• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Screaming Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Harrow.

Nearly four months and nothing posted from me? Such scandal, I'm sure :p
But here I am! With a fresh little bit of text to offer. I'm currently well on
my way of writing what I would like to call "my first book," but I'm certainly
not confident enough to name it as such yet. But the point I'm trying to make
is that as I go along with it, I will likely post less here, seeing as I'd like to
save most of it for a potential publishing.

But I think I can afford to share this one with you:

The Screaming Coast

“My slumber has brought me loathing. Loathing beyond the darkest illusions of delusionary dreams, I fester, as the darkness around me grows. These waters are twisted and cruel, the cosmic toxin of your brethren fertilise my family. The shifts of the sea has spread it far, all the way, to where the Kyan are now making their home beneath the waves. They did not die, and like the dark water, they drifted far away. Now, blessed by the sea-spirits Cerpentho and Apentho, they have adapted to the depths.”

“I sense your loathing, I sense your mind. It holds potential beyond the visions you can comprehend. We may have to deal with the wicked dragon queen and her ilk eventually, but do not despair, ours will be the world where madness reigns; ours will be the world where you will feast. Dread will fill every vessel you bestow, and you shall feed on richness in such strain.”

“I know you to speak truth, I feel you like a dimming beacon in my bones. I am yours and you will conquer, through me and my kind the world will tremble, and I will grow on the world like a tumour.”

“My liege?” Jamez finally broke the silence, a silence that had lasted for three days. They were camped on a shore that humans called “The Screaming Coast” – Here the wind cut to the bones and carved into ones very soul, eternally howling like a thousand wargs. It was due southeast of Sinsbourg, beside the Daggermouth range, a bristle sad beach-mouth opening the Morran marshes out to the southern seas. He did not quite understand why they called them marshes though, as they more resembled a swamp. With looming pinewood and spruces framing shallow ponds and streams. His lord and the Lichsworns presence had brought a chill beyond the wild winds of the sea to this place: As he had walked the marshes, he had seen a thin white sheet of frost covering the slowly freezing underbrush and reeds. The ponds now had the tiniest film of mirroring ice covering its edges and the less robust flora was withering away. A chilling anomaly to drive you mad, even more so than Jamez already felt. His lord inclined his head slightly. “I don’t mean to disturb your--- Nothing, but. We have been here for three days, and we are running low on supplies. You know, we humans need food and such. What exactly are we waiting for?”

“A friend.” Came the sneaking whisper of his lord’s mind aching psyche communication. From the looks on the faces of his men, he had apparently done it to everyone.
“Oh.” He merely responded. He regarded his lord; the frail decrepitly deranged “old man” would have looked foolish where he stood in the water. If it had not been for the eerie blur that surrounded him and the tiny veil of ice circling his feet, clear indicators beyond the general aura of discomfort surrounding his lord that this was no mere man, but something far worse.
Then he turned to walk away. Though as he did, he noticed a curiosity, the Lichsworn had all pulled back to the marsh, framing his men like a wall of the dead. As he contemplated the philosophical meaning of this, he heard the tiniest plink, like a drop falling into a pond, behind him, and suddenly he shivered with an uncontrollable dread. As if all his nightmares were on the brink of becoming true. In his surprise of feeling such a thing, and maybe a little because of the sound, he turned again to look out across the sea. The still sea. There was no wind, no waves, no sound, only the growing tension of dread within his bones. Another plink, this time closer somehow, and another. Then he saw movement, not only a little movement, it was as if the entire ocean floor had come to life: Crawling, skittering creatures like skeletal octopodes broke the surface of the still water and crept toward the humans.
Jamez froze. As he stared fixedly toward the sea, larger shapes emerged. Curious beasts like crabs and lobsters the size of small men, walruses and even some moderately sized whales, all covered by these twisted octopus creatures and all strangely mutated. It looked as if the creatures had pierced the beasts and were now somehow controlling them.
Among them all, a colossal freak of nature towered above the rest; it looked to be a mix between a stingray and an oversized octopus like its smaller cousins. He slowly circled his gaze back toward the marshes. Now he heard, and saw, the chaos that unfolded: The creatures were catching hold of the humans, and boring their twisted tentacles into their skin and heads, while the Lichsworn was holding those who attempted to flee back. The screams were agonizing, the sight horrifying, he thought he knew vulgarity, and he thought he knew dread… This made even him tremble.
The tiniest flicker of movement caught his eye; his lord was staring straight at him. Those deep, eerie and soulless eyes burrowing deep into his very soul. “Don’t worry.” He whispered inside his head “they only consume the mentally sane.”

Only then did Jamez sigh inwardly in relief, and started contemplating the philosophical essence of the new meaning of “The Screaming Coast.” He smiled.

Comments and constructive criticism of any kind is most welcome :)

Copyrighted: Mats Rafoss

Level 4
"They did not die, and like the dark water, they drifted far away. "

So captivating, your work is lovely; I really do enjoy the description you gave of the environment, it was hard to picture but a delicious read.

Who are you electing to publish? And please, give us a little more !

Level 36
Level 4
Thank you so much for your kind words, it means the world to me :)

I'm not entirely sure I follow what you mean by this? >.>

You can find more of what I've written so far, even the
text that foreshadows this one called "A Sinister Meeting,"
here: http://blackrosesandpoetryofdeath.wordpress.com/

I meant every word :)

By publish I meant as in; a publisher for your book, I recall reading something about you writing your first book. For instance, my families friend; Ben. Publishes through Penguin and Disney, from what I have heard its very easy to get someone to produce your book, its selling them thats hard.

I unfortunately couldnt find your foreshadow text in the link that you gave me. Could you give me another link or perhaps paste it here? :)

Level 36
By publish I meant as in; a publisher for your book, I recall reading something about you writing your first book. For instance, my families friend; Ben. Publishes through Penguin and Disney, from what I have heard its very easy to get someone to produce your book, its selling them thats hard.

I see. Well, I've not gotten that far yet, currently I'm more than preoccupied with
actually writing the story. And also, about the text, it should be on the main page
if you simply scroll downwards a little, but here is a direct link:
https://blackrosesandpoetryofdeath.wordpress.com/2014/09/04/a-sinister-meeting/

Level 11
Good one mats. Nice piece of weird fiction.
Overall one compact, tightly wrapped piece, beautifully woven with descriptions of an impending doom. Keeps one on his toes from beginning to the end, maintaining a nice flow of tension. There is nothing else I would point out except that the piece would have benefited if it was slightly longer, i.e by increasing the tension more. The climax could have taken longer, just something I felt. (Now ain't I sounding like a bored housewife XD). Although, my bad if it is an excerpt from your WIP novel, which I have a hunch that it is and is a part of a larger narrative.

Also, props to Heinvers for pointing me here. I could have easily missed this, my schedule has been tight lately and hence I find little time to spend here.

Level 36
Thanks, again :)

The climax could have taken longer, just something I felt. (Now ain't I sounding like a bored housewife XD). Although, my bad if it is an excerpt from your WIP novel, which I have a hunch that it is and is a part of a larger narrative.

Exactly, like this I reckon it doesn't make much sense that it's so short, and maybe I
will make it longer, but currently it's meant to be a short interlude to the main
story to keep the reader on-edge about the happenings on the other side of the world,
so to speak. It'll all make more sense when I've got a more complete version of the
story. Which won't be made public, until a potential publication, but I just might share
it with you. You being such an amazing person, and a good friend :)

(And because I have a habit of abusing my friendships to get feedback on my writing) >:)

Level 11
Thanks, again :)
Which won't be made public, until a potential publication, but I just might share
it with you. You being such an amazing person, and a good friend :)

(And because I have a habit of abusing my friendships to get feedback on my writing) >:)

It will be both an honour and a pleasure to review your work :)

I do sincerely hope that you get published and make it big, so that one day, cigar in mouth, sitting by the fireside, I can tell my grandchildren that I once reviewed the works of their favorite author :)

Status
Not open for further replies.