• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Maelstrom v1.5

Maelstrom v 1.5

This campaign contains: 13 maps
4 cinematics
3 main maps
6 submaps

Details
Chapter 1: 2 submaps
Chapter 2: 3 submaps
Chapter 3: 1 submap

This is the prelude campaign to Old Gods. It takes place right after the Frozen Throne. Details of the events are summarized in the Introductory Cinematic Loading Screen.

Campaign by: J747L
Uploaded by Herogod

IMPORTANT (Reviewer Edit)

• There is an issue related to the filename's length (.w3n). If it is too long, the transition between maps will not work on patches beyond 1.21. So, to solve this, simply rename the campaign once you download it to something shorter like Maelstrom.
  • Thanks to Warseeker for solving the mystery!
  • Discussion thread: Fixing Old Campaigns
Contents

Maelstrom v1.5 (Campaign)

Reviews
VGsatomi: Approved. Good campaign that takes place alongside the original wc3 storyline. Nice alternative story, great terrain, and an overall solid campaign.

M

VGsatomi: Approved. Good campaign that takes place alongside the original wc3 storyline. Nice alternative story, great terrain, and an overall solid campaign.

Level 3
Your campaign isn't bad at all, but you should chage a couple of minor things. If you select the last mission from the panel, the mission actually starts but the heros don't show up at all.
The first two missions are nice, but the last two are really too difficult; maybe you could decrease the number of creeps and/or lengthen the time between attack waves.
I'll 4 out of 5 because I think you made a promising campaign and with few changes it'll get perfect!

Level 1
I had the same problem with the caves, playing with v1.24e. Saw somewhere that the sequel to this one was created when WC3 v1.20b. I'm playing it with version 1.21 and problem solved. Search for "wc3 version switcher" if you don't have it.

Level 2
Your campaign isn't bad at all, but you should chage a couple of minor things. If you select the last mission from the panel, the mission actually starts but the heros don't show up at all.
The first two missions are nice, but the last two are really too difficult; maybe you could decrease the number of creeps and/or lengthen the time between attack waves.
I'll 4 out of 5 because I think you made a promising campaign and with few changes it'll get perfect!

Agreed.

Level 1
I play this campaign yesterday and i have a problem.. whenever i enter a submap and return to the original map, my warcraft crashes.. All of my campaign maps with submap have the same issues.. Can anyone help because it annoying me.. :(

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
chap1:
-I guess Leia isn't supposed to be an elf?
-meh, wait to regenerate mana/hit and run, spawn wolf, attack and so on...
-units selected during the Battalion scene
-wow, those two bases are so close to each other, it's hard not to notice; luck the undead didn't realize the human base was deserted?

-the wolf does not save in the game cache and has to be spawned again
-no comment about the dead/sleeping bodies in the prisons
-why would they lock the Sappers with their gear!?
-it's easy to draw the Royal Guard out of his base
-that's a Paladin? He has no spells regarding his status; why was he still alive?
-Leia can kill the Granite Golem without it being able to reach her
-all creatures behind doors and magic barriers can be killed by the ranger; some of them don't even retaliate

-after the lever is pulled, the prisoners get out only to fight amongst themselves...
-enemy coming from behind to attack Peasants would've been nice
-if the heroes reach the cavern, the Peasants don't have to, the level ends but the campaign screen is shown...

chap2:
-Lafrosse doesn't have a hero glow
-Ya'kar was kept in a cage defended by Dragonspawns!?
-after a while playing with the other two heroes, the blood key appeared again along with the end of the meeting Ya'Kar scene

-Gallagar wasn't suspicious of how the person who gave them the key died!?
-the Archimonde heroes have Divine type armour...; not saying the portals can't easily be destroyed but those demons can't be killed
-some Voidwalkers came from the northwest though the portal was just destroyed

-why would most units disappear after the last battle?
-again, instead of returning to the previous level, the game shows the campaign menu...

interlude:
-how did the queen see the future with the Phoenix Egg if it was not on her? Did she have it before?

chap3:
-who the heck is Reynor?
-the elven units are weak compared to the naga even if they have the Chaos attack type especially when the naga forces have all armour and attack upgrade tiers researched
-Frost Bolt has the same hotkey as Frost Armour: F

-where are the other two heroes? I only got the elf and the bandit
-Sleep has the same hotkey as Stop: S
-funny thing: loading the game spawns duplicates of the heroes and so on

finale:
-the scene finishes with the campaign menu...

Who exactly is the Ice Queen and what's her relation to Warcraft?

It's sad that this can't be played as it should be. It's very promising and it has a story that looks to be at least thought out.

EDIT:
Did a speed run on 1.30.4 to see if the transitions and, generally, the campaign works. It does.
Problem is that it wasn't finished.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Description update:
  • There is an issue related to the filename's length (.w3n). If it is too long, the transition between maps will not work on patches beyond 1.21. So, to solve this, simply rename the campaign once you download it to something shorter like HalElves.
  • Thanks to Warseeker for solving the mystery!
  • Discussion thread: Fixing Old Campaigns

Level 9
This was surprisingly good i really liked this one. To those wondering what to do in the last mission due to constant attacks. You need to spam Dragon hawks. they have the highest damage. as well as Priests.

Anyway i never reached 140 food limit so sed. Also when you atttack one of the bases the other tries to help them so you don't have to worry about being attacked i think.

The absolute 3 building plus hero thing was annoying. I was not cheating but then i realized it really didn't matter and whosyourdaddy my way to victory. Overall though i loved the campaign it was really fun. Wish it was longer wish when you leveled up you got more shit but whatever.

3/5 Must play

Level 5
Good campaign, nothing special, played it on hard difficulty and found it kind of boring, I like campaigns that are like the rexxar campaign, but it felt that it lacked something, maybe it was the lack of loot.
In the missions that you have a base and more than 100 food capacity, doesn't matter if you have like 180 food capacity, if the cap for 50 food cuts the gold income, it should be fixed, and the final mission doesn't feel like you are fighting the final boss.

Played it on version 1.21b, didn't find any bug.

Level 13
A small but not at all short and not the easiest campaign that runs perfectly on 1.27. In fact, the degree of difficulty is, in my opinion, well overestimated, and after a few repetitions you guess what kind of units you have to do in order to pass the level. In general, the campaign does not shine with anything unique, but it is interesting and worth your time.

Level 5
Hey there!

I have to say, pretty terrible balancing there. The archer girl uses a huge amount of mana each time with low mana regen, making the campaign unnecessarily lengthy. I know this is going somewhere, with the plot and all, but yeah, maybe not to my liking.

All in all, a decent map.