• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] 2 same passive skills on one unit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi everyone !

I have a little problem that I'd like someone to help me clarify. Assume I have a unit with a Hero Passive Ability, like Evasion. Now I create a new custom unit spell based on Evasion and add it to that same unit, do the effects stack or based on what criteria does one override the other ?

Thank you very much !

Level 17

Attachments

• miss demo.w3x
    32.9 KB · Views: 85

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Instead of adding multiple instances of the same ability, you can level up the existing ability to a better percentage or static value. You just need to create either:

1) An upgrade for the passive, another level for the passive and set the "Ability Level Bonus" to 2 on research. That will not even require a trigger, just a research.

2) You can set the level of the ability via a trigger. This can also be applied in the first case, that you can have a trigger to automatically research for you, thus upgrading the spell.

There is no reason to make duplicate passive spells on a single unit.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

but overall that alot ability with lv101 if u want it correctly (like ciritical strike chance from -100%, evasion, life steal, mana steal, etc and still more if u want more critical strike damage than only 200%)

Your grammar confused me.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

maybem but that i guess you know for a good system where critical strike chance is between 0-100% you must do ability with lv101 (lv1 = 0%, lv2 = 1% .. lv101 = 100% chance for critical) same with life steal, mana steal, magic resisst, reflect, etc

Not really. Then again, why would you need that?

If you must, you can code everything with a counter (integer var ++ )
On level, increase by 1.

Lifesteal can be coded with a damage engine to heal you for % of total damage done.

Evasion can be coded on attack, when the animation is played to roll a X-100% dice where X is the evasion the hero has.

Magic resist, not sure. Possibly something similar only when a unit casts/starts an effect/ability.

Mana steal, why would you want mana steal?

Reflect, also damage engine could notice you have reflect, calculate how much damage you were dealt, then reflect X% of that damage back to the damaging unit.

Level 17
Not really. Then again, why would you need that?

If you must, you can code everything with a counter (integer var ++ )
On level, increase by 1.

Lifesteal can be coded with a damage engine to heal you for % of total damage done.

Evasion can be coded on attack, when the animation is played to roll a X-100% dice where X is the evasion the hero has.

Magic resist, not sure. Possibly something similar only when a unit casts/starts an effect/ability.

Mana steal, why would you want mana steal?

Reflect, also damage engine could notice you have reflect, calculate how much damage you were dealt, then reflect X% of that damage back to the damaging unit.

if u use damage engine use those then why problem if u use for critical/evasion too if it is only +1 variable instead? somehow i see the damageenigne solition easier coz could be use for many thing without alot work.

Level 28
Note: do not use abilities with a level greater than 50 (this is a loose value*).
When giving a high-level ability to a unit (or when creating a unit who has that ability), it will create a lagspike. The loading time will also drastically increase (200% or higher is not uncommon).

*50 is just a guideline, just try to keep the ability levels as low as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.