• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Weekend Mapping Madness - Poll

Vote for your favourite entry!

• [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/gideon+a.i./"]Gideon A.I.[/URL] & [URL="http://www.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

weekend%20mapping%20madness.png

poll.png

Paired minigame map

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
prizes.png

• First Place: 30 reputation points each and your entry on an award icon
  • Second Place: 20 reputation points each and an award icon
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points each and an award icon

entries.png

judges.png
  • hvo-busterkomo
  • ?
contest%20judging.png
Judging should be divided between a staff-appointed judge and a public poll, where in you can vote for your favorite entry. Each vote counts for 1 point.

Judging criteria should be based around the fun factor (0 - 5 points), creativity (0 - 5 points) and Aesthetics (0 - 5 points), resulting in a max score of 15 from the judge. While usually judging the coding would also be of importance, for a minigame contest I feel that it isn't nescesary. If your map during the short game time actually starts lagging it will affect the level of enjoyment, and therefor automaticly bring the fun factor down and by that your amount of points in that category.​
disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs. <3​

Hmm, thats weird, py, simply link the post that has the entry, not the entire forum -_-
I just used the links from the post this guy made:
I don't know why, but even links in my posts (contest thread) are bad now...
Damn I checked them few times in that time and all was fine, now even mine map don't work -.-
This is why it's usually better to link to the individual post rather than to its location in the thread. I.e. click on the post count number, not the (permalink) text.

Level 24
Who had the bright idea of giving the users the power to partially determine the outcome of this contest?
Polls do not work for mapping contest, many users are simply to lazy and/or stupid to actually play all maps before they vote. There are also several cases of people voting for the submission with the highest amount of votes (for some retarded reason).

Level 37
Who had the bright idea of giving the users the power to partially determine the outcome of this contest?
Polls do not work for mapping contest, many users are simply to lazy and/or stupid to actually play all maps before they vote. There are also several cases of people voting for the submission with the highest amount of votes (for some retarded reason).

Yea but before even some people gave some reviews... These days it seems like no one. :D

Level 28
Lich, you are far from right on that, most people on hive don't know me, and very few like me over most of the other participants, so I highly doubt that is the case.
Hence the "[/example]".
It was just an example, no need to feel agitated because he pointed at you (the one with the most votes), it's only natural that he did.
(Or well, he could say "Oh wow [guy without votes] made a map! he's cool let's vote for him!", that would certainly help him prove his statement!)

I won't do any reviews either, but I did play all maps.
I voted for Path of Blood because I actually liked the entire idea.
Test Subject Survival is brilliant, one more boss and it would've gained my vote for sure - at the moment there just isn't enough to do.
Midsie, your map contains some extreme bugs (because you couldn't test-play it).
For the rest: HEX was one of my favourites as well, but the entire game is just very poorly made (terrain csurely could've been improved, even if you only had 2 days) and the first difficulty decreases per level.
Mehh, won't comment the others.

Level 37
Didn't seem like an example for me. And ap0c, none of the bugs are game breaking.

For example, what makes "Vengeance of the Land" so great? And why it leads?

So this is not an example? And by the way, why we argue about such a small thing?

So... I just hope a moderator or whoever is leader here will fix the links so that the competition will be fair for everyone. Our link is not the only one that gives wrong information.

Level 51
Meh, here is a little review. Before saying anything, I'm no map reviewer, I just wanted to give you a bit critics.

Well lets start:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

ragingspeedhorn's and TriggerHappy's Test Subject Survival: I really liked the map, though it bugged sometimes when I ran out of the area and then I was defeated :( But it was rather fun dodging the attacks of the abo :) Too bad it was that short though.

Aeroblyctos' and Kitabatake's Path of Blood: I somehow died really often, and I'm not entirly shure if it was because of my noobish playing or your map. I had many fun playing it however. :) The only contra I saw in this was that the hotkeys didn't work on some spells.

Xiliger's and acdestinydream's Monster Madness: Wasn't able to get a review yet.

-Kobas'- and Septimus' Shockwave: Sadly, I wasn't able to test it multiyplayer, will make this review after my brother comes home :)

Gideon A.I.'s and RotundSphere'sExterminatus: Sorry to say, but this was the worst map in the contest. The terrain was rather bad and the text at the beginning was way too fast and unatractive. I never used any spell since I didn't need and the time between the waves was too long.

Kingz' and Berb's Beach Brawl: Same as Shockwave, will test it in Multiplayer when I get time.

Midnighters' and Azurot's Land of Vengance: Well, where to start. The terrain was difently a plus, though, there were lots of pathing blockers missing. When I started the map, I didn't know what's going on, what I have to do and so. The describtion: I'm aiming for vengance for my fallen friends (or something like this) was rather uninformative. I just ran around and killed monsters. Also I didn't get why I had a level 1 and a level 10 monk.

Spencenator's and Uzumaki.Minato's Aerial Attack: The idea with the trees was good IMO, though I died really fast and it was rather hard to survive in solo. Good minigame nonethless.

Marcelo Hossomis' and Laiev's Sunken Battle: I wasn't able to choose a hero, so I couldn't test the map at all.

MistAssass' and o0madaraa0o's HEX: My personal favourite. So simple, so funny. At the beginning everything seems rather easy, though later it's getting real fun when you see the virus behind you. Great job.

[K40$]-Spectre's and Hellwooker's Lycantrophy: Greyworld I really liked the idea with the grey terrain and the atmosphäre was also good. It was a bit hard, though it was great fun.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

None of my reviews are meant personally. Will make the missing reviews when I played the games and will give my vote when I reviewed every map. Also, to repeat it, I never rewieved maps nor am I a really good player, I just wanted to give some (hopefully) usefull reviews :)

Level 26
Test Subject Survival: Well, first of all, I'd like to say that I love boss battles when they're not just "slightly harder than normal enemies". They offer a unique element to otherwise replaceable combat. Shadow of the Colossus, for example, is a glorious beacon of light in this regard. The first abomination boss was pretty fine. And then there was nothing. Points for premise; not much else.

Path of Blood: Right off from the start, shame on you for trying to use the loading screen to hypnotize me. The game's balancing seemed a bit off to me, as on normal mode, I was getting my ass kicked left and right, and yet on easy mode, my computer was lagging from the sheer amount of items left on the field before I quit. Otherwise, the gameplay is nice, if not a bit too repetitive. Obviously, contests don't give a very good time span to add tons of spiffy features, so that deserves leeway. Other minor flaws include the necromancer's skeletons costing food, lack of midgame gore adjustment (I might have missed it, but I definitely bit much more than my computer could chew), and the bleeding system, which really turned into more of an annoyance than anything else. The problem with adding gameplay elements like equippable items and bleeding into the fray is that you have to make sure the player finds it worth integrating into his gameplay. You can expect the typical player to just ignore those features and treat them like some kind of minor annoyance and random, unspottable sounds when they have too many units to care. Otherwise, though, I love the variety of units, and it's definitely a game worth playing.

Shockwave: Well, right off the bat, the game asks me if I'm "Ready to be shocked," and in my mind I reply "Hell no; I'm not even resisting arrest." Anyways, the first thing I noticed was that the map was rather large. And the units were rather slow. To pass the time witnessing what was evidently an elderly man's journey to the other side of the continent, I decided to choose a spell. Namely, Multi-Shock, because the name of the game is Shockwave, so the more shocks, the better, right? Well, evidently not, because I was treated to soul-crushing disappointment when it turned out that Multi-Shock required twice as much mana as I started out with. Which begs the question, why was it available in the first place? Unless its purpose was to trap greedy cretins like myself. In which case, brilliant! The fact that all the competitors are allied seems to be a bit counter-intuitive as well. The range at which you cast shockwave is not the same range at which shockwave reaches, so it inevitably comes up a little short of the enemy. Not that it actually hurts the enemy, because it doesn't hit allies. This also means whatever kills you can get don't add to your experience. You should also get someone to proofread all your text, but really, who's going to notice besides me? Easily remedied design errors aside, there's also the very generic and boring feel to the game. According to the description, Thrall decided to have a competition for something something go kill each other plots are for pussies. I'm not entirely sure what unique gameplay element this was supposed to prominently feature to capture our attention. There might be some explanation to all this, but I don't have the patience to slowly drive my Tauren around the map, killing allies at least 30 times with just my heavy-ass halberd to find out.

Exterminatus: The model's textures can use more contrast around the edges, because it looks like I'm playing with army men. But that's a tad irrelevant. First off, please make the text slower and color-coded. It's somewhat of a strain to look at. Better yet, make the dialogue into a cutscene, so I will have more reason to read it. At first I didn't know what was going on. It was just marines tearing through some orcs like condoms in a frat house, and there was some sidequest to rescue marines. This game suffers Shockwave's problem of being rather generic, but it works and it's based on WH40K, so it's at least more excusable in that regard. All of a sudden, a bunch of larger orcs came and beat the shit out of all the marines, and I survived just long enough to spontaneously win. Huh. Well, there's not much to this game, but whatever it does, it does without fucking it up. The spells could use some work too. Ground pound really isn't all that useful when everyone uses a gun, the supercharge spell shouldn't be a target spell when the only person it affects is yourself, and resurrection really doesn't work that well when there are so few marines and their corpses decay. Overall, the game works just fine. I just wish it actually did something interesting.

Vengeance of the Land: To begin with, this was the first game that made me lol because the "Summon Holy Guard Dogs" spell had the icon of a cobra. Irrelevant? Hell yes. Anyways, my laughter turned out to be unreasonable because the Guard Dogs turned out to be shiny weird-ass salamanders, which still don't look like cobras, but I would imagine it's hard to find a suitable icon for "Blindingly Crystalline Lizard Thing". Okay, still irrelevant. Moving on. It's readily apparent that this game is broken, so I won't prod into that. The cliff-walking and lava-walking is hilarious, and Lio has a clone, but the terrain's nice-looking. There's really not much else to say about this game. Whatever was attempted to be accomplished simply wasn't in the given time span. So I accumulated an army of Dog-Wolf-Lizards and took down the Firelord boss thing multiple times.

Aerial Attack: If there's one thing I love about this map right from the start, it's the user-friendliness. The map description even says "The Entry of our Mapping Madness!" so you don't get confused. Then they go on to solidify this notion with a starting game cutscene. Smartassery aside, I quite like the cutscene with the moving trees to imply flight over land. I think it's creative and funny. The gameplay's rather fun, and the spells are actually worth using. I would have appreciated it, though, if the birds didn't kill me in a single hit. Sinister avian scum. I quite honestly don't think I could survive flying into a plane, yet die because I ran into a bird. Perhaps if everything could kill you, it could make for a bit of a fun game with Gradius-style elements. You'd also need lives for this to work, because god damn did I die a lot. This is one of the more creative and promising of the maps here, and the best part is that it works! By the third level, though, I was greeted with a black screen, left only to listen to the amount of fun I could be having if the game didn't break down on me. Oh well. It's still a great game.

Sunken Battle: A Kafka-esque representation and deconstruction of mankind's follies. Brilliant.

Lycantrophy: I hope that's a pun. In any case, contrary to what the title may imply, there are no wolves, and and there are no trophies. While this is one of the less broken of the maps, it's a tad dull and uninteresting. There's exploration, but not much reason to do so. You have 3 forms and 4 spells, which is pretty good for a hero, and the atmosphere was fine. But I don't know, something was missing. Besides the werewolves and the trophies.

HEX: The game introduces itself with hackers and viruses and opening doors, so from the very beginning, it caught my attention. It has a bit of a nice, frantic feel to it when I open doors in a frightened attempt to outrun the virus. However, the hacking sequences are repetitive, you play the same 40 seconds over and over again, and the game actually seems to get easier over time. Overall, you just get tired of this game really, really fast.

Monster Madness and Beach Brawler I couldn't play, either single player or online. Don't know why.

Anyways, my vote goes to Aerial Attack. It was the most interesting, fun, creative, and complete of them all.

As a side note, Test Subject Survival is the one I would most like to see completed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.