• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

To the Bitter End

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.

To the Bitter End
v1.0.08
Created by Soul Reaver

120812-albums5014-picture50579.jpg

Introduction:

For centuries, the people of the Plane of Ithia have suffered under the iron-fisted rule of the immortal sorcerer Morganem and his Council of Six. Now finally their pleas for help are answered: five legendary heroes arrive from beyond the crimson storms of the warp, seeking to topple Morganem's corrupt Empire.

But Morganem will not step silently into the darkness of history, and he prepares to fight these interlopers to the bitter end.

A story-driven, single-player action RPG, "To the Bitter End" has been over six years in the making and features an original setting and with completely original characters, abilities, items and spells.

Control a small group of legendary heroes as they travel throughout the Plane of Ithia, battling the forces of the tyrant sorcerer Morganem over eight Chapters and two cinematic-only maps.

Be prepared to react quickly to changing battlefield conditions and use your abilities strategically to counter whatever the enemy throws at you. Face a variety of challenges, from sneaking out of a prison to taking on a whole army head-on to duelling enemy immortals one on one.

During your battles, gain experience and grow in power to truly superhuman levels. Wield abilities that can break the backs of armies. But beware, for your foes are powerful and relentless enough to be a match even for your mighty heroes.

Be prepared for a challenge as you snatch victory from the jaws of defeat and conquer enemies that seemed insurmountable.

Now also available:
To the Bitter End Manual

(Click the image to view, or right-click to save)

A lovingly-crafted illustrated manual, detailing not only basic gameplay instructions, but also delving into the background stories of the campaign's setting, heroes, villains, and monsters.

120812-albums4231-picture40051.jpg

The Sphere of Annihilation spell obliterates everything in Soul Reaver's path.

120812-albums4231-picture40052.jpg

A companion consumed by vampiric madness.

120812-albums4235-picture40083.jpg

The companions fighting side-by-side against Morganem's forces.

To the Bitter End
Version: 1.0.08

Single Player Action RPG/Campaign

For centuries, the people of the Plane of Ithia have suffered under the iron-fisted rule of the immortal sorcerer Morganem and his Council of Six. Now finally their pleas for help are answered: five legendary heroes arrive from beyond the crimson storms of the warp, seeking to topple Morganem's corrupt Empire.

But Morganem will not step silently into the darkness of history, and he prepares to fight these interlopers to the bitter end.

Official Site:
http://www.warpstormstudios.com/tothebitterend

Installation instructions:
--------------------------

Note: To the Bitter End does not support post-'Reforged' versions of Warcraft III (that is, versions after v1.29) as those have removed Custom Campaign suppport entirely. It has been tested on and should work on anything from version 1.27-1.29. Assuming you are using a version that supports To the Bitter End:

Put the .w3n file into your Warcraft III 'Campaigns' folder.

You can play the game by starting The Frozen Throne, then selecting 'Single Player', 'Custom Campaign', and then navigating to the campaign titled 'To the Bitter End' and selecting it.

It helps to have your video settings for Warcraft III set to high quality, or some custom skins in some of the campaign might look a little... weird.

Note that To the Bitter End is more hardware intensive than a standard game of Warcraft III, so your computer will need to exceed Warcraft III's minimum system requirements to run smoothly.

Difficulty:
-----------

To the Bitter End is supposed to be very difficult.

However, for those finding it simply too tough, as of version 0.7.04, I have added in variable difficulty levels, and the mechanics of this were revamped in v1.0.07. Once in-game, press Enter to bring up the chat window, then type in 'easy', 'medium' or 'hard' (without quotation marks) to change the difficulty at any time. Difficulty persists until you enter a command to change it again, even between Chapters. The default difficulty is 'hard'.

Easier difficulties will (usually) reduce the damage you take and increase the damage you inflict from all sources. In-game stats and tooltips will not reflect this change however.

Remember though: real heroes play on hard!

Music:
------

If for some crazy reason you want to turn off the in-game music for a given Chapter, type 'music off' (without quotation marks) into the chat text in-game. To turn it back on, type in 'music on'.

This special command is required because the way that 'To the Bitter End' handles the in-game music sometimes prevents Warcraft III's in-built volume control from properly affecting the music volume.

Note that even with the 'music off' command, music will still play in a few key cutscenes.

Other Notes:
------------

For further info and an extensive manual, check the 'official site' at www.warpstormstudios.com/tothebitterend

This is the full version of To the Bitter End, and contains all ten Chapters (two of which are cinematics-only):

Prologue: Shadows Rising
Chapter I: Dark Dawn
Chapter II: The Dream of Blood
Chapter III: Juggernaut
Chapter IV: Heart of Ice
Chapter V: Reunion
Chapter VI: Harbingers of War
Chapter VII: Grim Harvest
Chapter VIII: The Bitter End
Epilogue: New Beginnings

To check the version number of your campaign, type 'version' (without quotation marks) into the chat text in-game and it will display (or if nothing displays, then your version is definitely out-of-date). The newest versions are always available on the official site.

Although I am solely responsible for creating this map, several central character featured in this campaign were envisaged by the writers at The Administorum (http://theadministorum.yuku.com/) and its newest incarnation, the Administorum 2.0 (The Administorum - Index).

A word on cinematics:
---------------------

It is possible to skip any of the cinematics, just press ESC.

You are advised to watch the cinematics at least once. They will often give you instructions as to what to do next and offer clues as to what to expect. Making sense of the game plot without them would be pretty difficult.

One 'bug' that occurs if you skip the cinematics is that any items or abilities that might have 'cooled down' and become available over the course of the cinematic will now not do this. This means that if you want to use those items/abilities often, you may have to wait around more... and if there's a timer counting down while you wait, that might not be advisable. This isn't a major thing, but it does mean that the game might be slightly more difficult if you skip the cinematics.

If you want to be sure to experience the game how it was meant to be played, then don't skip the cinematics. That's how I planned the level out and how I spent the most time testing it.

Hints/Notes:
------------

Use your quest log if unsure of what to do next... that's what it's there for.

Read the tooltips if you want to know what an ability or item does. In fact, this is strongly recommended.

The Sphere of Annihilation and Cataclysm abilities are appropriately named, because they will pretty much obliterate ANYTHING in the target area. That includes things you might prefer to keep un-obliterated, such as yourself.

Your items are re-usable. However, they have long cooldown times. Save them for when you need them, and then unleash hell.

To the Bitter End is very unforgiving. SAVE OFTEN.

You can find Chapter-specific hints (should you need them) at the official site at http://www.warpstormstudios.com/tothebitterend.

Don't expect to find Raziel from the Legacy of Kain series in this game. I've been using the name Soul Reaver for my RPG alter-ego since long before even the first Blood Omen came out. The Soul Reaver in this map is an original character.

Credits:
--------

To the Bitter End designed, written and created by:
Andy Krieg

Title screen and concept art by:
Stephen Cousins

Chinese localization by:
Heishimo (He)

Russian localization by:
Кирляндия

Original Character design:

'Soul Reaver' by Andy Krieg
'Fei Serumen' by Anthony Passmore
'Cameron Aileron' by Sean Britton
'Kitharsis' by Bryon Laird
'Sera Poi' by Anthony Di Cesare
'Slayer' by Eric Rodseth
Additional characters by Andy Krieg

Music:

Title:
'Kalki (edit)' by E.S. Posthumus

Prologue:
'Pompeii' by E.S. Posthumus

Chapter I:
'The Wretched' by Nine Inch Nails

Chapter II:
'The Becoming' by Nine Inch Nails

Chapter III:
'Tikal' by E.S. Posthumus

Chapter IV:
'Nineveh' by E.S. Posthumus

Chapter V:
'Karma' by Kamelot

Chapter VI:
'We're in this Together' by Nine Inch Nails

Chapter VII:
'Welcome Within' by Godsmack
'Ultra' by KMFDM

Chapter VIII:
'Yamiiro no Yume/Anger (edit)' by Kasamutso Kouji
'Missing Time' by MDFMK
'Kalki' by E.S. Posthumus
'Ashielf Pi' by E.S. Posthumus
'Kuvera (edit)' by E.S. Posthumus

Epilogue:
'Indra/Arise (edit)' by E.S. Posthumus

Additional Concept art donated by:
Chris Oldland
Tom Hering

'Void Breach' based on 'Black Hole' model by:
WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Weapon models extracted by:
Larc

Hero Glow model by:
Assassin_lord

Damage Detection based on GUI Friendly Damage Detection v1.2 by:
Weep

Special Thanks to:
The Administorum
Blizzard Entertainment
The Hive Workshop
Filefront
Warnicro
You, for playing

Extra Special Thanks:
Ji Xu

Tell me what you think! E-mail me ([email protected]) if you have comments or questions about 'To The Bitter End', the Multiverse, or Soul Reaver.

Please do not redistribute or modify these files without my permission. These files are not to be sold for profit.

Keywords:
Action, RPG, Campaign, Epic, Fantasy, Hard, To the Bitter End, TTBE, Cinematic, Story, Soul Reaver, Fei Serumen, Cameron Aileron, Kitharsis, Sera Poi,
Contents

To the Bitter End (Campaign)

Reviews
Date: 12:36:51 13-Nov-11 Map Moderator: -Kobas- Map Status: Approved 6/5 Contact map moderator: Visitor Message / Private Message! Useful Links: If you have any complaints or questions about your map, please make a thread here:Map Resource...
Level 6
The Void Child Hatred is actually based on the Crypt Lord. However, it's kind of irrelevant which hero they're based on - all the relevant fields (including animation fields, characteristics, skills etc) were modified with custom values. They don't really retain very much from the original hero they're based.
and... if you make void child hatered on crypt lord then you make void child despair on?

Level 6
The Void Child Despair is based on the Lich, but again: all custom values, so it doesn't really matter much what hero I based it on.
than sory for if i am bothering but just.. you know... for example when i downloaded dwarf campaign i could open it in world editor and copy all stats from units i am interested in but here it doesn't work (can we e-mail it?)

Level 14
Yes, the maps I released are compressed - that means they take up less space, but also means they can't be opened successfully in the World Editor.

It's not an easy matter to recreate the Void Child heroes from scratch unfortunately. Several of the abilities involve multiple triggers and both normal and 'dummy' custom units and abilities. So you wouldn't be able to do it by just transposing one unit, you'd have to transpose a large number, as well as several custom variables and triggers.

Last edited:
Level 6
Yes, the maps I released are compressed - that means they take up less space, but also means they can't be opened successfully in the World Editor.

It's not an easy matter to recreate the Void Child heroes from scratch unfortuantely. Several of the abilities involve multiple triggers and both normal and 'dummy' custom units and abilities. So you wouldn't be able to do it by just transposing one unit, you'd have to transpose a large number, as well as several custom variables and triggers.
I don't need to make abilities .I just want to have stats and other world editor stuff to make Void childrens and Void children Heroes to at last lvl 10(can you e-mail it to me?)

Level 14
I don't need to make abilities .I just want to have stats and other world editor stuff to make Void childrens and Void children Heroes to at last lvl 10(can you e-mail it to me?)

If you want to make those heroes work you'll pretty much need to work off the custom map, which I don't like to give away - the Void Children for example are storyline elements of To the Bitter End and I don't really want carbon copies of them appearing 'out in the wild' outside of the story I wrote for them to occupy.

The units' stats alone will only let you make a unit with the same HP/Armor etc, but they won't be able to use their abilities or use any useful AI unless the map also includes the custom abilities, custom dummy units, custom buffs, map settings, triggers, imported models/images and variables. I personally prefer if people learn how abilities work and then create them for themselves rather than copy them from other peoples' maps verbatim, since it encourages greater creativity and a better understanding of the world editor. If there are particular abilities you've seen them use that you'd like some guidance on making, feel free to email me at [email protected] and I'll try to help guide you through how I made them.

Though if all you're interested in is the stats without the abilities, I can email screenshots of those numbers to you. Let me know if that's what you want.

Level 6
don't worry... all i want is just keep those void childrens to myself (i don't wana share them on internet.. and i don't need abilities.. i can make some custom by myself)

Level 14
Noticed a bug in the Chinese version which caused a couple of the credits to not appear in the end cinematic.
This has been fixed at the official site.

It was a very minor change so I haven't incremented the version number of the Chinese release.

English release is unaffected.

Level 6
Noticed a bug in the Chinese version which caused a couple of the credits to not appear in the end cinematic.
This has been fixed at the official site.

It was a very minor change so I haven't incremented the version number of the Chinese release.

English release is unaffected.
Does you have update for english version in plans?

Level 14
Does you have update for english version in plans?

The bug I fixed was unique to the Chinese version, caused by an incorrect alpha channel in two of the image files. The English version doesn't have that problem and doesn't need the fix.

If I had a lot more time on my hands there are some things I'd like to try and do with the campaign, but those would require a huge amount of time and I'm busy with too many other things, so even if I do that eventually, I don't think that's likely to be soon.

Bugfixes are still possible if I find something sufficiently major that I can actually fix, but overall I think the campaign can be considered mostly finished now.

Level 3
Poor exposure of characters.

one-dimensional characters very edgys

good ambience

Balanced difficulty to the last level

It is annoying to wait more than 5 or 10 minutes for a map to load.

There is no such thing as and a why of everything.

the execution of the music is fine.

There is no lore in this story.

2 stars my score.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69

good ambience

Balanced difficulty to the last level

2 stars my score.
It's all your opinion.

There is no poor representation of characters. They are many and this is a Warcraft III campaign, not a book. There's enough screen time for each of them to get to know them. Mostly, this is about Soul Reaver.

Levels load normally, like any Warcraft III campaign map. It is your machine that loads them slowly.

There's even a manual with background story that you can download beside the already enough story of the campaign.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

The way I see it, you're a hater. Most of your ratings are low because of your dislikes not because you tried being objective. I bet you haven't created something near as any of the stuff you rate.

Level 14
Hello Edusx, while you're entitled to your opinion I think some of your comments are objectively wrong - and I'd be happy to illustrate why if you can expand on your comments.

Can you name a single event in the game that you felt there was no reason for?

Did you read the manual (http://www.warpstormstudios.com/tothebitterend/Files/TTBEManual.pdf)? It's 82 pages, most of it lore and character backgrounds.
And even that manual is a very condensed version of the lore. There's genuinely too much lore and background to pack into the campaign itself. In-game the characters know their own (and each other's) backgrounds, and the urgency of their quest is such that they don't have time to stuff around waxing lyrical with too much angst or telling each other about how their universe works.
As not everyone cares about lore, the game is designed so you can overall gather what's going on and what peoples' motivations are from playing the game alone, but if you want the complex details, you need to read the manual.

Each map/game loads in under 1 minute for me. If this is happening for you, it's likely a problem with your machine.

Last edited:
Level 29

I didn't find any of the characters one-dimensional.

Read the manual Soul Reaver displayed. Those one dimensional characters will become three-dimensional right away and the lore is explained.

5 minutes?
Wanderers of Sorceria is a way larger campaign and the loading lasts less than a minute!

Thanks to Soul Reaver I now listen to Karma - Kamelot. Thanks Soul Reaver for showing me such an awesome music :D

2 stars my score.

2 stars out of 2, right?
Granted, this is not exactly Wanderers of Sorceria or Legends of Arkain level, but it is still quite a fun and interesting campaign, even if it is quite hard and only has 6 maps to play.

I, at the minimum, give it a 8 out of 10.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Ah, To the Bitter End. Such nostalgia. I am getting old.
I remember playing this many many years ago. Challenging and not very long, but still fun I say.
It has been years since I played this, but I am quite optimistic that this is still high quality stuff,
I doubt that @Soul Reaver would have decreased its quality.
5/5 from me for fond memories.

Level 6
I've not completed this campaign though I did play through a few levels a while back and I just want to say that this is so inspiring to me. I can clearly see that this is (was?) so much of a passion project for you, with a lot of heart and soul put into it both inside and outside of the game. I'm working on a similar project that I also hope to upload to the site soon(tm) that is also very dear to me, and seeing projects like this on the site really makes me happy that there's so many people who enjoy these projects :)

Congratulations on a successful campaign!
5/5 rating

Level 3
Allí right

Very well, I have given an opportunity to your campaign and with respect to my previous criticism, this one is obsolete because I play an old version.
Here are my points.

-the story itself, despite being acceptable, I did not like the idea of raising the concept of void right at the last level, during the adventure.

-Lore is well stated in the manual, it hurts that the game experience is not reflected by not being in it.

-I've noticed a great balance throughout the game, no longer crashing at level 6 and 7 nor is it slow to load.

-the final level lacks more balance since it ends more than 25 times saved and loading.

-in level 6 there is no chronometer to know at what moment the drak kul appear in large quantities.

-It sometimes bothers me the idea of depending on the life of an allied hero not to lose, what luck that is only in level 1 and 5.

-The final cinematography I loved and I liked the outcome and work that gave.

@Soul Reaver Thank you for responding to my critic, it was the clearest and most consistent with respect to other casuals.

PS: I will change my score.

Level 14
Allí right

Very well, I have given an opportunity to your campaign and with respect to my previous criticism, this one is obsolete because I play an old version.
Here are my points.

Thank you for taking time to write a thought-out reply. I'll respond to some of your points below (other readers please note, spoilers ahead):

-the story itself, despite being acceptable, I did not like the idea of raising the concept of void right at the last level, during the adventure.
-- Aside from the manual, the Void is already introduced in the Prologue cinematic, with Morganem contacting and summoning the Void Children (this act actually sets in motion the other major events of the story). Its increasing importance and threat is reflected in-game by the heroes facing progressively more (and more powerful) Void Children. And Chapter IV already demonstrates the fact that the Void/Void Children have sinister goals of their own in that they end up turning against their Dharuk 'allies' - this is crystallized further by what the dying Dharuk Warmaster tells you in Chapter VII (that Morganem has basically cast the Dharuk aside and only relies on the Void Children). It should become clear to players that the Void poses a very real and growing threat throughout both the gameplay and the story, even though its exact nature isn't revealed until Chapter VIII.

-Lore is well stated in the manual, it hurts that the game experience is not reflected by not being in it.
-- One of the main things that I tried to do with To the Bitter End was to avoid too many instances of people laying out lore details unless it actually served a practical purpose for the characters. The heroes don't learn the details of Dustwalker's past because, frankly, it doesn't matter to them or to him to explain it. The same goes for a lot of the other details. What the lore does do is explain a lot of character's motivations, but they aren't required to understand the overall plot (ie, it helps explain "why" some things happen, but it's not needed to understand "what" is happening). Going into that level of detail would have slowed the story down significantly, for little benefit, and in many cases would have been nonsensical (since the heroes are almost under some sort of time pressure). By the same token, some players don't really like lore and don't want long stretches of unnecessary lore explained to them, so To the Bitter End was designed to provide just the key parts of the story in the game itself for those people, while allowing lore buffs to read up on the background details in the manual if they want to.

-I've noticed a great balance throughout the game, no longer crashing at level 6 and 7 nor is it slow to load.
-- Glad to hear that. There were some very early builds that had continuous crashing but that got fixed a long time ago.

-the final level lacks more balance since it ends more than 25 times saved and loading.
-- True, Chapter 8 is extremely tough. That said, it CAN be done with a lot less than that, but requires a lot of experience and a small measure of luck too. The key thing is that almost everything that the final boss does has a counter - it's just hard to pull it off, and you typically have to first find out what the counter is (which you likely won't find out straight away).

-in level 6 there is no chronometer to know at what moment the drak kul appear in large quantities.
-- No, there isn't, but it's a pretty generous timer - enough for you to bust everything and rest everyone up. Previous missions, like Chapter IV, also have 'implicit' timers like this one, so it's not a new mechanic. By now it should be clear that the game will punish you if you stay in one place too long.

-It sometimes bothers me the idea of depending on the life of an allied hero not to lose, what luck that is only in level 1 and 5.
-- Yeah, this I can understand. Admittedly, I've never had Hektor die in Chapter I - he'll only die if you do extremely badly and don't do anything to distract his attackers. Otherwise he holds his ground quite well. Chapter V is a lot harder, but the first instance is easily avoided by charging immediately, and the second can be by not letting the allied heroes wander away too far from where your own heroes can support them. Their AI is designed to retreat if they get badly hurt, but if you abandon them to the point where they get surrounded or stunlocked, then yes, they'll die. Keeping them alive is something that players need to account for as part of their strategy.

-The final cinematography I loved and I liked the outcome and work that gave.
-- Thank you, I worked a long time on the final cinematics.

even if it is quite hard and only has 6 maps to play.

Thanks for going to bat for my campaign. But just thought I'd correct you on this one thing: it's 8 playable chapters, not 6. :p

Last edited:
Level 1
Finished this masterpiece a few days ago. It was not like unforgivingly hard-but then I played this knowing what my enemies would do and what I had to do.

Just a few ramblings:
-I wonder what it would be like to raise other heroes from scratch. (aka Fei or Sera trying to break thru the prison)
-Your work on spells are one of the coolest effects I've ever seen.
-I keep using Blood Frenzy first and then Celerity. How foolish of me.
-During the final boss fight where he brings up those big Void Child Heroes at a quarter of his health, I was waiting for him to tp away and heal them but it never happened. I don't know what exactly happened, but I was trying to keep him chain-stunned and was barely doing it so I suspect I interrupted his tp spell during the cast animation or something. Had to spam every ult and big item not on cooldown to get out of that mess.

Level 14
Finished this masterpiece a few days ago. It was not like unforgivingly hard-but then I played this knowing what my enemies would do and what I had to do.

Just a few ramblings:
-I wonder what it would be like to raise other heroes from scratch. (aka Fei or Sera trying to break thru the prison)
-Your work on spells are one of the coolest effects I've ever seen.
-I keep using Blood Frenzy first and then Celerity. How foolish of me.
-During the final boss fight where he brings up those big Void Child Heroes at a quarter of his health, I was waiting for him to tp away and heal them but it never happened. I don't know what exactly happened, but I was trying to keep him chain-stunned and was barely doing it so I suspect I interrupted his tp spell during the cast animation or something. Had to spam every ult and big item not on cooldown to get out of that mess.

Great! Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'm actually especially happy you considered it "not unforgivingly hard" - that's pretty much exactly what I was aiming for!

You mentioned you played it knowing what the enemies would do. Did you play it after watching a Let's Play video or something?

Interesting that the final boss didn't teleport away when the Hatred and Despair showed up. His AI triggers are quite complex and overlap, so it's possible that you might have 'broken' that event somehow if you stunned him too much, but I'm not quite sure exactly how that would have happened. I might take another look at them sometime if I feel another update is warranted.

Level 1
Great! Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'm actually especially happy you considered it "not unforgivingly hard" - that's pretty much exactly what I was aiming for!

You mentioned you played it knowing what the enemies would do. Did you play it after watching a Let's Play video or something?

Interesting that the final boss didn't teleport away when the Hatred and Despair showed up. His AI triggers are quite complex and overlap, so it's possible that you might have 'broken' that event somehow if you stunned him too much, but I'm not quite sure exactly how that would have happened. I might take another look at them sometime if I feel another update is warranted.

Well, I came across good old Mr. Jayborino playing this campaign and went straight for it myself. :D
But still knowing what to do and DOING it on my own was a completely different story!

Last edited:
Level 8
Finished this masterpiece recently, *sigh* I don't think I wanna replay that final boss fight again. (does it reallyy every move from him has a counter?)
I really liked the story, though I didn't read the manual before playing, probably my favourite Chapter was V
Did someone had troubles in VII while using Sera? gish that bitch who was she fighting made me load a lot of times
I love that every caracther has his own development through the story, nice touch in that
The spells are AWESOME and the items too, I loved that final, every caracther using every skill they have against Morg...whatever, anyway, idk why I've never tried this early, I've missed such a cool thing, thanks for sharing it

Level 3
I finished this campaign yesterday and I must say that it is a campaign both unique and nice. Only downsides I can think of are that first of all it is a bit short but considering it took 6 years to make it is understandable, and secondly it is HARD. Oh boy, at some points I really questioned myself if I am actually stupid that I'm missing stuff in the dialogues or something because it would take numerous loads to pass each chapter. I was relieved to see that it was meant to be that way. This level of difficulty is really not for me I guess.

Those parts that definitely deserve commends in my opinion are of course intro and epilogue. They are very fluent and beautiful. Music choices are also very fitting in general. What I liked the most, though, are the dialogues. No cringe, no repetition, no typos and stuff, no unnecessarily lengthy texts... Simply amazing.

Level 14
Finished this masterpiece recently, *sigh* I don't think I wanna replay that final boss fight again. (does it reallyy every move from him has a counter?)
I really liked the story, though I didn't read the manual before playing, probably my favourite Chapter was V
Did someone had troubles in VII while using Sera? gish that bitch who was she fighting made me load a lot of times
I love that every caracther has his own development through the story, nice touch in that
The spells are AWESOME and the items too, I loved that final, every caracther using every skill they have against Morg...whatever, anyway, idk why I've never tried this early, I've missed such a cool thing, thanks for sharing it

Thanks Yuefang.

Not every attack that Morganem has can be countered, but most of them can, especially the big ticket ones. There's a list of all of his abilities and what (if anything) you can do about them here: To the Bitter End Campaign - Hints VIII

The fight between Sera and Kathryn is one of the toughest in Chapter VII, but there are some things you can do to make it easier. Do as much direct damage as possible, as Kathryn has very low HP. Also use your long range (both standard attack and special attacks) to your advantage - keep the pits between you and Kathryn as much as possible, and fire Piercing Shot whenever you have a clear bead. You will not win going toe-to-toe with her, distance is a must. If you have nothing else to do and you're not about to activate a Rune (like when Kathryn is using her dash attack Ultimate, which renders her invulnerable) use Healing Touch on yourself - those little bits of HP might make a difference.

Thank you for the good feedback, congratulations on completing the campaign, and I'm very happy you enjoyed it!

I finished this campaign yesterday and I must say that it is a campaign both unique and nice. Only downsides I can think of are that first of all it is a bit short but considering it took 6 years to make it is understandable, and secondly it is HARD. Oh boy, at some points I really questioned myself if I am actually stupid that I'm missing stuff in the dialogues or something because it would take numerous loads to pass each chapter. I was relieved to see that it was meant to be that way. This level of difficulty is really not for me I guess.

Those parts that definitely deserve commends in my opinion are of course intro and epilogue. They are very fluent and beautiful. Music choices are also very fitting in general. What I liked the most, though, are the dialogues. No cringe, no repetition, no typos and stuff, no unnecessarily lengthy texts... Simply amazing.

I like to think that the campaign isn't really that short in a content sense - it's just that I've tried as much as possible to avoid filler to pad out the duration (ie, no level grinding or trying to collect 20 bear butts, with every bear having a 20% chance of actually having a butt).

You can actually make the game easier for yourself (though it will always be somewhat challenging) - hit Enter to bring up the chat window and type in "medium" or "easy" (without the quotation marks) and hit enter again. The default and intended difficulty is "hard" but those other difficulties were added in case people just weren't having any fun at all. Lower difficulties decrease the damage you take and increase the damage you do to enemies (by 25% for medium and 50% for easy). The setting should persist across Chapters until you use the command to change it again.

The intro and epilogue were some of the final things I made and they were pretty hard to pull off. Some of it isn't obvious, but for example having multiple different terrain types in a single map for the epilogue required some real sorcery to pull off, and ensuring exact timing between music and visuals was really challenging too. I'm very happy with how they turned out, so I'm glad you like them too!

And I really appreciate you letting me know that you enjoyed the dialogues - the characters in the game are dear to me so I wanted to do them justice. I'm glad I succeeded. :)

Level 8
Oh I forgot something, some chapter didn't have music idk if is intended or something's wrong
Those chapters were: 2, 3, 4 after escorting the troll and 7, I was playing at 1.30.4

Level 14
Oh I forgot something, some chapter didn't have music idk if is intended or something's wrong
Those chapters were: 2, 3, 4 after escorting the troll and 7, I was playing at 1.30.4

PROBABLY intentional. The music is typically used for dramatic effect so:
- Chapter II's music only starts up once you encounter your old friend
- Chapter III's music only starts up for the big boss fight
- Chapter IV's music only plays when you're being pressed by constant waves of enemies (when there is no music, there are no spawning waves of enemies)
- Chapter VII's music only plays during the big boss fights against the Warlords

If it didn't play AT ALL (and you didn't use the "music off" chat command or turn the sound effects volume down to 0) then something might be wrong. Can you confirm?

Level 8
PROBABLY intentional. The music is typically used for dramatic effect so:
- Chapter II's music only starts up once you encounter your old friend
- Chapter III's music only starts up for the big boss fight
- Chapter IV's music only plays when you're being pressed by constant waves of enemies (when there is no music, there are no spawning waves of enemies)
- Chapter VII's music only plays during the big boss fights against the Warlords

If it didn't play AT ALL (and you didn't use the "music off" chat command or turn the sound effects volume down to 0) then something might be wrong. Can you confirm?

-Chapter II is fine then.
-Chapter III the boss is the juggernaut right?No music there.
-Chapter IV is fine too.
-Chapter VII, when engaging the Warlords the music sounded only 2 seconds and then disappeared.

Level 14
I've seen others complain that music in maps is not playing. This seems to be some issue with the new version of Warcraft III.
You're right. There's a considerable amount of discussion relating to bugs in the 1.30 patches - apparently sounds have all sorts of problems now and it's unclear what exactly causes them.
[Feedback] Compiled List of Bugs & Issues for 1.30.1+

-Chapter II is fine then.
-Chapter III the boss is the juggernaut right?No music there.
-Chapter IV is fine too.
-Chapter VII, when engaging the Warlords the music sounded only 2 seconds and then disappeared.
Since this is an issue introduced in the latest Warcraft III patch, I'm not actually going to try and 'fix' this, as later patches may fix it for me (though I will look into how to work around these issues if no fix is forthcoming). However, in the meantime I recommend not playing with the latest patches, since they seem to have quite a few problems.

The latest confirmed one working 100% is 1.26a but to be honest I think anything up to 1.30 will probably work. Tommi Gustaffson has kindly shared a link to the 1.29.2 standalone files in this thread: [Need Help] Back to 1.29 , just look for his post/link.

EDIT: I've noticed a few weirdnesses with that version too, but most of it is managable:
1. You have to start he game using Warcraft III.exe, using the frozen throne .exe file will give you a storm.dll error
2. Campaign files (including To the Bitter End) have to be stored in "Documents/Warcraft III/Campaigns" (which doesn't exist by default, so you have to create it).
3. Because it supports widescreen, some of the cinematic effects I used don't look 100% right (ie, screens that used to be all black now show things in the corners that used to be obscured). No real gameplay effect but it's a bit annoying. If you can play it in a 4:3 resolution like originally intended it probably won't have that issue.

I might have to do a lot of re-testing to fix the issues created by the widescreen stuff.

Last edited:
Level 5
Hello there Soul Reaver. I love it, You Legend. So i started normal mode and i kept on thinking that i was playing normal ... but i just read that every new chapter starts as default on hard lvl ...hahahaha. So i was thinking to my self, god damn this is really tough in normal mode. I am so naive...
All praise has been given for this effort and every compliment paid is well deserved i recon. So there are few words to be said when something is great.
P.s. Btw I am still trying to kill nerub with Kitharsis.:vw_death:
It would be much appriciated if anyone can give me some hints as i got to this point playing on hard and i would like to finish it the same way. I use the skeletons summon, giving Kitharsis haste and offensive spells to nerub, that triggers some of his skills. I try to attack him after he does his thing like massive impale (it seems to have a wound effect that it makes my hero bleed to death) . Runed bracers act as an active item on him i think, which gives him spell immunity, so i attack when that is on cd. I also tried to have more runes with hit and run strategy but his regen is unbeliavable. So that seemed impossible. Thats all i got.
P.s.2 yes yes, i am reading the manual now XD
Hints were really helpful. I got through Kherex with 3rd attempt which i feel was pretty decent and in less time, i think it was 20 min but i am probably overexaggerating . I also got through with Fei with the 1st attempt as the combo you suggest worked like a charm. Every little detail is absolutely brilliant. I think you build this the way i make art. I am a sculptor/painter btw

Last edited:
Level 14
Firstly, thank you for your comments gil333 and UkyoKuonji, I really appreciate them. :)

Hello there Soul Reaver. I love it, You Legend. So i started normal mode and i kept on thinking that i was playing normal ... but i just read that every new chapter starts as default on hard lvl ...hahahaha. So i was thinking to my self, god damn this is really tough in normal mode. I am so naive...
All praise has been given for this effort and every compliment paid is well deserved i recon. So there are few words to be said when something is great.
P.s. Btw I am still trying to kill nerub with Kitharsis.:vw_death:
It would be much appriciated if anyone can give me some hints as i got to this point playing on hard and i would like to finish it the same way. I use the skeletons summon, giving Kitharsis haste and offensive spells to nerub, that triggers some of his skills. I try to attack him after he does his thing like massive impale (it seems to have a wound effect that it makes my hero bleed to death) . Runed bracers act as an active item on him i think, which gives him spell immunity, so i attack when that is on cd. I also tried to have more runes with hit and run strategy but his regen is unbeliavable. So that seemed impossible. Thats all i got.
P.s.2 yes yes, i am reading the manual now XD
Hints were really helpful. I got through Kherex with 3rd attempt which i feel was pretty decent and in less time, i think it was 20 min but i am probably overexaggerating . I also got through with Fei with the 1st attempt as the combo you suggest worked like a charm. Every little detail is absolutely brilliant. I think you build this the way i make art. I am a sculptor/painter btw

Yes, I would have suggested checking the hints page if you were getting stuck, seems you've found it now.

The game IS possible on Hard, but it's, well, very hard. I have a personal preference for really difficult games because of the satisfaction I get when I do finally beat a particularly overwhelming challenge. But I added the other difficulty options later in case people found it a bit too insurmountable and lost patience and thus missed out on the game.

By the way, this comment really touched me:
I think you build this the way i make art.

To the Bitter End is a labour of love and poured a lot of myself into it. I'm really touched that someone else can see that and considers it not just as mechanics but as a creative endeavour, because fundamentally that's what I felt like I was making.
Would love to see some of your work by the way, do you have a website?

Oh, and: good luck with Chapter VIII!

Last edited:
Level 5
Firstly, thank you for your comments gil333 and UkyoKuonji, I really appreciate them. :)

Yes, I would have suggested checking the hints page if you were getting stuck, seems you've found it now.

The game IS possible on Hard, but it's, well, very hard. I have a personal preference for really difficult games because of the satisfaction I get when I do finally beat a particularly overwhelming challenge. But I added the other difficulty options later in case people found it a bit too insurmountable and lost patience and thus missed out on the game.

By the way, this comment really touched me:

To the Bitter End is a labour of love and poured a lot of myself into it. I'm really touched that someone else can see that and considers it not just as mechanics but as art, because fundamentally that's what I'm trying to make.
Would love to see some of your work by the way, do you have a website?

Oh, and: good luck with Chapter VIII!

Ha. I am currently watching your video on youtube with the tutorial.
Goddamn really a lot going on. I really enjoyed it though. I ll play on when i have the time...
My comment on your work is honest.

So my work has nothing to do with fantasy related staff.
I do contemporary art.
If you are still interested just out of curiosity i can send you a link in email or something.
I dont want to post art in this forum.

Level 3
Hello! Soul Reaver! I had finally complete To The Bitter End Saga and yeah! is so freaking epic!! The Morganem final boss I complete was surprising the first try without fail attempt, thanks hint (especially on Youtube) and yeah I trick using slow gameplay to make easy, especially the Void Child to clear.

Also, the clear note I play Warcraft III latest version (Jun 5, 2019) it might gonna expect some bug, but only minor like music does not trigger

In Chapter III: When I collected some acorns, the tree army and druids (including my three companions) attack on Juggernaut that music does not trigger.
In Chapter VII: The five companions fight each The Council of Six, minus Morganem. The music triggers cinematics on a battle, but its music stops when I move on the entrance behind the gate, even Soul Reaver vs Maelstrom too.
In Chapter VIII: When Morganem once goes 1% health it triggers Apocalypse, but it does not trigger the channeling I guess I stun him hard.

Anyways! 5/5 Campaign.

Level 14
Hello! Soul Reaver! I had finally complete To The Bitter End Saga and yeah! is so freaking epic!! The Morganem final boss I complete was surprising the first try without fail attempt, thanks hint (especially on Youtube) and yeah I trick using slow gameplay to make easy, especially the Void Child to clear.

Also, the clear note I play Warcraft III latest version (Jun 5, 2019) it might gonna expect some bug, but only minor like music does not trigger

In Chapter III: When I collected some acorns, the tree army and druids (including my three companions) attack on Juggernaut that music does not trigger.
In Chapter VII: The five companions fight each The Council of Six, minus Morganem. The music triggers cinematics on a battle, but its music stops when I move on the entrance behind the gate, even Soul Reaver vs Maelstrom too.
In Chapter VIII: When Morganem once goes 1% health it triggers Apocalypse, but it does not trigger the channeling I guess I stun him hard.

Anyways! 5/5 Campaign.

Thank you Meilstoer. Congratulations on completing the campaign, and I'm impressed that you managed to beat the final boss on your first try, that's no small feat!

I'm aware of the issue with the music. You're right in thinking it's been caused by the latest patches to Warcraft 3 - it got introduced a few patches back - and it affects other maps as well. I'm not 100% sure as to the cause or what I can do about it though. I had hoped that subsequent patches might address the problem but I'm not convinced that's going to happen now. If I can find a solution to it I'll release a newer version of the campaign.

Level 1
it was hard as hell, so i had to cheat to not get hit by morganem's crazy shots, and Soul reaver, please nerf his health, its hard as frick.
Anyways this was a good map aka the part V/5 reunion's defense, i was spamming cheats too lol.
i enjoyed playing this

Level 14
it was hard as hell, so i had to cheat to not get hit by morganem's crazy shots, and Soul reaver, please nerf his health, its hard as frick.
Anyways this was a good map aka the part V/5 reunion's defense, i was spamming cheats too lol.
i enjoyed playing this

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!
If you're finding it tough, before resorting to cheats, did you try lowering the difficulty? You can do that by pressing 'enter' to bring up the in-game chat, then typing "easy" or "medium" (without quotation marks), then hitting enter again.

The default (and intended play experience) is "hard" but those difficulties are an alternative to cheating - they'll decrease the damage you take and increase the damage you do. It'll still be hard, but noticeably less so!

Level 7
Love it thnx.Best part was that you got 5 heroes and you can understand every single one of them +rep 10/10