• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

3rd Person RPG looking for Terrainers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Changeling RPG is a singleplayer campaign where the player plays a changeling that can morph into other forms. You can interact with all three races while you can decide whether you want to help them or kill them which will influence your personal storyline.

The campaign will take place in various planets, each of them consisting of multiple maps that are linked together.
For this we are looking for people who can create nice looking 3rd-person terrain.

About the project's content

The game will start on a battlecruiser under command of Gary Landrev (that's you!) which gets attacked by protoss carriers. They destroy the battlecruiser and it crashes into the nearby planet. Gary somehow survived the crash but a changeling spots and attacks him. Barely alive he manages to escape and recover a bit. He encounters some Zerglings and kills them, but notices he is able to absorb their DNA and it seems as if he got the abilities of the changeling he just escaped from...

In the course of the game you are then trying to find out what happened to you and to the changeling and of course you will need to use your new abilities for this.
You can collect items and solve quests RPG-like but as you have the choice of who you want to be the quests are more dynamic and dependent on your decisions and affect the storyline you follow.

As an example there could be a battlefield of terran/protoss forces fighting and you have found a strong artifact that you can give to one side to make them win the battle and maybe forcing the other race to leave the area or even the planet which would result in a different population and different quests.

Here's a video showing some of the basic mechanics:

Last edited:
Level 4
We are currently two persons, AshDarkside is doing story design and I am doing the coding and data stuff. What we are looking for are Terrainers who can make terrain that is suitable for 3rd person view and has nice transitions (Most areas consist of multiple maps that are directly linked).

Edited the first post for some info on the project :grin:

Level 4
What I mean is you leave one map in the north, you get a short loading screen and appear in the south of the other map.
That currently only works locally and not in bnet though, but it's definitely possible and I am still optimistic that they will add this on bnet somewhere in the future (and if not the campaign can still be played offline).

Level 4
That would be really nice.
I have seen some of your Terrains and I really liked them :)

If you say you have another project, how many time do you have?
Since the maps are mostly not that big and we also need to put in stuff like npc conversations and quests, I guess that shouldn't be a big deal.

.Talon said:
That currently only works locally and not in bnet though, but it's definitely possible and I am still optimistic that they will add this on bnet somewhere in the future (and if not the campaign can still be played offline).

let's hope that they would... ^_^

but anyway its SP so I don't think its much of a problem...

this seems cool...

btw, is it hard or easy to do that skill/talent tree thing you did? because I've yet to get a copy of SC2, and I have a current proj in wc3 but already have another one in line, so answering this would help me decide if I'll pursue the next project I have in mind in wc3 or in SC2... thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.