• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Next Icon Contest - Brainstorming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
A place to share ideas and get our next theme for the contest.

Quite a lot time ago, 13lackDeath and I have thought that representation of "Seven Sins" would be an interesting idea to draw icons about, as you would take four out of seven and represent them in any form desired.

What's your idea? :)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
While I (personally) will always prefer Contests whose aim is to create icons I can use in my modding exploits (i.e. blizzard-style, wc3-type icons (e.g. the last Contest was a great one for me :p)), I'll admit that they can't always be that way, and "Seven Sins" is a pretty cool idea.

Level 30
Wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy and gluttony.

I believe many can represent four of them in a way they see them, such as making Wrath as Berserk-alike ability, Greed as bloodlust, Sloth as sort of Slow Debuff, Envy can go for Taunt, Pride for damage reduction, ... But I guess we could use this thread to comment the possible themes, then launch a poll to determine the theme, and go with the contest.

I'll take on my hand to inform people I know that are interested in icons to post here, these days :)

Apheraz, thank u for starting this thread.

Okay guys, if u want an icon contest in this period, we'll make a poll with the themes that u've suggested and vote for the contest theme.
Then the contest can start.
If most of u can't participate now, not having enough free time for it, then i see no point in doing the poll now.
But we can suggest themes and discuss them here, the more ideas - the better.
I don't know about u, but i'll be busy until the end of June.
From July and until summer vacation ends - i'm at ur disposal. :)

Level 30
For now, we have these:
1. Seven deadly sins
2. Crafting Materials (tech-able? needs clarification from NFWar :) )
3. Books (kinda missed this one at first, but we sure could use some book icons to replace ladder ones)
4. Building upgrades and techs
5. Vegetables
6. Mirage - reversal of a ladder icon
7. Item sets (Personal fav)
8. Elemental Skills/Items
9. Aura Icons
10. Classical tech upgrades (3-sword, 3-shield, 2-caster and such)

...tho we can merge #4 and $10 in one, making it a rounded versatile and anything Techtree-able as an icon set.
I'd also like to add these for commenting could they be possible themes:

11. Orbs
12. DotA skillset re-vamp (don't hate me for this one, but DotA comprises around 100 of heroes of which any you could pick and make new icons for his/her skills, which is a fantastical and versatile base)
13. Command Icons (Attack, Patrol, Move, Hold Position, Stop (Optional: Learn Skill, Cancel))

By the way, this is not just a thread to post ideas. I'd like you to tell me what you don't like, and why, so that we can narrow the selection in the end to around 10 most creative ideas at maximum.

Btw, poll should be a multi-choice.

I'm mostly free, but it would be better if it was after the school was over (July) if you want to.

About which themes I don't like:
1. Seven Deadly Sins - It doesn't give much freedom, you're forced to draw icons that represent sins, and sure, you can draw them in different ways, but I think in the end we will have entries with the near-same content.

3. Books - This one is kinda fine, but I wanted to say that it too doesn't give much freedom...

9 Aura Icons - It's fine to do one or two auras, but 4? What kind of hero would have 4 auras that kinda match (in a set). I fear that the outcome won't be very creative.

Level 36
Animal instincts .... would be nice .....

imo best idea of thread. massively creative and just thought provoking in general. so many possibilities

maybe the contest could be to create an icon for a species of your choice, and four abilities related to that species' natural instincts? for instance you draw a Gray Wolf icon, and then "track scent," "howl at the moon," "pack leadership," and "stalk" (or something like that)

Another suggestions :

Most suggestions on this thread are common, so I think some ideas
- Troll skills (even there's a lot here)
- Human natural abilities (instincts)
- Pirates tools/stuffs ( referring to weapons or ship parts )
- Night Elf/Druids abilities.
- Nature related icons .
- Prehistoric themed icons ( like stone tools, caveman abilities, extinct animals or else)
- WOW inspired icons (units who are not belong into warcraft 3 )
- Mirror images
- Horror themed icons ( I don't know if the last icon contests have done this )
- Lonely/Gothic/Dark icons ...
- Modern stuffs

I have many ideas but I can't dig all of those shit, If I started to sit on the front of computer, my ideas trapped into my brain.... Grrr.. :D

Level 25
Ankh of Reincarnation - Use themes from various mythologies, religions or ancient artefacts to make a suitable replacement for the ankh we all know and love. Which symbol would best represent resurrection/reincarnation?

"Map Settings" Icon Set - Several maps use buttons for things like camera options, formations, companion behaviour and similar things - minor things for which the "best fit" ability icon is often used, which doesn't necessarily represent what the option actually does. (Examples: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/packs-542/darkdeathknights-empty-void-cam-action-200664/ http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/packs-542/sci-fi-ship-systems-icon-pack-200723/ )
(my motivation for this is entirely selfish, I need some good icons for my TD's auto micro feature)

Attack/Armour Type Replacement Icons - Devise replacement attack and armour icons, and feel free to create your own attack and armour types entirely. For example, Element TD has types corresponding with the various elements. You might take inspiration from a game like Mount & Blade, where attacks are divided into blunt, cutting and piercing, each which has a different interaction with different armours.
(I might have suggested this for a previous contest... not sure)
You could do e.g. a modern theme, an ancient Greek theme, or a Chaos theme.

The Key of Three Moons - As with the standard item of the same name, create a set of 3 magical items that can be combined to create a special artifact. A good example of this theme (other than the Key of Three Moons along with its Mooncrystals) would be Sange & Yasha in Dota.

Hero Attributes - At the bare minimum, replacement icons for Strength, Agility and Intelligence. Ideally, 5 or more attributes to determine a hero's power. Use Dungeons & Dragons for basic inspiration.

Level 30
Okay, we've got enough themes now to select from, I'll consult several people known to be good when it comes to icons to vote for their favorites, and from those lists, we'll select the 10 top scored to participate in the public poll. So, thank you all for participating in the theme suggestions - I've given out a small reputation reward to all who suggested at least one theme, both as a 'thank you' reward and as a motivation to suggest the ideas in the next contests :)

I'll also notify here when the poll is created.
Thanks y'all!

Status
Not open for further replies.