• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

1400$ to spend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
i got 1400$ to spend on a new pc
any suggestions?
i heard that the dx11 card are comming in 2010
sould i wait until then?

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

There's always going to be 'new stuff' .. so if you need a new computer, buy one. If you do not need one, then you wait until you do need one.

There's no point buying a new computer just because you can.

Level 15
5870 is out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Try to get a Sapp or XFX, but not a Powercolor

And here is a list of good parts:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157163
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146047
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.250777

BTW, don't go for the Antec 900, and check all the changes with me to make sure you picked good stuff, A900 is too small for the card :/

Also, you might be able to get that all with a 750watt PSU, but you wouldn't have much headroom.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Part of the DX11 library will even run on DX9 cards, like the improved multi threading and software tessilisation (I thik).
DX 10.1 features will be manditory with DX11 so are part of it and thus 10.1 compatible cards will be more compatible with the new standard that just 10 cards.
Only DX11 hardware will support hardware tessilisation (ultimate preformance over software although on an I7 I guess this will hardly be a problem).

Level 11
There's always going to be 'new stuff' .. so if you need a new computer, buy one. If you do not need one, then you wait until you do need one.

There's no point buying a new computer just because you can.

Exactly, but there is always a necessity to get hookers. LOTS OF GLORIOUS HOOKERS.

But on a serious note, I agree with shiik.

Level 15
Eh, Nvidia is having a problem now, they can't make the G200 chips cheaper without losing profit. So, how can they compete with a 4870 performance chip (Guessing the HD5670 will be that) for 80-90?

At least ye olde G92 can carry the load of the HD4850 (5650 is the replacement), and that can be manufactured cheaply.

Note: I took the 5600's being the 4800's replacement out of context to what they did with the HD3800's and HD4600's

Probably right too, the performance % difference between the HD3870 and HD4870 is similar to the difference between the HD4870 and HD5870

And I don't think the G300 will do well, it's even bigger than the G200, they may have to readjust the PCI-E power maximum to put out a dual core version (ala GTX395 anyone?)

And to NoAmmoSrry, this is not a zone for you to spam, Squiggy is gonna get mad at you if you keep doing this.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Preformance, cost and power of the 300 should be onpar with anything ati can bring out. They said something a while ago that they will use the smaller manufacturing size (cheaper + more power efficent). It will also use GDDR5 RAM like ATI (disabled ofcourse for better price like ATI).

I however still will be careful with ATI, as currently their products seem "too good to be true".

Level 15
I know, it seems to good to be true, but thats what everyone said about the Core 2's. Remember?

And seeing as how Nvidia is still going with a gigantor size chip, they will still have that cheap manufacturing problem, ATI still gets more chips per platter, and they still run more efficiently, with their 2.1 billion transistors beating the 2.8 billion GTX295

Also, heard from a friend, whos cousin works at Nvidia, the GTX380 will come out late December, friend didn't know anything about the yield problems though, said he would ask his cousin.

We will have to see if 2.1 billion beats 2.4 billion :p

And yay, the HD5850 samples came out, Tom's Hardware got one, and the size difference :D (Attachment) Hell, you can put one in a M-ATX now

And now I am already mad at them, they said AMD couldn't beat a GTX285 with a single GPU card, wrong, the HD4890 1ghz edition has the same performance.

oooo, consumes less watts than a HD4870, by 9 watts XD

Stomps the GTX285, and 2 is better than SLI GTX285's, or a single GTX295, either way.

Attachments

• 5850,W-N-225383-3.jpg
    5850,W-N-225383-3.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 109

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Like I said, nvidia will probably be improving its yield with new technologies, like they did part way through the 200 series.

Also how was this preformance measured, may I remind you that there are a whole host of driver options, some of which are unique and provide better or worse quality of graphics. For example if you run a game in preformance mode in the nvidia control panel, no matter how high the ingame settings of the game is, it will still preform better than running it at ultra high quality with bonuses like gamma correct anti aliasing and simlar which are prety demanding.

The only true way to bench mark them is to get both of the cards to render an image at exactly 1:1 pixel quality (the output images are the same) and then see which generates them faster. Also with DX11, it will be easier to benchmark as you can then run the same non graphic calculations on both and see which cranks the numbers out faster, even if the card is not 11 compatible.

All in all, considering nvidia has kept up with preformance without even using stuff like GDDR5 or 2 sizes smaller manufacturing processes, I would not be conserned that the 300 series will not shut Ati up. May I remind people of the geforce 8 series, and how it massivly whooped Ati for about a year.

Level 19
well looks like that with thsese electronics, its not afordable to buy anything unless a bomb falls on the manufacturours so they couldnt come up with new stuff hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.