• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Myth TFL 2.4 Beta(P)

A map based on the Bungie RTS game "Myth: The Fallen Lords".

The flow of the game is as such:
Voting - up to 8 players vote for game mode, time, and cash to start with.

Planning Time - after voting completes, players are given 2 different barracks, and the amount of cash voted on. They use the barracks to hire their squad, spending the cash. During Planning Time, no one can go ambush another player, they are locked at the location of their barracks.

Game Time - After planning time ends, the barracks get taken away, players may move their units freely, and players are left with only the units they hired. Depending on the game mode that was voted for, they'll have different objectives, and depending on the time that was voted for, 5-15 minutes to complete those objectives.

When all but 1 player is eliminated (by a few methods), or if the game timer runs out, a victor is declared, and the next match is run, for a total of 3 consecutive matches.

Elimination - a player becomes eliminated primarily if all of their units are killed. In Assassins game mode, you may get eliminated if your Assassin King gets slain, or in Capture the Flag you get eliminated if another player turns in your flag for a point. Becoming eliminated by any method destroys all your units.

Game Modes -
Body Count - A game mode where players seek to deal the most damage to others, independent of the kill count. Even if a player becomes eliminated (by losing all their units), they may still have dealt the most damage and win that match. I stress the independence from kill count, mostly as a balancing factor - a massive army of 1-2 gold cost units would be worth many more "points" using a kill count system.

Assassins - Chess, more or less. Each player has a King spawned for them at their barracks. Their goal is to protect their king while killing other players' kings. If your king is killed, all your units die with him, thus eliminating you. Winners are declared based on whose king still lives.

Capture the Flag - Each player is given a flag item. At the end of planning time, a majority of their units are given inventories to pick the flag up. The goal is to steal other players' flags, and turn them in to the center of the map where an NPC Turn in guy is located. Like in Assassins mode, if your flag is stolen & turned in, all your remaining units die, thus eliminating you. Winners are declared based on who has turned in the most flags. Players cannot turn in their own flags.

King of the Hill - The middle of the map is the 'hill' (though it's really a pit). Players are encouraged to fight for control of the pit - they earn points for the time they spend in the center. Winners are declared based on who has earned the most points.

Each of the game modes is fairly smart; if all but 1 player becomes eliminated, it notices that and ends the match, declaring winners, and moving on. Handy feature for if players choose 15 minutes, when 5 would have been more than enough.

There's a few other features inspired by the Myth series, but this description covers most of the generic ideas.
Thanks to Clan XMAP on Azeroth for helping test.
Special thanks to Clan TDG on Azeroth for being general Trigger GUI//JASS Gods.

Keywords:
Myth, Mini-Game, Altered Melee
Contents

Myth TFL 2.4 Beta(P) (Map)

Reviews
17:04, 28th Mar 2009 by bounty hunter2: Sorry for the long wait for this map to be reviewed. I am writing a short review now. Firstly your map type and category are set to none and I fixed it for you. Myth TFL 2.4 Beta(P) is an interesting game...

M

17:04, 28th Mar 2009 by bounty hunter2:
Sorry for the long wait for this map to be reviewed. I am writing a short review now. Firstly your map type and category are set to none and I fixed it for you.

Myth TFL 2.4 Beta(P) is an interesting game, that could most likely familiraze with the arena map type. You build an army and then in various game modes you play the game.

The game modes are quite interesting, and there are four of them, thus granting a big replayability factor to the game.

The terrain was done fine, however you used a little too much of the Blizzard cliffs that generally look bad. The city was to flat and symmetrical aswell.

The barracks are to close to each other, and if I train bigger sized units I can't click to check the small ones, I suggest you fix that.

To conclude, an interesting map that has some potential and is fairly original, Approved with a 3/5 (Useful) rating.

Level 4
I played this, could only get 3 people to join though.. Don't know why.

This game sounded good on paper but when I actually played it, it felt like something was missing. Games were kind of short.

also, Assassins game mode didn't work correctly, nobody had a king.

Level 2
thanks for the feedback.

Can you be a bit more specific on what was missing? Games are (intentionally) short; if you played//remember Myth, you might remember most games that were FFA were under 10 minutes total - ones that involved teams were usually no longer than 15-20 minutes.
So yeah, their short, that's why there's rematches.

And no one had a king for assassins? Strange - I'll look into it (every test for that mode works for me when we choose that mode)

Update: New version (2.3 Beta) uploaded,
New: Units get rewarded for kills they get. Scoring is still independent of kills, but it helps make kills mean something.

New: A voting option to enable/disable Trow & Forest Giants as purchaseable units.

Fixes: Assassins bug
I think I resolved the Assassins bug (it would generate one at the location of your barracks, if you didn't have a barracks yet from start location randomization it wouldn't have anywhere to create your King - it now properly waits for a player to have a barracks before generating the king)

Fixes: CTF Flag bug
The same thing as the assassins bug, just with CTF Flags.

Balance Change: Trow & Forest Giants do less damage now (in line with the damage from other units).

Balance Change: Mahir units do slightly more damage, but cost slightly more.

Balance Change: Archers & Soulless have had their weapon type changed to Missile.

Last edited:
Level 4
Good updates. I am not really sure what was missing, maybe it's because we didn't have enough people. The gameplay seemed knid of like hide and seek. I like the idea though, I think it will be fun like promaps1 says with more people.

Level 2
Yeah I hear ya, having more people is definitely more fun =D

I'm going to be uploading a new beta version (2.4) soon, and here it is =D

Changes::
Expanded the King of the Hill region - it should be easier to get points for that mode now.

Reterrained the center - mostly to make it more army-friendly (especially for King of the Hill).

Changed the old "2 minutes 30 seconds" warning/vision sharing to Half Time (1/2 the game time). This is a testing phase feature - it should work just fine, but since it's using a different arithmetic for the time, it may be a little wonky.

Added an ability for Soulless - they can see enemy satchel charges.

Increased the damage & cooldown for Satchel Charges.

Added an ability for Assassin Kings - 10 second invulnerability with 30 second cooldown. Should help alleviate focus-firing balance issues (This may get tweaked in future versions).

Lowered Assassin King HP slightly (was 2500, now 2000).

Increased all unit's movement speed - mostly to help speed up games. Also, Myrmidons were improperly slow (they should have had equivalent to Berzerk movement speed, they are now).

Multiboards - There is a known bug with the Assassins multiboard, it may update the wrong row if your king is alive or dead. Not sure why as it uses the same setup as other boards (and those ones don't screw up that I've seen) - I think it's related to a player leaving the game, but it's something I'll look into fixing if it isn't fixed this version.

Last edited:
Level 2
Hehe, I'd love to host it but my connection sucks (gogo dialup, and the new generation of people with no patience to wait for a DL).

Edit::
New version is in the works to make the Body Count multiboard easier to read (using % of total dmg dealt;; if you deal 1000 damage, and the total damage dealt from all players is 8000, your score is 12.5%.) Also for some balance changes.

A new game type may be added soon (using the Myth series "Last Man on the Hill" as a template). Probably not until a couple more bugs & balancing issues are worked out.

Last edited:
Level 2
Passing project off

With work getting in the way of really putting time into the map, I'm passing it along to a friend of mine in Clan TDG.

Assuming their webpage is up, you can look for a release version whenever he gets done with it at::
http://www.jx3.net/TDG/wiki/index.php/

Judging from the changes he's put in so far, for more functionality/less leaks, it's going to be quite a bit different (yet still mostly the same) as the version here.