• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Altered Melee] 4v4 Commanders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi everyone.

So, I’ve been working on a custom map / game mode for a while. It’s basically supposed to feel like a regular 4v4 Warcraft 3 mode which uses the standard maps (Goldrush to begin with) except instead of picking between Alliance / Horde / Scourge / Sentinel, you pick a commander rather like the commanders in Starcraft 2. These commanders have bonus units, upgrades and abilities that fit into their flavor but they also come with draw backs such as gaps in their army composition, though I've tried to offer each Commander ways to deal with the gaps in other ways, such as ensnare/web like abilities for dealing with air units, but this is also why it’s going to be a 4v4 mode, so that allies can fill in the gaps in allies army compositions.

This also means that players will be able to enjoy all the cool campaign factions such as blood elves, draenei, satyr, demons, fel orcs, goblins, ogres ect-ect.

So, I’ve made great progress in the areas that I’m comfortable with. That’s creating and balancing the commanders. It was quite a lot of work, as I basically had to reconstruct an entire tech tree worth of units, buildings, upgrades, tooltips and abilities and link them all together so that they work nicely together. The aim here is to make it FEEL like a polished, well constructed bunch of factions just like the vanilla ones.

A brief description of some of the commanders units and perks:

Uther = The human units, captain and chaplain. Uther is unique in that he also has access to a variety of paladin heroes that each come with differing abilities.
Muradin = The dwarf units.
Kael’thas = The blood elf units, including the sorceress and priest.
Jaina = The golems and elementals. Her golems come with a mana shield ability and she constructs buildings that spend mana to create units.
Chen = The pandaren. A very hero centric commander with a variety of pandaren heroes and shops.
Jennalla = The high elves, including swordsmen, lieutenant and archers.
Grom = I compare Grom to Nova from starcraft, in that his units are very strong and do chaos damage but they're also expensive.
Thrall = The orc units, with shamans and windriders. Grunts and raiders can be upgraded to elite versions which use campaign unit models.
Cairne = The tauren units. He can train tauren at tier 2.
Vol’jin = The troll units.
Gazlowe = The goblin units, with a variety of mecha units, sappers and zeppelin. Gazlowe also gets to pick from the two goblin hero options.
Arthas = Undead units, abominations and frost wyrms.
Kel’thuzard = Undead units, with necromancers and frost revenants.
Mal’ganis = All about a massive army of zombies and gargoyle air support.
Anub’arak = The nerubians. I initially wanted to make these feel like the zerg, having to morph units from eggs, but the morph system wasn't cooperating, so maybe this is something I'll revisit later.
Magtheridon = Demons, with a focus on the more brute strength sorts like doom guards and fel hounds.
Sylvanas = Banshee and wraiths.
Malfurion = Druids and mountain giants.
Tyrande = Archers and hippo riders. Elite archers use campaign unit models.
Maiev = Huntresses, watchers and sentries. Elite huntresses use the Naisha model.
Illidan = Satyrs.
Akama = Draenei.
Vashj = Naga.

I also plan to add Cenarius, Archimonde, Rexxar, Gul'dan and Garithos (who did nothing wrong btw).

This makes use of almost every single campaign/creep unit model in the game in some way.

So ya, I hope us to be able to copy all the unit data over to the standard melee 4v4 maps so that we can all play Warcraft 3 reforged with a much greater variety of factions to choose from. I've uploaded the map, but it's by no means ready to play yet. This might belong in the "ideas" section of the forum. If it's in the wrong place, I apologise.

Attachments

• (8) Goldrush Commanders.w3x
    458.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Level 9
Hello!
Sorry for bad english

I am engaged in a project with the same concept.
Warcraft Legends (link to an old topic on Hive):
[Altered Melee] - Warcraft: Legends
(there is also a link to the old map)

Due to the language barrier, I moved to a Russian-language website, where I completely revised the project and continued to work actively.
Link to the project home page on a Russian-language website (google-translate to help):
WarCraft Legends / WarCraft 3 / Блоги - XGM: eXtreme Gamedev & Modmaking

We can exchange ideas and best practices in a separate topic:
Кузница идей - WarCraft Legends / WarCraft 3 / Блоги - XGM: eXtreme Gamedev & Modmaking
Or via private messages on Hive/XGM

I really hope for fruitful cooperation. Even if our projects do not unite, we can greatly improve the final quality of our projects.

Level 2
Hi AMarkov!

It's interesting and pretty cool to find that others have been working on a similar concept, but perhaps it's also not surprising. We could definitely cooperate on this if you like, as I think having a professional 4v4 commander mode for us all to enjoy would be awesome with all the new models coming with Reforged. I do have holes in my skill set, in that I find it hard to get my head around triggers and scripting, specifically I'm currently trying to sort out how to allow players to pick the commanders in the cleanest, most professional way possible.. But for now I've been focusing on what I can do easily, which is setting up the commander tech trees, abilities and units.

I wouldn't mind sharing what I've got done so far and I'm open to others changing, critiquing and adding things, as long as it makes sense and fits in with the lore/theme of the commanders and is of course, balanced, or as balanced as we can get it. The important thing for me is to get it done, so we have a fun mode to play.

How far along are you with your project?

Level 2
Hi everyone.

Some have expressed to me that they're working, or intend to work on similar commander projects, such as a coop commander mode. It might make sense for us to cooperate and pool our resources and skills together, rather than us all working on different solo projects. Once we're done, we could then take the finished commander unit data and make balance changes for our specific game modes. For example, I will probably end up reducing the power of the auras across the board, because of how powerful they can get in a 4v4 environment with so many allied units.

Anyone who is interested in collaboration in making commander faction style maps is welcome to get involved.

Level 9
I believe the mechanic Zeratul is suitable for the hero Anub'arak. Zel'Naga artifacts can be replaced with Azjol-Nerub relics. Just do not make such a simple system to improve the army of the hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.