• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The religious debate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
All the fun threads get locked because they sidetrack into religious debate, so let's make a thread for religious debate, where religious debate is entirely on-topic.

Turn back if your feelings are easily hurt when someone questions your world view.

I'll start: god doesn't exist.

You should not ask why something does not exist, because there are billions and billions and endless billions of things that do not exist, to answer that question for everything that doesn't exist is undoable and pointless.

So you should ask why someone believes something does exist, then scrutinize their theories, that is the start. You're asking the wrong person why, eubz.

there is a low chance that the creator of the universe is an old bearded caucasian-appearing male. there's nothing wrong with spirituality, there's nothing wrong with filling in the existential void within the unprovable aspects of the human condition, there's nothing wrong in seeking purpose. but it gets wrong when spirituality is used as a facade for storytelling, it gets wrong when storytelling starts to distort facts and corrupt perceptions, it gets wrong when storytelling starts wars. religion, as it is currently, is nothing but storytelling. a truly spiritual person does not need to believe that this god guy had a son who magically rose to life 3 days after and then easter bunnies and stuff.

another thing, the question of 'why' is inherently biased, because its mere connotation assumes that there must be a purpose, an intelligent thought behind a decision, without proving there must be a purpose. it's like asking "who killed my dog"; the question automatically assumes a person did it whilst not necessarily proving that assumption to be true. 'how'' is a much more neutral and less rhetorical word. as for "how god doesn't exist", well i'll let someone else step in for that

Level 7
In my opinion it is only logical that humans seek understanding from a higher being and I respect their beliefs be it Muslim,Christian,Atheist,Paganist or having the cookie monster as his God.On the other hand religion has commited atrocities(The hunt of the Christians by the Romans,Crusades,Jihads etc) that are unacceptable.I can't stand people who want to force their religion on other people throats and telling me what I should do/listen to etc.Everyone has a right to believe in what they want as long as they do not at the expense of othe people.

Level 5
Let me rephrase: god's existence hasn't been proven so there's no basis for believing in it.
Yet, it has not be disproved.

there is a low chance that the creator of the universe is an old bearded caucasian-appearing male. there's nothing wrong with spirituality, there's nothing wrong with filling in the existential void within the unprovable aspects of the human condition, there's nothing wrong in seeking purpose. but it gets wrong when spirituality is used as a facade for storytelling, it gets wrong when storytelling starts to distort facts and corrupt perceptions, it gets wrong when storytelling starts wars. religion, as it is currently, is nothing but storytelling. a truly spiritual person does not need to believe that this god guy had a son who magically rose to life 3 days after and then easter bunnies and stuff.

another thing, the question of 'why' is inherently biased, because its mere connotation assumes that there must be a purpose, an intelligent thought behind a decision, without proving there must be a purpose. it's like asking "who killed my dog"; the question automatically assumes a person did it whilst not necessarily proving that assumption to be true. 'how'' is a much more neutral and less rhetorical word. as for "how god doesn't exist", well i'll let someone else step in for that

Well said. I don't think that any religious book should be taken as a fact, but as a mere stories, where each one has its own moral lesson. For example, story when Jesus walks on water isn't about some miracle, but about reaching some goal, without doubt in yourself. At least that's how i see it.

Level 30
All the religious threads get locked because they sidetrack[harrass] into religious debate

attachment.php

And you still don't realize why we lock'em joints.

Level 5
Yes, and you just failed, as ghostwolf pointed out.
So I guess every fantasy book is reality, because it hasn't been disproved...

Again:
I don't think that any religious book should be taken as a fact, but as a mere stories...

I didn't talk about religious/fantasy books, but about God, and proving and disproving the existence depend on whether you believe or not, so it's pointless.

Level 14
Yet, it has not be disproved.

Burden of proof.

Well said. I don't think that any religious book should be taken as a fact, but as a mere stories, where each one has its own moral lesson.

Moral lesson my ass. Have you read the bible? Did you know that according to the bible, the god once killed everyone on the planet except few people, and then repopulated it through incest?

There is only one thing you need to make any non-believer very angry with you:
Claim that evolution is a belief too.

Why is that so?
Because they have been taught different things for far too long.

Will people ever understand that both creationism and evolution are beliefs?
Most probably not.

Will they ever understand that both can be true?
For some christians, they already know it, but the majority of non-believers don't. They stick to the evolution because it's the only thing left to believe if you remove creationism. Well some wont believe any of it, but that puts them out of the equasion.

To sum it all up:
It's hard to have a real debate nowadays. People become crazy, take it personal and act like you said that you gonna kill them. Read this post for example. Never was I trying to harm anyone. People just make things up to blame someone for something whenever they feel like.

How do I know all of this?
Life experience.

Level 11
6715_10151498790884044_1378291243_n.jpg

Interestingly most of the tribes have no concept of Heaven and Hell.
We are all part of the great spirit, they said. Once we leave this realm of existence we go and mingle with the great spirit. The great spirit or 'Star Dust' as we would like to call it today in modern words :)

Knowing this is enough for me.

Level 23
religion is responsible for all wars and if religion did not exist we would be 1000 years more advanced religion does give idiots more reasons for quarrels

I would say the Country with star and lines in their national flag started more wars for oil than religion, but yes I agree with the 1000 years(basically, the whole middle age(I believe its called in english))

There is only one thing you need to make any non-believer very angry with you:
Claim that evolution is a belief too.

Why is that so?
Because they have been taught different things for far too long.

Will people ever understand that both creationism and evolution are beliefs?
Most probably not.

Will they ever understand that both can be true?
For some christians, they already know it, but the majority of non-believers don't. They stick to the evolution because it's the only thing left to believe if you remove creationism. Well some wont believe any of it, but that puts them out of the equasion.

To sum it all up:
It's hard to have a real debate nowadays. People become crazy, take it personal and act like you said that you gonna kill them. Read this post for example. Never was I trying to harm anyone. People just make things up to blame someone for something whenever they feel like.

How do I know all of this?
Life experience.

You know why people are pissed at you? Because you go to their VM and spread shit like: "Why do you listen to satanic music?" or "Why do you participate in satanic holiday".

Its totally your thing to believe in what you believe, but you just come here trying to make people feel they are doing something bad or just convert them, and this is just as bad as Jehovah's Witnesses, but you dont knock on my door, you just go straight to my VM page and spread shit about satan because people do something different than your ultimate view on everything

Status
Not open for further replies.