• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

1st Person View

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello all. I was just wondering if there was a way to do 1st person view or at least have the camera locked to the unit's head vs its feet? I DLed a tutorial map that gave me great understanding on how to make the camera lock behind the unit but it is always angled down and locked at the units feet so you dont really get a great view of what is ahead of you. I have fiddled around with it and gotten a decent view but it would be much better if the camera was locked to the units head rather than angled down toward the feet. I am just trying to give my map a more realistic feel.. sorta like all the MMORPGs out there. Yes... I know... some will probably say that if I want the MMORPG feel then maybe I should go play a MMORPG... which I do play but I love WC3 too and the ability to create my own scenerios. (Sorry, had to put that out for any critics that might want to bash me :p) I read on some forum that you cannot change it but I wanted to ask my fellow map developers if they found a way around it or there was a site/forum explain Global triggers to do it or... can anyone confirm that it just can't be done. Thanks all for the advice.

Level 4
Trigger 1:

EVENTS
- Map Initialization
CONDITIONS
- [none]
ACTIONS
- Camera - Lock camera for player 1 to [unit] using default rotation.
- Trigger - Turn on Trigger 2

Trigger 2 ( :!: Initially Off):

EVENTS
- Time - Every 0.10 seconds of game time
CONDITIONS
- [none]
ACTIONS
- Camera - Set player 1's camera Distance to target to 600 over 0.00"
- Camera - Set player 1's camera Angle of Attack to 350 over 0.00"
- Camera - Set player 1's camera Rotation to [facing angle of [unit]] over 0.00"
- Camera - Set player 1's camera Height Offset to (+-)100 over 0.00"

... 8)

This should do it otherwise mail me:
[email protected]

PS.: Credits fly out to IggiZ !!!

Level 2
Thanks Seb.. that was very helpful. I ultimately wanted to be able to view the game thru the units eyes like all the MMORPGs but I dont think that can be done, however your method enhanced the view on my map immensily. Thanks again for the help.

Level 2
Yes.. i originally tried to use the auto char view and it got really annoying with the char facing all different directions especially when attacked. I just got rid of the triggers that locked the camera and made triggers that pointed the camera in the direction that the char was facing only when I press a Direction key. Worked alot better. I still am able to use the mouse wheel to scroll the camera angle back to its original WC3 view. (Top view looking down at the char. I also assigned the left and right Direction keys to pan the camera to the left and right of the char to get a better view of my char fighting if I was behind a hill or wall. I just needed the help that Seb provided with giving more of the view in the front instead of looking down at my chars feet all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.