• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A quick question about attack targets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi! I'm trying to make a more realistic map. Specifically I want to make it so that archers have two types of attack: their normal arrow attack that only targets air and ground units, and a flaming arrow attack that can target buildings as well. I made the flaming arrow attack an autocast ability based on searing arrows. As expected, both attacks work against units. Targeting buildings does nothing though. It doesn't come up with a message that buildings can't be attacked when the autocast ability is off. It doesn't attack when it's on. Am I doing something wrong, or is the discrepancy between the base attack's targets and the autocast ability's targets causing a conflict? Thanks in advance!

Level 1
I did. My archer's attack 1 has air, debris, ground, item, and ward as targets. The flaming arrows skill only has structures. Ideally it could be used against any target, but I'm fine with it being a siege only skill to keep it simple. When I test it my archer can attack units fine. It comes up with "cannot attack structures" with the normal attack so that's fine. It won't target units with the skill so that's also good. The problem is that attempting to target buildings with the skill autocast will move the archer into range of the building but won't cause it to attack. It just moves and stops like the order was invalid.

Level 21
i will look at it. you could just use 2 attacks with both attacks enabled and one only targeting buildings. searing arrow have it only missile art which is easy to use on a regular attack. ok: searing arrow`s targets only applies when targeted manually which means that you have to use attack 2.

Last edited:
Level 11
You don't need triggering. If you want the attack to use mana, you can still use searing arrows using the two attacks method. On the second attack, make it target buildings only as suggested before. Then on your searing arrows ability, also make it target buildings only. Searing Arrows will work with the second attack only, thus only hitting buildings. The first attack will only effect your other targets.

If you want to hide the searing arrow ability you can hide it in a spellbook.
If you only want ONE attack at a time to show for archers, you can look at alternatives by using Bear Form or the War Club ability.

If you don't mind triggering and decide to take the bear form route, you can hide the transform ability in a spellbook and make them automatically morph depending on which unit they are attacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.