• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Squidle's Terrain(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hey everyone,

I've just jumped in the "Terrain World", that means I'm new at terraining :wink:

Here is the first terrain I've made.

*Added some more terrains!

Attachments

• Lordaeron Fall.jpg
    Lordaeron Fall.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 589
  • Room.jpg
    Room.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 400
  • Room2.jpg
    Room2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
Level 19
you are going from total light to pick black! try to balance that part a bit
also some trees are floating :O

Level 10
Here is a few tips:

#1 Press Ctrl and scroll Down. Now you will see that the black area (range of sight) will move backwards. Keep scrolling until it is completely gone.

#2 At the far end of the screenshots depth you see that there is black fog. Black fog at clear day light does not fit. Go to Scenario>Game Options>Options and then check the area named Use Terrain Fog. Check that box and click the two drop down menus (which say "3000" and "5000") and change them to "1000" and "5000". Then change the color to White, Green, Yellow or any other color that might fit a Fall forrest. (recommened is White or Yellow).

#3 Big rocks and trees do not normaly apper "clean". With clean I mean no scrubs, flowers, bushes or anything. When you place big objectives, such as tree, rocks and buildings, be sure to place smaller doodads such as flowers, scrubs, etc, around the big ones.

+ I am very glad that you are making cliffs with the Raise tool! Do not use Blizzard's common cliffs!

Level 13
Here is a few tips:

#1 Press Ctrl and scroll Down. Now you will see that the black area (range of sight) will move backwards. Keep scrolling until it is completely gone.

#2 At the far end of the screenshots depth you see that there is black fog. Black fog at clear day light does not fit. Go to Scenario>Game Options>Options and then check the area named Use Terrain Fog. Check that box and click the two drop down menus (which say "3000" and "5000") and change them to "1000" and "5000". Then change the color to White, Green, Yellow or any other color that might fit a Fall forrest. (recommened is White or Yellow).

#3 Big rocks and trees do not normaly apper "clean". With clean I mean no scrubs, flowers, bushes or anything. When you place big objectives, such as tree, rocks and buildings, be sure to place smaller doodads such as flowers, scrubs, etc, around the big ones.

+ I am very glad that you are making cliffs with the Raise tool! Do not use Blizzard's common cliffs!

The first I knew already, but the other one are quite usefull!
Thanks for that :grin:

BTW: More tips/opinions are welcome!
And if you have any ideas for terrains please tell me, cuz I'm out of ideas :sad:

Last edited:
Level 13
Just press "V" (then you activate the Ingame View) and then hold Ctrl and right click the mouse and go arround.

Level 11
Okaaay, you need a lot of work with the raise tool. Hills dont have such straight slopes. Try to variate your use of the raise height tool. Also learn to lower your objects. Right now, your trees, rocks, everything is floating. You need a better background. Improve fog, you can't have rays falling over some darkness in a forest location. Needs more grass, enviroment to make it seem alive.

Seconded, but a very light fog.

If that is truly your first terrain, then you should be proud of yourself.
While it won't be winning any awards anytime soon, it is a very good terrain, it just needs some work here and there.

I suggest getting rid of the Rays of Light, adding some very light fog, more doodads, change the camera angle, and fix some of the doodads to make them look more natural.

Level 3
Nice but remember sometrees are floting so use the Ctrl + Page down that will move them down or ctrl + page up will take em up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.