see what the whole maps like and i MIGHT even review it.

Level 1
Love the map,
it has pretty much everything you could wish for
in a action-combat-style map:

well-designed items and character classes,
well-balanced singleplayer,
and lots of fun to play with your friends!

Definitely deserves 5/5.
..but hey, I might be biased, for I betatested & helped balance it ;D

at any rate, thanks for this great addition to the WC3 map pool
and keep updating!

cheers.

Level 1
This map is really great.

I enjoyed playing it. Most of all i like the blocking and the backstab system because it makes this map very tactical.

The artefacts and upgrades gives this map a little rpg part so you can improve your spartan.

I think this map is the perfect combo of tactics and action.

greetz

Level 3
Thanks for your feedback!

Updated to 1.07g:

Changelog

-Max. players are now 6
-Added Spartan-o-Meter which displays a spartan's current status
-Added a new Miniboss
-Added three new artifacts
-Rightclicking while in rage now teleports your spartan to the unit
-Reworked revive system because it was too complicated
-Turtle's blocking bonus has been increased
-Normal blocking chance has been decreased while the chance in phalanx stance was increased
-Shield Arm upgrades now only gives phalanx bonus
-Added a maximum hit counter for throwing spears
-Updated boss player-count adjustments
-Removed pathing from archer type units so they dont block melee persians
-Reduced Zeus Spear honor cost
-Sagittarius damage reduce decreased and made static
-Maiden has been weakened
-New models for Cyrus
-Hearts of left players now get cleaned up
-Added a text tag to indicated the owner of the heart
Hotfix 1.07h:

-Map didn't compile correctly

1.07i:

-Reworked barricade conditions
-Balance adjustments
-Some bug fixes

Last edited:
Level 1
really cool map, 1 of the best 300 maps i've played.
Keep up the good work, hope to see updates soon.

Also, after playing with friends, there is some issues that really bother our experiance.
The shortcut key for Throw Spear or Sheild Bash (or that skill slot) is kinda far, (shortcut key: Y) Its workable, but would be better if youchange it to, Q W E R, any of these would do.
Boss's Knock back, we kept getting knocked back into the mountains and bugged the game.

Thats most of the issue i've faced.
hope to see new implements and also keep up the balance between gameplay, difficulty and learning curve.

Level 1
me and my bro played the map and found out some bugs:

-elephant knockback knocks our characters on top of the cliffs. [stuck characters]
-first boss randomly jumps on top of the cliff then magically disappears. [maybe hidden in the fog. ill try to simulate this again in single player]
-random 'block' status on second boss, even though we're not blocking. i know that the heroes were supposed to 'unblock' after every hit but it says 'block' even though were not.
-bugged terrain [sides of the cliff - maybe make this unpassable terrain or revise the clifftops]

i'll try to find out more. i've reached cyrus the mad in singe player mode [no cheats] using owl and his imba farming skillz. then i got squished. -_-

Level 1
My friends and i had fun playing this map, we completed it and got disappointed after finding out it was only a test D:

There were a few major bugs though. For one, u can get knockbacked by the bombs to the cliffs and u'll just get stuck there. Also, the last boss(demon maiden?) would get stuck behind the cliffs and it was quite troublesome trying to lure it near. That's all i can remember now, other than that, awesome map:thumbs_up:

Level 1
so much potential in this custom

Hi coff any later version after 1.07 i?

enjoyed this.

I know this has been a long time, but you didnt reply my email to you long time ago.