• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Strange browser behaviour upon entering the site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Since today my browser, Firefox, shows strange behaviour once I enter the site.

First of all, either the whole browser crashes for around 30 seconds or the tab with Hiveworkshop takes an eternity to load, also around 30 seconds.

While one of the cases occur, the following is happpening with my CPU:
attachment.php

You can hear how it jumps high and down, like slow-motion wash machine sounds.

After around 30 seconds, the browser fixes itself/ the site loads and everything is fine as if never anything happened.

Yesterday everything was fine, but since today this occurs. I did not change any setting of my browser or computer.

EDIT:

Summary:
- Add-ons do not influence the issue, however, Kaspersky Add-on is deactivated automatically after the issue occurs for the first time. Initial deactivation of it, manually, does not change/help.
- Heavy CPU usage during the issue
- Only happens when entering http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/
- Re-occurs when entering the forums site after some time of not doing so.
- Music played by the browser will continue, but all tabs crash during the issue/stop loading
- firefox.exe*32 does not shut down if the browser is closed during the incident manually/forceful via task manager

Last edited by a moderator:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

The best solution is to restart your com.
Doesn't help sadly, problem remains.

Try updating Firefox to a newer version, or rolling back to a previous one if you just did before this started. Alternatively you could use browsers like Edge, Chrome or Safari.
Thanks I will try that.

I was able to collect more information:

• It only happens when entering http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/ or any other forum site. It works fine when entering the news front page or a resource section
  • Occasionally, it kills my Kaspersky Protection add-on
  • Other loading progresses are paused during the problem occuring
  • When closing Firefox during the problem, firefox.exe*32 will not be closed, but stays as if Firefox is still open. I have to manually close it

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Maybe one of the adverts on this site is getting you?

I turned off Adblock for this site since I came back, however NoScript seems to filter out stuff, google-analytics and lijit. I think lijit is the site repsonsible for the ads, I will try what happens once I activate their script.

EDIT: No, it changes nothing. No matter how I adjust the NoScript or Adblock settings, the site will always crash for around 15-45 seconds when entering the http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Check your system for malware and try reinstalling firefox.

But why does it trigger only when entering http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/ ?

Every other site, unrelated to Hiveworkshop works fine, as well as the resource sections and the news front page,
except the forum main page and sub-forums.

It is even worse now, the tab loads for around 30 seconds, then the whole browser crashes for a few seconds, but then everything is alright again.
However, it is worse as it seems to happen now every time I enter the URL after some time ( a few minutes) passed.

I have no idea why, I quick-checked for malware. I am not fond of the idea to re-install my browser, but if the issue remains I will try that, too, thank you.

Also, I noticed the ads are not showing up, even with allowing/ deactivating every add-on related to such things on this site, they just remain black.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Try deleting browser cache. With Microsoft edge the page loads in under 1 second, and others will probably be able to confirm similar results with Chrome and Safari.

Thank you, but didn't change anything. I will re-install the browser now.

Is there maybe something like a log when browsing where one could find the reason for this issue ?

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

The 'funny things' is, the CPU high and down does not stop when stopping the loading of the site ( via the x at the righthand site of the URL bar). It just continues, even when closing Firefox. It only stops when waiting or manually closing the firefox.exe*32

I deactivated my Kaspersky Add-on for now, since the problem here seems to be connected to it. Let's see whether it changes anything.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I can confirm the Kaspersky add-on is not causing this.

However, the Reviewer's Reserve seems to bug on a higher chance than the rest of the forum.

The problem also is more likely to happen when I did not refresh the site for some time ( 4, 5 min+)

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Update: It does not happen from other media, only from the computer I am using now.

Summary:
- Add-ons do not influence the issue, however, Kaspersky Add-on is deactivated automatically after the issue occurs for the first time. Initial deactivation of it, manually, does not change/help.
- Heavy CPU usage during the issue
- Only happens when entering http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/
- Re-occurs when entering the forums site after some time of not doing so.
- Music played by the browser will continue, but all tabs crash during the issue/stop loading
- firefox.exe*32 does not shut down if the browser is closed during the incident manually/forceful via task manager

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

If you have not already, try blocking the ads. (Do not do this at home kids!)

I played around with settings of AdBlock, NoScript and Better Privacy,
nonetheless, the issue remains. Strangely ads won't load for me, not even with deactivating every of named Add-ons. The parts where the ads usually are remains black. So deactivating ad blocks to support Hive seems not to help, as no ads are displayed.

One thing I thought about, now and then it tells me I have a LSO cookie, does it come from Hive ? Could that be related ?

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I don't recall such Cookie from the site. Only hiveworkshop.com and it's branches are the cookies (including the one for logging in automatically). Correct me though, as I rarely checks them.
Hm, haven't checked either, as I said, I rarely get it, not from every visit, so it might be another site.
This recently started happening to me as well (exactly as described, causing me to constantly rejoin the chat every time it occurs) since windows 10 had recently rolled out a new update I figured an interaction between Firefox, Windows 10 and something the hive uses to be the cause though it was/is entirely speculation
Interesting.. Hm, might, if that's in the sphere of things that are possible, be the Reviewer's Reserve, that's my impression. It started happening after becoming Map Reviewer, if I am not mistaken.
I myself don't use Windows 10 though.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Update:

I tried to debug my browser, however, the only messages I could filter out were an error 'Type span = null' or something similar like this and severeal notifications that 'console.log, console.info, console.warn, console.error' were deactivated by a script form this site.

'Type span = null' appeared when the issue occured.

EDIT: The correct errror is 'TypeError: span is null'. It happens when entering the Reviewer's Reserve

Last edited by a moderator:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I am now sure what is going on: For whatever reason, the site seems to load everything ( whatever 'everything' consist of).
I have this theory as sub-forums, e.g. www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/warcraft-iii-255/
crash, too, but only around six seconds.
This would also explain why other loading processes/ newly started loading processes stop during the loading

Status
Not open for further replies.