• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] 2P RPG - Dark Times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
This looks like a sweet little project you have here. I'm a big fan of RPGs so I'll be checking this one out for sure. I'm glad you allow for a single player option, it always bothered me that certain RPGs required more than one person.

The terrain looks nice, you have a certain atmosphere and it seems you keep to it pretty well. It sort of reminds me of Torchlight for some reason.

One small mistake: In the Gameplay Screenshot with the second Quest Cinematic it says "The way is not save" it should say "The way is not safe"

Good luck mate, hope to see updates often!

Level 10
@Veritas: Hey, I'm sorry I forgot to check the comments here. Thanks for your nice comment, good to know you liked it!
Feels even better that you compare it with Torchlight! And I will remember the typo you mentioned.

Speaking of updates, there are two things I want to announce.

First thing: As the map size keeps increasing we decided for now to not includ a custom map preview image and neither a loading screen. We are sorry if this is a dissapointment, but I attached the images that were supposed to be those custom ones since I created them already. (If their will be some space left we may add them!) Instead we want to add more events, quest and maybe even increase the area size. We thought more than once about it and we think this is a better decission.

I would like to know if you agree, please tell me your opinion.
(You can watch the map description to see the technically seen map preview and loading screen image if you want to)

Second thing: I'm happy to tell you that there will be an update tomorrow if things goes well ! *caugh* It will include the following stuff:

- Changed: New Starting Area
- Changed: Stonehelm Terrain became a rather big style-push!
- Changed: Elven Camp Terrain became a big style-push!
- Changed: Teleporter around the map are now better visible!
- Changed: Dark Essence (Quest) - A new model for the Quest Giver "Ghosthunter"

- Added: 3 new Rings.
- Added: A new quest: "Sweet home" (Stonehelm, req. lvl 1)
- Added: A new quest: "Brutal murder" (Stonehelm, req. lvl 10)
- Added: The left wing of the church now is accessable. Don't let it out!
- Added: Vendors now have a custom shop icon about their entrance.
- Added: Unaccepted quests will now show a question mark above the head of their quest giver.
- Added: NPC names now display in a tooltip above their head (like "Quest Giver", "Merchant", and further).
- Added: Two new buildings
+ The Tavern of Stonehelm, a warm home for stranded citiziens.
+ An interesting looking building. You should visit it.
Congratulations, you ain't a shelterless anymore! If you work for it.

- Fixed: The Miner merchant won't sell items anymore before the appropriate quest is done.

These notes will be included to the patch notes after the update is uploaded.
We hope for further input then! So far.

And don't forget to check out the mentioned media files. :ogre_hurrhurr:

Last edited:
Level 14
Just a heads up you may have some leaks somewhere. I played solo up to level 9 and after awhile things slowly started lagging more and more. Eventually it crashed and in the memory dump it says 'not enough storage to process this command'. Hopefully you can find out where the problem is, I wasn't doing anything specific like using a spell, I was playing as the assassin and I was just about to pick up the bag the assistant dropped, but before I even clicked it this happened while I was walking.

Level 10
So this is like your next 'stage' of SweetRevenge?

@nhs325: You may say so. Sweet Revenge was in progress a little while ago and it was the last project that was kinda 'completed'.
Afterwards Dark Times was born and we will keep it up to date as long as possible.

Just a heads up you may have some leaks somewhere. I played solo up to level 9 and after awhile things slowly started lagging more and more. Eventually it crashed and in the memory dump it says 'not enough storage to process this command'. Hopefully you can find out where the problem is, I wasn't doing anything specific like using a spell, I was playing as the assassin and I was just about to pick up the bag the assistant dropped, but before I even clicked it this happened while I was walking.

@Veritas: This sounds problematic - thanks for letting us know! However, we played this map really often together now and neither of us ever got this problem. We will check what may have caused this. There shouldn't be any leaks since we kept an eye open for those from beginning. Hopefully this won't occour anymore!

Edit: You may also check out this link that states that several wow players for example had the same problem. Maybe it's not a failure caused by the map. But we will check it, as I said. :)

Level 14
You may also check out this link that states that several wow players for example had the same problem. Maybe it's not a failure caused by the map. But we will check it, as I said. :)

I took a look at the link and it seems the problem may be on my end rather than yours. I was playing on my old crappy laptop so that might have something to do with it. Good luck anyhow!

Level 10
Yeah, I like to read this guys!! The both of us are looking forward to your feedback! :)
Well to be honest I kinda wonder too why it's not approved but I don't want to put pressure on the moderators.
Maybe they just haven't had the time by now. Hopefully one of them will enjoy the game soon enough.

We will keep giving our best with increasing in progress meanwhile.

Level 14
I wrote a review on the map thread. I must say I'm very impressed. And I'm glad you managed to fix the leaks and things causing performance issues. I got to play as far as I could without crashing.

Level 9
Map Rating:
[/TD]

Presentation

Aesthetics

Gameplay

Presentation 13/15

4/5 for Description

5/5 for Information

4/5 for Appeal
Aesthetics 11/15

3/5 for Originality

4/5 for Creativity

4/5 for Appeal
Gameplay 14/15

5/5 for Interest

4/5 for Replayability

5/5 for Overall Enjoyment

Map Rating
(Rating is equal to Gameplay + Aesthetics + Presentation out of 45)
Final Rating is:

38/45!!

Level 10
Not out yet but very soon - the fourth update - a big one!
Therefor here are the comming changes:

- Added: Automatic gold pick up works again.
- Added: You can now pick a random Elven Hero.
- Added: You can now pick a random Human Hero.
- Added: Two new secret Heroes are accessible now.
- Added: A further secret.
- Added: Three new unique Rings and each one needs its task done before you can acquire it.
- Added: All mages got a staff attachment now.

- Fixed: Electric Ring and Sparkling Orb no more attack neutral units.
- Fixed: All abilities are no longer affecting neutral units now.
- Fixed: You can teleport back to Sunken Runis now properly.
- Fixed: Potion tooltips now display properly.
- Fixed: Several Quest typos have been cleared.

- Changed: Sylvie is melee ranged now.
- Changed: Naisha wears bow(Weapon) only now.
- Changed: Farion wears cloth(Armor) and sword(Weapon) only + is melee ranged now.
- Changed: Attack types now are: Staff(Magic), Bow(Piercing), Sword(Normal)
- Changed: Armor types now are: Cloth(Light), Leather(Medium), Iron(Heavy)
- Changed: Customised attack and armor types.

vs
Light
Medium
Heavy
Bow
125%
100%
75%
Staff
100%
75%
125%
Sword
75%
125%
100%

- Changed: Bad Jack (Quest) has changed completly.
- Changed: Ambrosia (Quest) boss has been changed a little.
- Changed: Each Quest now display it's own icon visible at the Quest log.
- Changed: Hints have changed.
- Changed: Appearance of tooltips has been changed and improved a lot.

Edit: The fourth update is out! Containing a lot of new stuff and changes.

Last edited:
Level 10
These will follow in the next patch mainly as we've kept you waiting for the new dungeon.
But, yay, gold pick works again.

Yay.gif

Level 6
this map is really fun to play! 5/5 stars would like to see more.

You could try your luck at a more ambitious project, something like a 4-5 player big RPG would be amazing if you can bring the same skill and dedication.

Status
Not open for further replies.