• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A question about fog effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
I have a question. When you go Scenario--> Map options and then look at the style of the terrain fog, the default setting is Linear. That's the only one I use, even though there are two other options called expotential 1 and 2. I have never really understood those two options. I either get the whole map overfogged by having a density higher than 0, or just no fog at all with density at 0.

Now what the H are these fog types for and how can I use 'em?

Level 8
Actually, i one time tried and linear isn't as foggy. Try a random fog and then use the other options. There will be a difference.

Level 9
My guess... Ever done graphs in maths?
Linear is like y=m*x. So, it gets more and more thicker, but at same gradient.
Exponential is like y=m*x^2. If it's zero, it is obviously none, but even if it is slightly more, it gets thick really, really quickly, cause it is x^2. So it sucks. Never used it myself.

Level 36
I know what exponential fog does, except the one in WC3 is broken.

Regular fog:
ms793072.d3dfig10(en-us,MSDN.10).png

Exponential fog:
ms793072.d3dfig11(en-us,MSDN.10).png

Exponential^2 fog:
ms793072.d3dfig12(en-us,MSDN.10).png

Status
Not open for further replies.