• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Black Temple Comedy

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: -Kobas-

Black Temple Comedy

By rastas301

THE FIRST INSTALLMENT IN THE SERIES!

The Black Temple Comedy is a nameless (as the current title suggests) cinematic comedy (again, as the title suggests ^^) based on Blizzard Entertainment's Black Temple map.

The project (dare I use that word?) began when I had the idea to make a dramatic cinematic revolving around a typical Good v.s Evil battle set in the Black Temple against Light's Hope and Pit Lord Voregar and his demon army. Eventually I decided I make enough dramatic battle maps and decided to turn it into a comedy.

The humour is somewhat terrible as I'm not exactly a comedian. The humour mainly revolves around breaking the fourth wall, recognising the obvious solution to a problem but ignoring it for a more 'clichè' approach that will keep the story going, and references to games, movies, culture, etc.

I decided to share this with the Hive community to see if anyone cared or, God forbid, liked it!

Any feedback is more than welcome (though keep it constructive please), and please, if you have any ideas for an episode, a character, anything really, or if you have a request for something to be added, don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks to Blizzard Entertainment for the map.
Thanks to -Kobas- for feedback and advice!

Check out the second installment! > http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/black-temple-comedy-ii-171336/

Check out the third instalment! > http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/black-temple-comedy-iii-172457/

Fixed some silly mistakes.
Added voiceovers! (note some chars do not yet have voices, I'm looking for actors!)

Please check out this thread if you think you're a good voice actor!

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...t-need-voice-actors-cinematic-project-171419/

Keywords:
Comedy, Black, Temple, Demons, Light's Hope, Light, Hope, Voregar, Eremir, Beorn, Frosthammer, I, 1
Contents

Black Temple Comedy (Map)

Reviews
16:35, 31st Jul 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
LOL you have nice cinematic there!
But you still need to fix some stuff:
Start with map description at first place!
Then remove cunematic borders etc ingame looks bad!
Fix camera a little, don't make it stop!
Remove black color from light forces :D

All else look ok...

EDIT:

Created by Blizzard Entertainment

FIX that also!
You created this one not blizzard, but give credits to them for terrain!

Level 4
Forgive a noob but what do you mean by "Remove black colour from light forces"? And "Start with map description at first place" "Then remove cinematic borders etc ingame looks bad"

I probably sound like an idiot but I'm not sure what you mean by these.

On the originality thing, do you mean it's a bad thing to shoot this on a blizzard made map? I didn't realise I was breaking any rules sorry!

Fixing the Author: Blizzard thing too. Such a silly mistake ugh just crack me over the head now!

No you are not idiot :D
But I don't have time to write whole review and attach large number of links that will help but here are few for start:
The importance of a Description [09 May 2009 17:41] created by ap0calypse
and BB code list!
About Cinematic Borders and cinematic itself :D

Also if you want check this one, isn't about map:

The Hive includes many talented Warcraft III modders of all skill levels among its users. New members (especially friendly ones) are always welcome. Take a look around and enjoy your stay, may it be long and productive!

Some good places to start include:
Searching the site using the above link always helps, you can learn a lot that way: just reading and learning is usually the best place to start, especially if one feels overwhelmed.

Likewise, the tutorials can really teach ALL of us a thing or two.
The chat room is cool: lots of people can answer questions there.

A few other tips that might help too:
-Always search first! Did I already mention THAT?
-When creating a new thread, make the title VERY specific: so the site's search engine (and we users) can easily understand just what the thread contains.
-Post your new threads in the proper forum: read the descriptions of each one so that you know what to post there.
-If all else fails, just send me a private message! I'll try to do whatever I can to help.

Level 4
Thanks a lot -Kobas- =) I updated by description hope it's better!

I won't make it too formal unless this thing gets bigger.

Changed a few things in the map, not much though only enough to be barely noticeable. I did the thing with cinematic borders but I think it looks better with them! I dunno I might have done the wrong thing but if it's what the public wants then so be it! Haha.

How about it Hive, who wants Episode 2?

Last edited:
Level 3
Alright, so...I watched it. To be perfectly honest, it made me smile, but not laugh. One thing you could try to improve it with would be voice acting. As it's not a particularly huge map, it probably wouldn't be too hard to do. But by voice acting I mean presenting jokes as you mean them, with spirit. Whenever I watch comedy, the mimics and pronounciation etc of the comedian make up for most of the comedy by themselves..and as this map is generally disadvantaged by not having those things (because of limitations or the lacking of such) it wasn't able to bring the point across too well for me.

Well, that's what I think. I'm always criticizing too much, so don't mind me.

Level 4
Great Map, Good Job!
i give that 4.97 out of 10.
you should add voices, cut voices from movies and paste them to the line there is a cinimatic when that pitlord says You Will Never Take My Throne Weaklings. or something like that. if you need jokes then i got some: Paladin: We will take your throne AND your Chair, PitLord: No NOT MY CHAIR its a demonlogic handwork it costed me 1000 ArchiDolars.

Level 4
I would give this 2/5.
Good goin with the dark and lightning effects.

I would give it 3/5 if you removed the silly end. :D

This whole idea is about silliness =)

2/5 hurts but hey I shouldn't be expecting 5/5 for a first map ^^

Alright, so...I watched it. To be perfectly honest, it made me smile, but not laugh. One thing you could try to improve it with would be voice acting. As it's not a particularly huge map, it probably wouldn't be too hard to do. But by voice acting I mean presenting jokes as you mean them, with spirit. Whenever I watch comedy, the mimics and pronounciation etc of the comedian make up for most of the comedy by themselves..and as this map is generally disadvantaged by not having those things (because of limitations or the lacking of such) it wasn't able to bring the point across too well for me.

Well, that's what I think. I'm always criticizing too much, so don't mind me.

Great Map, Good Job!
i give that 4.97 out of 10.
you should add voices, cut voices from movies and paste them to the line there is a cinimatic when that pitlord says You Will Never Take My Throne Weaklings. or something like that. if you need jokes then i got some: Paladin: We will take your throne AND your Chair, PitLord: No NOT MY CHAIR its a demonlogic handwork it costed me 1000 ArchiDolars.

Hmmm. Voice acting. Unfortunately I'm an army of one so all the characters would sound similar. I have a voice editing program but it's not very good I can create decent demon voices, but that's about it.

I'll give it a shot with Episode 2. Love the joke by the way! ^^

EDIT:

Perhaps I could attempt to organise members of the Hive community to do voiceovers. I could send them the script, they can record it, and send it back.

A bit of a long shot, but not impossible.

Level 3
About the voice actor recruiting: I've seen people do it in the past and it usually works to some extent. You don't need all voices, right? You can look for one or two more people voicing, then have them change voices. Everyone has a natural ability to change their voice..and if you have voice changer software yourself, you will be able to extend that by even more possibilities. It's never a bad thing to try, anyway.

Level 3
ehh....
nice cinematic but the only problem was that it was all black just black i understood what they were saying from the subtitles but other then that every thing was black

Level 31
I would just make my review short

-The camera was way too stiff that it could hardly call an cinematic at all.
-The lighting effect was way overkill, the atmosphere is soo dark despite there is an fire and torch. I could hardly see what is going and hardly know what's going on. If it is not for the dialog, I don't even know what the hell is this cinematic all about.
-The scene where the human attack was boring, it was just another scene where a thundering horde of army swarm through and smash the place apart.

In my opinion, it isn't ready for approval yet. I would just let the moderator decide it.

As a member of the Group Map Reviewers, I will be reviewing campaigns/cinematics :

Review - Black Temple Comedy

A cinematic by rastas301

Camera :

The camera needs to move all the time. Fix that.

Terrain :

The environment doesn't look like outland at all, too flat, too empty, some doodads don't fit etc.

Story :

There is no story, it's just some demons and humans trying to make a comedy series. However, I don't think this is funny at all and without voices it's just too boring.

Animations :

No animations were used in the conversations.

Other :

Nothing.

Hiveworkshop :

You have written an acceptable description.

Overall :

I'd say this is far from complete and needs to be funnier to be considered as a "comedy".

Final Rating : 1/5

Last edited: