• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A smaller brush size than 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
bRBQbuW.jpg

Is it possible to make is smaller than 1? Cause I run into a problem like this where i need it to be a full block while it only snaps to the center of grid intersections. Anyway to change the way it snaps to the grid?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Is it possible to make is smaller than 1?
No because that is the smallest unit in WC3 terrain.

Cause I run into a problem like this where i need it to be a full block while it only snaps to the center of grid intersections.
Disable the fine grid. That grid is smaller than the smallest terrain unit. Even pathing units are 2*2 on that grid and they are smaller than terrain units.

Anyway to change the way it snaps to the grid?
Use SC2 which has a much finer terrain grid. WC3 terrain grid is exactly the number of units you specify in map dimensions. A 256*256 map will have exactly 257 discrete terrain nodes in each direction for you to modify.

The reason it only allows you to modify the medium grid intersections is because those are the actual terrain nodes. The texture around them is dependant on the data of nearby terrain nodes. This is done to allow blending such as is seen by the snow in the image.

Level 12
No because that is the smallest unit in WC3 terrain.

Disable the fine grid. That grid is smaller than the smallest terrain unit. Even pathing units are 2*2 on that grid and they are smaller than terrain units.

Use SC2 which has a much finer terrain grid. WC3 terrain grid is exactly the number of units you specify in map dimensions. A 256*256 map will have exactly 257 discrete terrain nodes in each direction for you to modify.

The reason it only allows you to modify the medium grid intersections is because those are the actual terrain nodes. The texture around them is dependant on the data of nearby terrain nodes. This is done to allow blending such as is seen by the snow in the image.

1. Not sure what "fine grid" refers too. Changing the grid with "G" hotkey is probably not what you are referring too.
2. SC2 is StarCraft2 ? So you are saying that I should use it's editor? If so, how is it possible to open Wc3 maps in SC2 editor?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
1. Not sure what "fine grid" refers too. Changing the grid with "G" hotkey is probably not what you are referring too.
It is what I am referring to. Toggle grid off. Then toggle course grid on (4 tile grid). Then toggle medium grid on (1 tile grid). Do not press it again as that toggles on the fine grid (1/4 of a tile). The smallest terrain element is a node which is at the corner of each tile (hence why it centres the tool there).

2. SC2 is StarCraft2 ? So you are saying that I should use it's editor? If so, how is it possible to open Wc3 maps in SC2 editor?
You need to start from scratch. However its terrain is slightly finer grained than WC3.

Level 12
It is what I am referring to. Toggle grid off. Then toggle course grid on (4 tile grid). Then toggle medium grid on (1 tile grid). Do not press it again as that toggles on the fine grid (1/4 of a tile). The smallest terrain element is a node which is at the corner of each tile (hence why it centres the tool there).

You need to start from scratch. However its terrain is slightly finer grained than WC3.

Disabling the grid doesn't make the snapping behave differently.
Edit: and also, i need a map for Wc3 so I won't be using the SC2 editor

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Disabling the grid doesn't make the snapping behave differently.
Should it? I already explained the snapping is because the smallest element you can edit are the terrain nodes which are uniformly distributed in X and Y.

The medium grid makes you aware of the nodes. Each element you manipulate with terrain will snap to the middle of these nodes (which are where the medium grid lines intersect as seen in the picture you posted) as that is the actual terrain node area. It is impossible to edit the space in-between nodes as there are no nodes there to edit.

What you see with terrain is a composite of two units of 3 nearby terrain nodes to form what appears to be a square 2D area. This might give you the misconception that terrain is this area however in reality the tile type, Z offset, flags etc are all determined by the nodes which are located at the 4 corners of this area. It snaps to places with the node in the centre to emphasise that that is the node you will edit. A brush size of less than 1 makes no sense since then it might not always select a node and as such no change will occur.

To understand more I would recommend reading up about the .w3e file format. That is the format used by WC3 to store terrain node data in your map so also defines the limits of what the terrain can do. For example there are as many water heights as there are ground heights, a feature the editor hides from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.