1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

4 Aces

Discussion in 'Art and Graphic Designs' started by Arcisal, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Arcisal

Arcisal

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hi there. This was for an art exam I took. Don't really know if this belongs here or in the concept art forums, but decided to place it here since this forum needs more attention anyways.

The initial concept behind this was to include all four suits which overlap over each other to create the cover of the card. Here, you can see a late draft in pencil of what I was hoping to achieve.

Early Designs (Pencil)
    [​IMG]

As you can see, I how I made the design was by using curvy-wurvy shapes which fit in all together like a giant puzzle piece. See if you can find all four suits. The clubs is still incomplete, though you can see the shape. I did only one half as I was simply going to flip it to make it symmetrical.

There is pencil design. After many frustrating attempts on Photoshop and Illustrator, I, unfortunately, gave up on the whole all-four-suits-into-one thing. I finally opted to create an Ace of Spades in the end, largely due to lack of time.

Unfortunately, I cannot show you every single draft I made as I have lost the file. Thankfully, I still have the final piece which is shown bellow.

Final Piece (After Photoshop)
    [​IMG]

I was quite disappointed with this one. You can still see many flaws and the colors were selected in a hurry. The editing and whatnot was done carelessly, making it look messy. I was frustrated that my initial idea (all-four-suits) couldn't materialize due to my lack in skill in Photoshop and shortage of time, largely because I wasted it idling and fiddling instead of doing what was necessary to achieve what I wanted.

There you go. Sorry if I placed this in the wrong forum.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  2. AL0NE

AL0NE

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    the draft in pencil is awesome. ;) the photoshop version was indeed lacking compared to the draft, but it's pretty good. Perhaps you need to alter the colour or something like that. Don't be too frustrated man. =) there's tons of tutorials for virtually any editing program in the world. You'll improve with practice. Trust me, when I first start off with photoshop for a few weeks, I suck badly. D: Keep trying. don't let a single thing to put you down. ;)

3. Static

Static

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Good Job :) it can be used for a logo btw :) (Love it)

4. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Very nice design, Arcisal. It is a mix of tribal and vintage and I agree with the above, it could be great for logo.

5. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Holy Crap, makes me want to pull up Photoshop on the crap HDD and try out things with the draft :D

6. carlvic

carlvic

Resources:
    Resources:
    Cool work there, very smooth & clean.
    If it was up to me, I'll give it a fitting texture overlay XD

7. JesusHipster

JesusHipster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources: