• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Maps you grew up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Well, I was thinking of all the underrated but excellent maps there are out there that have yet to receive any critical acclaim from mainstream Warcraft mod distributors like Hive. More often than not, these maps are maps which we probably grew up loving as we were too young and ignorant to different shade between good and bad maps.

Looking back, I used to love some really terrible maps, like a dodgy unknown version of Green TD. But there were some maps which I really grew up around like:

Real Life[For Morons]
Pyramid Escape
Castle Wars
Island Troll Tribes

I know not if these maps are still undergoing development and the only version I have right now with me are not 1.24e compatible.

So tell us of any maps which you think deserve some attention.

A few other maps which I really enjoyed were the Black Road RPG and Tales of Athelor.

Level 23
I grew up to Gravano's Season of Uncertainty: The Dark Phoenix.

As if the RoC version wasn't baller as fuck, the Frozen Throne upgrade... Whoosh.

NEHZ's MountainStruggle AoS also whiled away many a Friday night with the old Clan WCM crew. That was some good shit, the only AoS I ever played regularly with actual people. I was still rubbish at it, but at least we had fun (none of this pro-gaming nonsense).

Level 23
I got into the whole modding thing thanks to Explore the Ruins by Castle Orange.

Also really enjoyed Pyrmaid Escape, Azure TD and a few other scenario's which I cannot, for the life of me remember their titles.

Level 9
Of course i wouldn't go on without the classic melee maps :). They are fine as they are... old school strategy. Also i love Island Troll tribes, Phase Killer, and i grew up with a favorite of mine: Medieval Zombie pandemic (by Pyroflame). The map itself seems to have been left to "rot", as far as i have seen, but i still have it and play it sometimes... i don't want to get and update it myself as i don't think it's appropriate (because i am anyway working on another map)... but i hope someone will :D.

Level 1
Well i think Gaias Retaliation ORPG pretty much deserves more attention. It's been forgotten for a while and i cannot say it's new but the creators are now releasing more new versions with bug fixes, more items and spells and stuff. The map is very fun to play. The terrain is great. Although it IS a team rpg. Check out Gaias Retaliation forum here at hive and download the map, also here, to give it a try. We usually play on garena but there are some gaias clans and hostbots on battle.net.
P.S. Sorry i couldn't get any links (right click on my mouse seems to be broken working for some reason).
HOPE YOU LIKE IT :)

Level 1
:ogre_haosis:
I'm sorry to say, but isn't Malygnos doing more advertisement to a map... rather than saying an ON-topic statement like "I grew up with..." ?

Actually no because I just liked the map very much and I just think people should try it. It's similar to WoW...

Uhh... who am I kidding. Look, just give it a try and you'll see what I'm talking about. xD

Level 9
I'm not really fond to those similar to WoW or any other MMORPG sincerely... it's just too much PvP and PvE and quests... I like RPG maps which are more... i don't know... about Roles. :D (Take Island troll tribes for example, some player hunts... another makes the base... another looks for items.... another scouts... etc)

ON-topic: Also i remember i played Warchasers a lot... yet i got bored at some point and i don't play it any longer... i'm just tired of monotonous PvE (dungeon style)

Level 4
Megalith, a fantastic third-person AoS.

Hero Siege, if you don't know what that is, you never played WC3.

Angel Arena Z, a shitty remake of Lil Devil Child's map, but I liked it.

Harmony of Dissonance, which was back in the day pretty much what's Kingdom of Kaliron now: a hardcore multiplayer story-driven RPG. That I still like more than TKoK.

Sect of the Holy Mother has the most epic cinematic storyline I have ever seen in a WC3 map, it's just amazing how much... soul was put into it. Yes, I said soul.

Return of Alisia Dragoon felt like an entirely new game, the story was awesome, the craracters are colorful, who would have thought that a map that's a sequel to a SEGA Genesis game would be so well-made.

Mortal Wrestling, a cinematic series in some Bluajglbautg language, but with the best fight scenes I have ever seen. Ever. You can download it from EpicWar, it's in 4 parts.

And the most memorable map I grew up with was DBZ Supreme RPG 1.5. I cannot describe how long have I played that awesomeness with friends of mine. Yeah, it's not the best DBZ map ever, and it would probably get rejected right now, but back then it was a masterpiece. I guess it's the awesomely scripted spells that made it worth playing.

Let's see... there was also an absolutely amazing single-player RPG made by a guy named BlueHawk, BlueBird or something like that, that I spent countless hours with, mainly because of the storyline.

Level 9
If you want an RPG with real roles and mystery... then i suggest Phase Killer. (you can find it here on the hive). If you want a good survival,teamwork,pvp RPG i suggest Island troll tribes. Otherwise... state what type.

Level 9
Well... if you want one about tactics and skill i recommend Battle Mages (made by Dark.Revenant)... i didn't really grew up with it... but i know it for some time and it's quite interesting and well made. It requires a lot of strategy in combining your own style of spells so you can defeat your enemy players.

Level 7
Final Fantasy Epic RPG (by Ilyas, if I remember correctly) is perhaps the map that holds the most memories for me. Ah, those days in 2008 when I would play that. I was such a noob...

Nature's Call: Return of the Dragon (by Darkie), which I used to play in 2009, also holds very fond memories of a few evenings and mornings when I would play that.
For some reason, I appreciated good maps back then a lot more than I do now.

Level 19
Currently...

Real Life For Morons [by Son of Boron]

Founders Of The North [It's still in development and still advancing pretty well]

Mafia [Once again this is a pretty awesome map]

Don't Click The Button [Bleh]

100 Rounds [A dodging game that uses innovative ideas]

Level 19
It's just incredible how a single game (Warcraft III) can provide so many opportunities to have such great games:)

I forgot to add, The Black Road is great too!

Status
Not open for further replies.