• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fire Swamp

User who uploaded this Presents

Fire Swamp
Created by normalice

Map Info:
A fight in the midst of a fiery swampland.

Features:

Someone asked for a 'fire' map. These are hard to pull off because of how horrible the lava looks in this game, but I think I may have managed. The lava is also pathing-blocked, for some element of realism, but there are bridges to just about everywhere on the map. Two markets, three shops, three taverns, three observatories. And of course, lots of fire.

Screenshots:
here

Author's notes:
Dalaran Ruins/Dungeon tileset. Took forever to do the terrain, and honestly I'm still not completely satisfied with it, but am not entirely sure how to improve it: that lava really is horrible.

Updates:
Removed a few bridges and condensed adjacent small 'islands' into fewer larger islands.
Changed most remaining bridges to 'wide' instead of 'long'.
-
Fixed a few minor pathing nuisances I noticed during testing. Specifically: moved observatories and goblin shops closer to the middle to get them out of the between-base/between-expo path, and removed/moved some doodads out of the way for the top-left red creep camp so it's easier to engage them.
-
Forgot to add drops to the center camp (fixed).

Credits:
Thanks to Worpex of FFA masters for the idea

Other work:
Pack

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates
Contents

Fire Swamp (Map)

Reviews
Orcnet19:39, 16th Nov 2013700 FireSwamp (Tested Version Last Updated: 12th Nov 2013) RateScorePercentLetter 5/591-100A RateScorePercentLetter 4/581-90%B RateScorePercentLetter 3/575-80%C RateScorePercentLetter 2/570-74%D...

M

1b5e5a7776e87f86f9c6951fa3dad711_64508.gif
Orcnet19:39, 16th Nov 2013

194715-albums6441-picture75028.png

FireSwamp (Tested Version Last Updated: 12th Nov 2013)

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

Overview:

Gameplay

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"The performance of the game is a good as Blizzard accurate, creep difficulty is neat as well on gathering resources, although players will not expect a bundle of lumber supply from there main bases, still it can be improvised."

Terrain

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Terrain has a bizarre view of fire and flame, this is quite a unique trait for designing a terrain, a real good looking as well."

Management

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Overall map can is recommended."

Total Score: (Gameplay[x/5] + Terrain[x/5] + Management[x/5] / Total Score[15] * 50 + 50)

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
10/1583%B

Level 15
Full Review Emerges

The idea for this map is really inventive and fresh! Trees felt like in the right place I really like that and the hybrid mix of the terrain is pure win, although I think you forgot to put a description on the map and the Suggested Players should be: 2v2v2, FFA (imo, I don't think FFA would be suitable for the map since two players are far too near to one another)

The map may feel a narrow and to tight making maneuvering a bit bothersome and island jumping might leave you unsatisfied, honestly, I don't know how to put it. Overall I think there's a lot room for improvements... :)

This isn't my full review, just leaving my initial feedback. Further testing your map, map rating score will be coming soon.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_110713_204222_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_110713_204222_01.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 315
Level 28
A wild SonofJay appears!

Fire Swamp, I personally find this melee map interesting but really messy on many ways. To use the rarely use but effective Natural-Bridge doodad is already impressive on your part but to abuse it that much? That was so gutsy and I think it did some wonders but mostly backfired. The good thing about this is that its new to some players to have bridge to connect islands after islands and I'm pretty sure they'll enjoy that.

I think you didn't consider that if two team clashes on one of the bridge then maneuvering your army will be a real pain in the ass. Well here is a better situation, imagine 4-6 team clashing on one bridge? Brilliant isn't it? Oh and the bridge can use some love, it looks really plain and bad with the dungeon tileset. Usually using some other doodads to cover its will work.

Anyway, the terrain overall doesn't really appeal to me that much, it sure is nice to mix the terrain, but the terrain tileset you picked doesn't really mesh with each other. I think Dungeon and Icecrown might have been a more interesting terrain to mix having a little bit of symbolism in the mix if you can come up with any. Other terrain issue is that its too empty, I know that you're already dealing with small islands to operate but there are some doodads that doesn't have pathing to clog the small available terrain space. Also those fire, rocks, shrubs doodads that you spammed is actually painful in the eyes right now. You might want to reduce the fire doodads and reorganize the rocks and doodads you spammed.

Gameplay wise, the bridge already brings a lot of interesting stuffs in the table so accompanying it with goblin lab just made everything more interesting. The creep drops is also acceptable(always nice to see melee map with custom item table) and there are lots of creeps to farm.

Anyway, my current rating is just 2/5. I think this should remain pending for a while for you to make some adjustments.

Level 13
A wild SonofJay appears!
I think you didn't consider that if two team clashes on one of the bridge then maneuvering your army will be a real pain in the ass. Well here is a better situation, imagine 4-6 team clashing on one bridge? Brilliant isn't it? Oh and the bridge can use some love, it looks really plain and bad with the dungeon tileset. Usually using some other doodads to cover its will work.
well, it's really intended as an FFA map, but i really hate bottlenecks. I'll try to figure something out - I think that I might be able to expand some of the island in size and use 'wide' bridges instead of 'long' bridges.

Anyway, the terrain overall doesn't really appeal to me that much, it sure is nice to mix the terrain, but the terrain tileset you picked doesn't really mesh with each other. I think Dungeon and Icecrown might have been a more interesting terrain to mix having a little bit of symbolism in the mix if you can come up with any.
I'll give that a shot.

edit: that didn't really work because the only 'natural' cliff type available is snowy, which makes no sense in a fire map..
You might want to reduce the fire doodads and reorganize the rocks and doodads you spammed.
well, the fire is there to mask the horrible lava tiles. Additionally, all of the lava tiles are pathing blocked - I suspect people won't really see the fire very often except from a distance. It's "spammed" in such a way that it blends in to the background. I'm guessing if I clean up the rest of the doodads, it might make the fire look cleaner too.

I'll give it another once-over with a refreshed sense of purpose sometime soon. It seriously took a week of agony to get it how it currently is. I just needed to not look at it for a while and see what other people thought of it..

Last edited:
Level 6
terrain good as always 5/5
creeps 4,5/5 i think in some places the creep camps are too powerful and there are no green creep camps near starting positions
doodad 4/5 some places are just pretty empty, more trees would be better the starting postions are good by trees but the middle is pretty empty
players 4/5 i think the map is pretty big for 6 players because the map is actually big enough for even 8 players
overall rating 5/5