• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Ásgard Defenders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey!

Recently you may have seen me asking for help to convert war3 models to Ogre3d engine format.
(I've lost hope after a week without any success, but that's not the point).

I'm currently coding a Hero Defense game (like ENFO's mod for War3). The universe will be the Norse mythology.
My objective is to make it multiplayer, online and fun =).

I want to improve a bit the gameplay of ENFO but also to make a real team vs team mode (ENFO's wasn't really good for this point from my point of view).

If you have suggestions, ideas, or want to help, you are welcome!
I mostly need some ingamecharacters (I'm a developper and so are my friends), but in the meantime I code the game using some ugly models provided by the engine.

I'll soon create a public repository for the code (I use a private one on my server for now) along with a website (here again, if a designer wants to help, he's welcome).

See ya around !

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I'm currently coding a Hero Defense game (like ENFO's mod for War3). The universe will be the Norse mythology.
My objective is to make it multiplayer, online and fun =).

I want to improve a bit the gameplay of ENFO but also to make a real team vs team mode (ENFO's wasn't really good for this point from my point of view).
I could swear ENFO's is a "line wars" map not a hero defence. All hero defence maps are solely cooperative with no PvP elements. If you want to call it something less silly then at least call it "Hero Defence Wars" since it is as much to a hero defence as a tower defence wars is to a tower defence.

A good and most well known example of a hero defence would be that silly "X Hero Siege" that just will not die. It was like the first WC3 map I played online and it still is hosted 24/7 by robots...

Level 2
I could swear ENFO's is a "line wars" map not a hero defence. All hero defence maps are solely cooperative with no PvP elements. If you want to call it something less silly then at least call it "Hero Defence Wars" since it is as much to a hero defence as a tower defence wars is to a tower defence.

A good and most well known example of a hero defence would be that silly "X Hero Siege" that just will not die. It was like the first WC3 map I played online and it still is hosted 24/7 by robots...

I looked into "line wars" and indeed it fits the objective (at least for the "solo" mode: one team against waves of monsters). However I also plan to do a team versus team mode, and it goes outside the line wars model.
I don't want my game to be like X Hero Siege since (from what I saw) you have towers and the same player can manager multiple units. In mine, you'll only have one only hero, and no tower to help you (even in that could change in the future).

But thanks anyway, it's good to see what exists and what to keep/improve from other past games.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I looked into "line wars" and indeed it fits the objective (at least for the "solo" mode: one team against waves of monsters). However I also plan to do a team versus team mode, and it goes outside the line wars model.
I am pretty sure it is PvP... Each team had their own base and hard to defend it from monsters. Teams could directly interfere with each other at the cost of leaving their base less defended.

I don't want my game to be like X Hero Siege since (from what I saw) you have towers and the same player can manager multiple units. In mine, you'll only have one only hero, and no tower to help you (even in that could change in the future).
Only in the one game mode, usually you only have 1 hero which may or may not summon supporting units (which end up useless late game).

I still think "Hero Defence Wars" probably fits the game description more clearly.

You should implement some degree of variation in the monsters that spawn. It would get very boring if there is always a certain order of spawns.

Status
Not open for further replies.