• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

3ds Max Modelers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I have a question when using 3ds max for modelling from scratch. The Blizzard Art Tools does not support the IK system in 3ds Max, so what other methods do u use for your animation? Rotating the limbs around does not give such s nice natural animation. Blizzard themselves seem to be using something similar for their animations though. I don't know, I could be wrong.
Can someone share their animation techniques? Thnks

Level 5
Blizzard animated their models in a simple way, yet unpleasant. They detached all the parts of the body the needed and then used bones to move them.

In other words: Divide your mesh into parts of the body (foot, leg, head, pelvis, etc.) and link them with the bone you want to use it (hand->hand bone, pelvis->pelvis bone, chest->chest bone, etc.), I don't know if their exporter will work properly with skeletons(linked bones together). Then you have to set the meshes as connected in "User Property Editor"(Mesh Properties) and bones in "User Property Editor"(Geometry Properties).

If you have any onther questions, I'll try to answer them.

Level 6
No, I got the bones and meshs working nicely. The connected meshes in the User Property Editor work fine for me. (I have 3ds Max 5 and Blizzard Art Tools working properly) The bones in 3ds Max works for modeling. But, what I'm wodering is the Art Tools does not support the IK (Invese Kenematics)System in 3ds Max. So what are people using to animate the bones in the "stand" and "walk" animation? I know it could be done by rotating or moving the leg bones. Without IK, the feet can move out of place easily. So, is there a better technique to do the animation?

I'm sorry if my previous post was not clear

Level 5
Art Tools doesn't support IK. To make the animation "names" go to Track View - Dope Sheet and after selecting objects add a Note Track. Then set the first and last animation frame and write names of the animation in: ""(quotation marks). You can also add the rarity x without ""(quotation marks) to set the chance of playing that animation in game.

Status
Not open for further replies.