• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[FINISHED]Spells and Systems contest #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Welcome to The Hive Workshop's

spellsandsystems.gif
Spells & Systems Contest #4

Introduction
The Spells & Systems Contest is mostly like a mini-contests due to its low requirement, time limit and prize. The aim in each contest is to make a spell that matches the specification included below. To win, you simply have to try your best to make the given spell while considering the main judging points (see below).
Task
This contest's theme is

Motion

You have to make a spell that somehow involves movement. Ex: Knocking back an object, Making the caster run toward a point etc.
Rules
1. Post your own work only!
2. Only one (triggered) spell should be sumbitted.
3. Don't protect your map!
4. Do not use custom sounds, icons or models that boost your spell's effects!
5. Your spell must support multiple levels (at least 2)!
6. You cannot use WEU's advanced functions!
7. The test-map should provide proper testing of the spell (low cooldown, many/respawning creeps, etc...)
8. Both JASS and GUI are allowed.

If you break the rules, you will be disqualified from the contest.
Entering
To enter, simply add a reply saying you will enter. You must edit that post, and attach your finished spell there!
Do not reply more than once to make it easier to find who's taking part and who is not. Do not reply unless you wish to take part, only Administrators/Moderators may reply as much as they want about the contest (even if not entering).
You have 13 days to submit/modify your spell, and one day (Sunday) will be used for testing the spells and announcing the winner.

You can not enter this contest, if you
-have a negative reputation
-won the previous spells & systems contest.
Judging
Judging will follow a formula:

1. Idea (5 points) - Originality and execution of the idea is the goal.
2. Triggering (5 points) - Making efficient, leakless, and simple (as possible) triggers is the goal.
3. In-game playability (3 points) - Making sure your spell is easily understandable (tooltip, not overcomplicated) to the average player, as well as having a practical use in x game type is the goal.
4. Visual effects (2 points) - Making a nice-looking (but not too complicated) effect, while not hugely hindering the spells playability value (excepting spells with this theme, such as a spell that masks the screen for enemies of the caster) is the goal.
5. Theme (5 points) - The better the spell matches the theme, the more points you will get in this category. ex: A black hole is 'Evil' (judging by the models) magic, but it doesn't really fit 'Evil', so that would get a low rating should the contest theme be 'Evil'. A Death Bolt spell, on the other hand, would score a high rating.
Prize
A spell can earn a maximum of 20 points. It's simple, the contestant with the most points will win.
The winner's prize will be 10 reputation points, and earn a spot in the "Spells/Systems hall of fame" (list of winners of this contest).
However, the winner cannot participate in the next contest.
You have 13 days to work on and submit your spell.

The deadline is: 21.07.07 (saturday), in GMT.

Good luck! I hope to see many great spells.
~Diablo-dk

Level 8
Here is my spell.

It is called "Retreat Under Fire".

When this spell is activated, when the casting unit is attacked, the caster will teleport away from attacking unit to a position where it can still attack the attacking unit.

Attachments

• Retreat Under Fire.w3x
    46.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 9
Ok Im in,
Perfect theme too, I've had a spell that I've wanted to make for a while and it fits in perfectly here :smile:

Level 9
Is vJass or HandleVars/CSSafety allowed?

-Av3n

EDIT: here's my entry Fire Flash, the distance isn't working properly so I made it go to the target point if itdoesn't go ther. prettry ugly but i won't improve this till after the contest. Which includes refining the spell. Oh an typo is in there. It is suppose to be enemy units not any unit

Code:
Fire Flash
Move quickly towards the target point that fire is created, 
which deals 100 damage to enemy units in the way. 
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Level 1[/COLOR] - Has a range of 500. 
[COLOR="darkorange"]Level 2[/COLOR] - Has a range of 700. 
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Level 3[/COLOR] - Has a range of 900

Attachments

• Fire Flash - Demo.w3x
    33.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Level 10
Ok i think im in too, Long time ago i did a spell...mhh let's see what i still know^^

Edit: Ok im done, I hope this spell isn't to bad since i haven't done this month ago^^

Spell is called Out of Control.

Edit2: Shit, i forgot to remove some leaks..well It's hopefully still good^^

Attachments

• Out of Control 1.0 (Spell Contest).w3x
    16.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Level 13
I'm in :)

EDIT1: It's a lot better than the image theme, I really like knockbacks :)

EDIT2: Here it is, Lightning Fury. Knockback angle is a little screwed up though.....I hope I won't lose much points on that :) (Just another warcraft III map :p)

EDIT3: Also I think the damage is too high, but it's veeeeery easy to change :)

Av3n said:
Is vJass or HandleVars/CSSafety allowed?
Handle Vars are allowed of course! I've never seen a good spell in JASS that doesn't use a system like that. It is a standard system that everybody uses. CSSafety is allowed too, as it is only a small helper that prevents bugs. But no big system is allowed, such as Caster System

EDIT4: Arghhh, a location leak! Why do these things happen to me when I already posted my spell?!!

EDIT5: So on sunday you're announcing the winner? When exactly on sunday?

Attachments

• Lightning Fury.w3x
    68 KB · Views: 996
Last edited:
Level 16
Interesting theme. I'll enter. Will propably submit my spell tomorrow.

Edit:07-18: Here it is, Escape. My first spell made in jass. I dont normally use jass, so yea, enjoy :).

Edit:07-20: Improved the code. Made it more efficient.

Edit:07-20: Polished the spell a bit.

Attachments

• Escape - Spell contest map v3.w3x
    33.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Level 4
I don't know how I always check these when they are about to end. and before it started i checked it a few days in a row to see when it would start again and I still didn't notice it. Bad luck i guess, oh well hopefully it starts again on Monday and I'll check it out.

Level 10
Results

Results:

Retreat Under Fire:

By Unscrewed_Magic:

Idea: 2 points. It was a cool concept, but it seems pretty imbalanced in many cases and the caster sometimes gets stuck..

Triggering: 1 point. You had WAY too many leaks and some other unneccesery stuff.

Ingame: 2 points. I think it kind of ruined the spell that it didn't drain mana when the caster teleports, but it may be usefull in some maps.

Visual effects: 1 point. It looked strange to me how the unit teleported. Especieally when it gets into other units or gets stuck.

Theme: 2 points. It didn't really have much motion in it, as it is just teleporting.

----
Fire Flash:

By Av3n:

Idea: 4 points. I like the idea of charging forward with fire. But when i read the tooltip i thought that it left flames in its path which continued to burn
units.

Triggering: 3 points. I didn't quite understand why you used handle vars when you had access to structs(as in you used Vjass). The calculations for moving the unit confused me alot.. You also had a few unused variables.

Ingame: 2 points. Was understandable and can fit in many maps.

Visual effects: 1 points. What the? The way it moved was tottaly screwed up. It was moving in the wrong direction and the distance was very, very wrong.

Theme: 4 points. The unit was moved in the direction so it fits the theme well, Even though the high period kinda killed the "motion" in it.

Also, it didn't give credit for killing units. Timer period 0.10 Made it look really bad too..

----
Out of Control:

By Asgard_Ragna:

Idea: 3 points. I like the idea of making the unit mad and out of control, though it was abit weird making the unit jump that much.

Triggering: 2 points. It leaks, but atleast some of the leaks are removed.

Ingame: 2 points. It works fine, but the stomp effect didn't seem to match
when the unit landed.

Visual Effects: 2 points. The visual effects were ok, not too much, not too little.

Theme: 4 points: The unit was being moved, so it fits the theme.

----
Lightning Fury:

By Silvenon:

Idea: 3 points. A couple of lightning bolts being fired has been made a lot of
times, but still not that un-original.

Triggering: 5 points. The documentation could be a little better, but it was easy to configure. I would say you should use constant functions instead of constant globals and methods as many people are more familiar with them.
No leaks was found and coded well.

Ingame: 2 points. It works good in most maps. But the balls can be moved outside map bounds.

Visual effects: 2 points. The balls moved smoothly and so did the units.

Theme: 4 points. Had motion in it, even though i don't see much relation between lightning and knockbacks.
By the way i didn't find any credits in the test map..

----
Escape:

By Mini-Me:

Idea: 3 points. Seen before, but this was made a bit different than the ones i've seen.

Triggering: 2 points. No variables were nulled and i found a location leak. WAY too many BJs. Please do not use Converted GUI. Also why is half the spell in gui?

Ingame: 2 points. Works in most maps, but the problem is mostly that the unit cannot move a short distance with it.

Visual effects: 2 points. Looked nice leaving images, even though they should be removed abit earlier(Use timedlife instead of TriggerSleepAction)

Theme: 3 points. The unit is moved, but the instant moving doesn't really fit motion that much.

-----------------------------------------
So this contest's winner is Silvenon! Congratulations!

Thanks to all of you for entering.

Remember to keep an eye on the forum, or you will miss the next contest!

Level 13
First of all: Yeeeeeeeaaah!

Second: I can't believe I'm telling you this, but:

Diablo-dk said:
No leaks was found and coded well.

you missed a location leak in the beginning (GetSpellTargetLoc()).

Diablo-dk said:
By the way i didn't find any credits in the test map..

Damn, I was telling to myself: "credit Vex, credit Vex....." but I never did :(

Doesn't "by: KaTTaNa" count as credit?

EDIT: Another question, what happens when it's a tie?

Last edited:
Level 40
If you are concerned as to the moderation state of your spell, please contact the moderator in question (paskovitch in this case) via PM to discuss the topic. (I personally, after reading his moderation comment, had no idea why he ignored it, though I didn't read the actual spell's comments.)

Also, I'll check out your spell tomorrow and give you a rough guideline on what leaked via PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.