• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

5 - minute model edit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi, I'm very new to the modeling community and don't really know whether anyone actually bothers to check these requests, but I'd appreciate help with a model creation. I need, essentially, a merging of two models: the 'Captain, Swordsman' model (wc3 generic), and the 'Spearman' model created by Wandering_Soul. I'm assuming someone that's an expert at this could just stick a brown pole in the 'C,S's hand and transfer the animations from 'Spearman', as the 'S' is based on the footman generic and the animations would work the exact same way.

Also, if ya have any good tutorials on modeling I could look at (so that I don't have to make these stupidly simple requests), that'd be awesome.

Steve

Level 17
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=8ixac0
I recently teach some user how to simple modelling, open the link above, take thoose 3 tools,
Open the vertex modify, search the bandit spear thrower, then open it up with vertex modifier (covert it into .mdl using war3 file converter, found in tools section), then search the geoset to find the spear, save as geoset, then open the captain, and swordsman, again convert it into mdl, after that using the geoset merger, merge the spear into bone hand of the desired model
Any more question?

Level 4
T_T

Second attempt... well, I think I understand how it works, at least, now.

Looks painful, though. <.<

Attachments

• SpearFail2.PNG
    SpearFail2.PNG
    106.3 KB · Views: 126
Level 4
Almost There

Alright! I've got it in his hand, and I even shrunk down the sword to inside his hand :D (couldn't figure out how to get rid of it) Still got the handle textures, though, and the spear didn't (of course) transfer textures (and I don't know how to).

So I guess there are some questions in there.

Also, neither the MDL or re-converted MDX files work in-game (shadow only).

Attachments

• Almost There.PNG
    Almost There.PNG
    36.3 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Level 17
hmm...
Looks good for a newbie, btw do you have magos model editor, or at least warcraft 3 viewer?
Its fot showing model, and export and import the model, for the texture, if you have one of them (magos model editor, or warcraft 3 viewer), you can search for this (press ctrl + f in warcraft3viewer, or search for texture folder in magos) texture\bandit, then right click, then copy path to clipboard (magos), or simply type textures\bandit.blp (case sensitve!)
And you should try to search the google for 'mdlvis' it a very useful tool

Level 17
Bandit spear isn't tc (team color)
If you want your spear become tc-ed, then go ahead, search trough the war3.mpq, war3x.mpq, and find the spear that tc-ed, or maybe you can re map the texture?
Or, i give you the last option, i'll make the footman with spear, the spear tc-ed, and send it to you?

Level 4
Well, footman + spear already exists. (credit to Wandering_Soul) That's what I pulled the spear geoset from (#4 on the model), but didn't get the texture with it. Seems like it shouldn't be so hard to remove sword, extract spear, attach spear, and import anim from Wandering_Soul's model... but I can't do it. If you can, that'd be awesome.

Level 4
I need, essentially, a merging of two models: the 'Captain, Swordsman' model (wc3 generic), and the 'Spearman' model created by Wandering_Soul. I'm assuming someone that's an expert at this could just stick a brown pole in the 'C,S's hand and transfer the animations from 'Spearman', as the 'S' is based on the footman generic and the animations would work the exact same way.

There.

Level 4
Shield too. It would be just as easy to merge spear with the captain model.
I know it's an easy mod (hence the title of "5-minute model edit"), but when you approach it from the standpoint of someone who had never touched WC3 Viewer, WCModelEdit, VertexModify, GeoSetMerger, or WC3FileConverter before Monday (when I started trying to do this), suddenly it's slightly more intimidating.

I'll be adding more rep as soon as I 'spread enough around' to be able to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.