1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[3dsmax] Any good begginer tutorial for making faces?

Discussion in 'Modeling & Animation' started by RedFlash, Oct 24, 2008.

1. RedFlash

RedFlash

Resources:
    Resources:
    I been looking at alot of tutorials and none of them can help me with making faces(by that I mean connecting the vertexes together(I can make them the thing is after I make them I can only see it on side while the other is like invisible so it makes it hard to work with also it appears red like error red or something

2. CyberSoft

CyberSoft

Resources:
    Resources:
    the parts you dont see are parts the wont show in wc3 either. So there should be none

3. rober artua

rober artua

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hm :) Are u drank or is my English so bad that I can not even understand what do u mean ?!

If I am right u want to know how to model face of a model in 3ds max for Warcraft game , right ?

The very first thng u need to know is how to use max tools . Then import any wc head into ur max scene and try to study it . Try to make same head as example head . The head modelling is easy . Some wc models such as huntress have only TWO POLYGONS in their head !!! IF u do not believe me u can import it in max and u will see it :) But the thing is that the texture contains all features like nose ,lips , cheeks and it also contains face depth . So it looks really cool in game . So my point is here : If u want good face try to paint good face texture .

4. CyberSoft

CyberSoft

Resources:
    Resources:
    when he said faces, he ment polygons. Its a milkshape type of term which can get confusing

5. rober artua

rober artua

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ah ok . Why then write 3ds max in the topic ?

6. CyberSoft

CyberSoft

Resources:
    Resources:
    because he is using 3ds max not milkshape. The two programs are very very diff.

7. rober artua

rober artua

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So he wants to know how to make faces/polygons in max ?

8. CyberSoft

CyberSoft

Resources:
    Resources:
    either that or he wants to know how to connect 2"faces"(polygon faces) together. Like you have a gap and he wants to fill it w/o making another primitive

9. Lestat(br)

Lestat(br)

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Thats easy! Convert your object to an editable mesh. Then you will select vertices and create as many vertices as you want, wherever you want. To connect thos, you should select "Faces" under Editable Mesh modifier. Click on "Create" below. Then you will need to connect 3 vertices in order to create a face. If you connect the vertices Clockwise, they will be facing behind, and you won't be able to see them, but if you connect them counter clockwise you will see the face, because its facing is towards you. This Backface culling is to save memory.

But, if you need both sides to appear, you should edit the material, as Warcraft III, and check 'Two-Sided', this will ignore the backface cullling, and you will be able to see both the sides in-game.

But, stil, you want to see the face from behind only for diting purposes, you can right click on your view port and go under properties, there will be an option named "Force 2-Sided", check this, and you will be able to work seeing both sides of the faces, but, in-game their backfaces will be hidden. This is sometimes not recommended, because you will be mistaken once or twice at the vertices flow of the faces, and you won't detect it before...

Hope I helped!

10. rober artua

rober artua

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ok so if u have one polygon/face and another and it is one mesh . Then go to vertix mode and use "WELD" option in edit polygons roll out . there near weld option u can put a number of distances . If u have very big gap set the number to 9999999999 :) And u will work . U can use weld in vertix or edge mode . It is simple and u can find it in max help . Just put words liek face or weld and u will get the right info :) Searh is very powerful feature . For example here is video tutor on youtube about connecting faces YouTube - 3ds max tutorial: Vertex Welding www.cme3d.com/training