• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A Shire RPG story concept!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Well guys, I know I'm kind of new on the forums and what not (but definitely not new in writing, that's fo' sho') but I wanted to share something with you. I LOVE Lord of the Rings. I LOVE Hobbits. I LOVED the LotRO: Shadows of Angmar trial. And I most CERTAINLY love the books. I was hoping that, in order to start my own mapping career (in addition to being a writer, but that comes ALOT later, since I'm only 13 >.>) I would kick it off (like a GM punting a gnome, literally) with a Lord of the Rings map. I assume we have all seen the movies atleast ONCE. And I assume you remember the part when the fellowship goes to Lorien (is it Lorien? I forgot...) after escaping Moria, and when Frodo looks into Galadriel's water-mirror, yes? What does he see, eh? Hobbits. Lots of Hobbits. Chained. Imprisoned. In agony. One by one, waiting to be tortured, enslaved, and/or imprisoned by Sauron. I do not like Sauron, he's cruel, and the fact that he would do such a thing to the peaceful Hobbits is disgusting. I was thinking to make something like the Scourging of the Shire, but AFTER the story of Lord of the Rings. A second Scourging, based on my imagination. This is just a small "summary" of what I plan on doing, events in slight detail as seen through the eyes of a Hobbit.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was a dark night, not usual in West Farthing, especially in my side o' town. I live near the Old Forest, y'see. Name's Underhill. Fancy name for someone livin' in a normal house, in' it? So I'm takin' m'midnight walk by the edge of the Old Forest, which I do on my norm' weeknights. And that's when it happened. I was hearin' screams from near th'North Farthing, a' did. It was a chillin' sort, sounded like some Folk were bein' slain. I was curious, an' in m'stupidity went and looked.
T'was when I got to the North I was shocked. Dead or chained Hobbits, everywhere. The townsfolk were bein' takin' captive! I had ran as quickly to the armory shop in Town Hall as m'little legs could carry me, and picked out a nice long practice sword. Why, y'might ask? Tis' cause' the Militia already picked up the real tools y'know. But I needn't worry, I'm one of th'strongest Hobbits in the Shire. No one's tougher than me, except an Orc maybe. But there were more than just yer' normal Orcs, I tell ye'. I saw a black man, robed, cloaked, hooded. He let out a shriek that could incapacitate a weaker-willed Big Folk, he did. It knocked me back, and I looked up at him before everythin' went black...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just to give you a little idea on what sort of attack is happening, and what sort of Hobbit you'll get to be. It's not much, not one of my best, but it's what I'm planning. After several more terraining practice-sessions, I'll begin my project. Note that it'll be my first Warcraft 3 map EVER, so it might not be the best. But I've got two websites full of models, doodads, and tutorials that will help me out. Wish me luck folks, and tell me what you thought!

Level 15
Hey i'm also a beginner and i know how hard it is :s
I wish you the best of luck, don't give up no matter how frustrating it gets!
Nice story btw it's pretty interesting

I didn't mean I was a beginner. I am a very good writer. I don't mean to insult you or sound egoistic... but I just hope you realize that's NOT the case. Read my other submission, "The Kausaks". It got recognition from Brad himself. He liked it. A lot.

Oh.. I get what you mean! New at MAPMAKING! Yeah, thank you very much. Good luck with your map-making career yourself, LordHunter.

Last edited:
Level 4
You might discover the WC3 editor to be quite simplistic if you understand the basics. I of course, do not refer to triggering. The triggering can be quite difficult if you feel motivated into learning jass.

As far as terraining and unit customization goes, you'll find it simple. Read a couple of tutorials.

Decent story btw. Not too much of fan when I read stories with the tis' and t'was style though but you projected an interesting picture of how they might've spoken back in the LOTR period. I watched the movies but never really remembered how they talked heh.

Level 36
Pretty decent story, though, I would look at the lore references for LOTRo. It's funny, because that very seen, the water-mirror, is what started the concept for Shadows of Angmar. Because that's what it is. While the Fellowship is off with the ring, Angmar is raping the Shire.

That's why the best race to play in SoA is Hobbits, because they're the ones the game was originally based on and designed around.

Level 15
I've played Lord of the Rings online. I tried the free trial, and it was decent on my horribly ancient (no longer used) computer. But because of flarkin' Vista, it doesn't work on my new one. Of course I tried out ALL the races, but enjoyed the Dwarves the most. I got my Dwarf Champion to level 11. Oh yeah, and Scamwise is the BEST name for a Hobbit character.

Level 15
You said something stupid about not liking how hobbits walk around barefoot, something no one really cares about. Your edited comment is a lot better, however. Atleast we know you read... unless you are lying.

Level 16
i read like in the hobbit how the three troll were trying to figure out what to do with the dwarfs that was funny a dwarf stuck in a bag down to his leg that would be funny if he ran in to a tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.