• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BTNPossess

This is for the project Erebus that Boris_Spider and I are working on. The game opens with you as a soul and you must find and possess a specific unit to begin. This will be the "Posses" button and you will then select a target.

As some of you are fond of WIP's, they are provided:

185864-albums2844-picture24159.png
-->
185864-albums2844-picture24160.png
-->
185864-albums2844-picture24161.png
-->
185864-albums2844-picture24162.png
-->
185864-albums2844-picture24163.png
-->
185864-albums2829-picture24164.png
-->
185864-albums2844-picture24180.png

Comments/Constructive Criticism always appreciated.

//\\òó//\\

Update: 2/5/10 Added a subtle bg. (This thing is coming at you from the dark!)

Keywords:
Erebus, possess, possession, ethereal, attack, skull.
Contents

BTNPossess (Icon)

Reviews
02:02, 6th Feb 2010 enjoy: I sense smudge tool abuse. well. Creative and might be useful.

M

02:02, 6th Feb 2010
enjoy: I sense smudge tool abuse. well.
Creative and might be useful.

Level 15
This one is fantastic so far, but it's mostly empty space. it either needs to be cropped to show only the face, or better yet, needs a background. the latter would be nicer as you've gone to so much trouble to make the whole thing look so well and it'd be a shame to cut it out, but yeah.

Level 7
...or better yet, needs a background. the latter would be nicer as you've gone to so much trouble to make the whole thing look so well and it'd be a shame to cut it out, but yeah.

Looks like the others agree, so I added a subtle effect. I was afraid to put one in because this is supposed to attack from the dark, but I think it does look better now. Thanks!

//\\òó//\\

Level 7
90% smudge 10% freehand

If people have constuctive criticism, ways to improve an image, or words of encouragement, they should by all means offer it. Otherwise, it's just another meaningless and useless opinion. If anyone is interested in how I, or anyone else creates an image, try asking. //\\òó//\\

BTW, the smudge tool has its uses; like making steam, cloud effects or other areas a blending effect is needed. When drawing in pencil I use a tortillon or blending stump, and it is in no way less freehand. Smudging is, however, terrible at creating definition, which is why I am fond of using the paintbrush, airbrush, noise, and lighten/darken tools (roughly 99% of the image, if it matters). Occasionally I'll use the shapes, mirror, flip, rotate, colorize, soften, and sharpen tools (about 1% of the image) when needed to create symmetry, shades or texture. I have Paint Shop Pro XII, and a mouse. Not expensive or elaborate tools, but adequate.
To create good definition in an icon, I'll actually tweak it pixel by pixel (especially around edges) which is why I don't do really large versions (I'm not nearly as good as many of you are, and it would take me forever). The final version is only going to be 64x64 pixels, and I believe that is what's important. If you're happy with it, I've accomplished my goal!

Level 15
If people have constuctive criticism, ways to improve an image, or words of encouragement, they should by all means offer it. Otherwise, it's just another meaningless and useless opinion. If anyone is interested in how I, or anyone else creates an image, try asking. //\\òó//\\

BTW, the smudge tool has its uses; like making steam, cloud effects or other areas a blending effect is needed. When drawing in pencil I use a tortillon or blending stump, and it is in no way less freehand. Smudging is, however, terrible at creating definition, which is why I am fond of using the paintbrush, airbrush, noise, and lighten/darken tools (roughly 99% of the image, if it matters). Occasionally I'll use the shapes, mirror, flip, rotate, colorize, soften, and sharpen tools (about 1% of the image) when needed to create symmetry, shades or texture. I have Paint Shop Pro XII, and a mouse. Not expensive or elaborate tools, but adequate.
To create good definition in an icon, I'll actually tweak it pixel by pixel (especially around edges) which is why I don't do really large versions (I'm not nearly as good as many of you are, and it would take me forever). The final version is only going to be 64x64 pixels, and I believe that is what's important. If you're happy with it, I've accomplished my goal!

pew pew!