• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

The Idealists Challenge #2 "Mythical Creatures"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Okay, good to hear.

And I take the WiP stance back, people could nicely make backward WiPs before submitting their entry.

Like you did. I had to take away your anonymity for that.
You didn't inform me or send a WIP of the new hero.

You and @Templassassin think alike.

Level 7
can anyone see my hero's lore!??

EDIT : NOOOO i put the lore! Why is it invisible to you??!
aw man i've created that lore with all day brainstorming.... :(((
how will you know that 'queen blessing' stuff if im not telling you the lore.
Now i cannot win...

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

can anyone see my hero's lore!??

EDIT : NOOOO i put the lore! Why is it invisible to you??!
aw man i've created that lore with all day brainstorming.... :(((
Now i cannot win...

No you didn't.
You gave me a final work without any lore.
Don't try to fool them that its somehow my mistake.

And I am not allowed to vote? :p

You can't have all the cake to yourself.
The poll is the only way for users to get some % into the score.

Your voice already counts for 75% of the score.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Technically it's only 75% / 2 D:

Either way, I don't exactly care, but it would be a waste if I was allowed to vote but I didn't.

How will you know that 'queen blessing' stuff if im not telling you the lore.
To be honest that wasn't the only thing that wasn't explained in your entry. However I didn't complain about the -queens name's blessing- specifically when I did my review on your entry.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

No no! Maybe it's broken or something... i'm not lie!
just give me 0 :((

Then you gave me some earlier version of it and
not the final one you wanted. Idk.

Technically it's only 75% / 2 D:

Either way, I am don't exactly care, but it would be a waste if I was allowed to vote but I didn't.

Vote for fun. I will only count the 12 participants votes.

Level 7
@Chaosy
Wait, my pictures of my entry is in my album and and the album is private. But why everyone can see it?
@Chaosy
A sexy model huh? Hmm search in tf3dm.com you will find a naked girl model.
Or not that kind of model :>
@Templaasassin
I'm sorry about your entry :(

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Partly because I wanted it to be submitted last minute. D: And there were many phases, first it was a lion, then a boar, then a manticore, a scorpion, then finally this.

Wasn't your first hero idea "Groot" enough? :p (PUNNED!)

You should be allowed to add it in that case, since there's proof that he did it before the deadline.

EDIT:

I rechecked Templassassin codes and there are img files being used but not shown.

Okay, fix the privacy issue and if it doesn't work send me new bbcodes I'll reupload it.
Though just saying this is again your mistake.

And judges, if you have made a score for Breken Vile Fiend you will have to redo it because I've made some upload errors
and the entry had multiple errors. Its mainly UI stuff, but its still my mistake.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

So just to confirm (since I've seen two different things): Do we need to post a WIP or not? My entry is near (~1/2?) done, & I'd like to avoid disqualification for something silly like that.

Are we talking about this contest, because I stopped taking new entries 5 days ago and the contest is nearly over.

If you're talking for the next one then idk. These are my impressions on what can be changed to make the contest both better for contestants and the host/judges. All of this is IMO from one experience being a host:

sentrywiz's improved? rules:

1. contestants will use the template given by the contest
(to avoid some users having better graphical skills than others)

2. contestants are added into the list when they present a WIP
(along with some message hi idk i wanna join bla bla here is my wip)

3. users are given 3 WIP uploads (max) after that only final work is accepted
(three WIPs per contest is enough. you can even change the WIP *read below)

4. atleast 1 WIP must be given (in total) No final work is ever accepted without a WIP
(so that people can't copy paste some hero from somewhere and say hey here is my final work. no)

5. the WIP must be shown at least 5 days on the main thread
(prevents flooding the gates in the last week of the contest. read rule 6)

6. no new WIP's or contestants when contest reaches 80% of its duration
(roughly the last 5 days of the month if the contest lasts one month)

7. rushed or incomplete final works WILL receive less score
(IC #1 was horrible for grammar and I dislike any idea without spellcheck if your english isn't good enough.
For *insert random idol god demigod here*'s sake, its free and it takes a couple of seconds)

8. if you have changed more than 50% of your current WIP AND/OR you wish to change your WIP you will:
a) Inquire from the host if its already too late (rule 6)
b) If its not too late and you have your WIP count (rule 3) then a new WIP is uploaded instead of your old one
(this happened twice in the contest and when going for anonymity it makes my job harder. It looks like I'm taking
new entries when I didn't and it looks like the whole "i can copy a hero and post it" works. I vote that if this happens
the host has every right to disqualify that person from the contest)

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
all of those suggested rules are just there because we're using the anonymous system. The poll in the other thread is 6-5 in favor of removing it. (it's actually the other way around but someone voted wrong. Check comments for confirmation on that)

If it wasn't for the fact that you have to update every contestant's entry yourself manually we wouldn't need those limitations.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Are we talking about this contest, because I stopped taking new entries 5 days ago and the contest is nearly over.
See, that's precisely what I'm talking about. That's a problem. See below:

sentrywiz said:
If you're talking for the next one then idk. These are my impressions on what can be changed to make the contest both better for contestants and the host/judges. All of this is IMO from one experience being a host:

sentrywiz's improved? rules:

1. contestants will use the template given by the contest
(to avoid some users having better graphical skills than others)

This isn't a bad idea. Helps for standardization; much like the Hero Contests contestants being given the same map to work from; it levels the playing field & ensures people are being judged on what matters; their entry.

sentrywiz said:
2. contestants are added into the list when they present a WIP
(along with some message hi idk i wanna join bla bla here is my wip)
Sure, don't bother putting people on any "list" until they've actually shown physical progress. I did the opposite as Host of the Modeling Contest #25, and GOSH it was a killer. It's fun, once, (especially the silly phrases for each WIP), but it was waaaay too much work, too labor-intensive.

sentrywiz said:
3. users are given 3 WIP uploads (max) after that only final work is accepted
(three WIPs per contest is enough. you can even change the WIP *read below)
Umm... I don't see why. See the above; the Host shouldn't feel obligated to put every WIP up there with a link. (This may be more pertinent for, say, a Modeling or other artistic Contest, but) if people want to show off a variety of aspects to their entry, who are we to stop them? More WIPs = More thread traffic ~= More excitement. That's a good thing. Bad rule.

sentrywiz said:
4. atleast 1 WIP must be given (in total) No final work is ever accepted without a WIP
(so that people can't copy paste some hero from somewhere and say hey here is my final work. no)
Of course. This is a standard of Contests across the web, and it's the entire reason (well, more than half) we have WIPs in the first place. Just needed to prove authenticity & such.

sentrywiz said:
7. rushed or incomplete final works WILL receive less score
(IC #1 was horrible for grammar and I dislike any idea without spellcheck if your english isn't good enough.
For *insert random idol god demigod here*'s sake, its free and it takes a couple of seconds)
Sure, sure. Though to be fair, the Host doesn't do anything about that; that's all up to the Judges & the Voters. However, voters will (hopefully) naturally weed out poorly-written entries, and any good Contest will provide the Judges with appropriate Criteria to cause a loss of points (something like "polish" or "presentation" or "aesthetics" or whatever).
Again, this isn't so much a "rule" as it is a "fact of life". Rather than publishing it as a Rule, just make sure it's in the Criteria.

sentrywiz said:
8. if you have changed more than 50% of your current WIP AND/OR you wish to change your WIP you will:
a) Inquire from the host if its already too late (rule 6)
b) If its not too late and you have your WIP count (rule 3) then a new WIP is uploaded instead of your old one
(this happened twice in the contest and when going for anonymity it makes my job harder. It looks like I'm taking
new entries when I didn't and it looks like the whole "i can copy a hero and post it" works. I vote that if this happens
the host has every right to disqualify that person from the contest)
This is... Just more work, more overhead. I'm really torn on anonymity (really good for some Contests, really hard/dumb for others), but in this situation, simply have the whole process be streamlined by avoiding the public-display bit. If people change, that's their prerogative; just let them know they need a WIP & they can send it to you. Just have it all happen 'behind the scenes', and you don't need to worry about Rule 3 or B). Rule a) below.

sentrywiz said:
5. the WIP must be shown at least 5 days on the main thread
(prevents flooding the gates in the last week of the contest. read rule 6)

6. no new WIP's or contestants when contest reaches 80% of its duration
(roughly the last 5 days of the month if the contest lasts one month)
(The big one(s))
These two are absolutely ridiculous. It punishes the entrant and, so far as I can tell, does nothing for the Host. What is this meant to address or accomplish? Many people (myself included) often tend to get much of our work done in that final week. For those entrants who suffer some great IRL challenge (hard drive failure, death in family, forced military service, injury or disease), this is unnecessary punishment. Putting aside emergencies or extenuating circumstances, it's bad time management, but it happens.

Like I said earlier, what does it benefit anyone?? The few who have put forward entries? No, if you enact a rule like this, you might as well end the Contest early as well; the Contest is about entries, and putting a premature end to entries is putting a premature end to the Contest.

The Hive is not so stringent and rushed an atmosphere that we need to 'freak out' if a bunch of people submit at the last possible second. We've all got lives; take your time to gather up the entries as necessary and be thankful that more people wanted to try & contribute. I know I was, in those same circumstances (both as a Host & as an entrant).

Case in point, I've got a nearly-finished entry all (nearly) ready to go, and I'd love to support this Contest & test my mettle by submitting. I have a WIP all ready to go... But are you telling me you don't want more entrants?? Don't feel obligated to edit me into the first post or any nonsense like that; just file me away somewhere.

all of those suggested rules are just there because we're using the anonymous system. The poll in the other thread is 6-5 in favor of removing it. (it's actually the other way around but someone voted wrong. Check comments for confirmation on that)

If it wasn't for the fact that you have to update every contestant's entry yourself manually we wouldn't need those limitations.
This. See the aforementioned. Sentrywiz, I believe you are making this too hard on yourself. Trust me, I've Hosted a few Contests by now; it wasn't meant to be this way. : )

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

See, that's precisely what I'm talking about. That's a problem. See below:

This isn't a bad idea. Helps for standardization; much like the Hero Contests contestants being given the same map to work from; it levels the playing field & ensures people are being judged on what matters; their entry.

Sure, don't bother putting people on any "list" until they've actually shown physical progress. I did the opposite as Host of the Modeling Contest #25, and GOSH it was a killer. It's fun, once, (especially the silly phrases for each WIP), but it was waaaay too much work, too labor-intensive.

Umm... I don't see why. See the above; the Host shouldn't feel obligated to put every WIP up there with a link. (This may be more pertinent for, say, a Modeling or other artistic Contest, but) if people want to show off a variety of aspects to their entry, who are we to stop them? More WIPs = More thread traffic ~= More excitement. That's a good thing. Bad rule.

Of course. This is a standard of Contests across the web, and it's the entire reason (well, more than half) we have WIPs in the first place. Just needed to prove authenticity & such.

Sure, sure. Though to be fair, the Host doesn't do anything about that; that's all up to the Judges & the Voters. However, voters will (hopefully) naturally weed out poorly-written entries, and any good Contest will provide the Judges with appropriate Criteria to cause a loss of points (something like "polish" or "presentation" or "aesthetics" or whatever).
Again, this isn't so much a "rule" as it is a "fact of life". Rather than publishing it as a Rule, just make sure it's in the Criteria.

This is... Just more work, more overhead. I'm really torn on anonymity (really good for some Contests, really hard/dumb for others), but in this situation, simply have the whole process be streamlined by avoiding the public-display bit. If people change, that's their prerogative; just let them know they need a WIP & they can send it to you. Just have it all happen 'behind the scenes', and you don't need to worry about Rule 3 or B). Rule a) below.

(The big one(s))
These two are absolutely ridiculous. It punishes the entrant and, so far as I can tell, does nothing for the Host. What is this meant to address or accomplish? Many people (myself included) often tend to get much of our work done in that final week. For those entrants who suffer some great IRL challenge (hard drive failure, death in family, forced military service, injury or disease), this is unnecessary punishment. Putting aside emergencies or extenuating circumstances, it's bad time management, but it happens.

Like I said earlier, what does it benefit anyone?? The few who have put forward entries? No, if you enact a rule like this, you might as well end the Contest early as well; the Contest is about entries, and putting a premature end to entries is putting a premature end to the Contest.

The Hive is not so stringent and rushed an atmosphere that we need to 'freak out' if a bunch of people submit at the last possible second. We've all got lives; take your time to gather up the entries as necessary and be thankful that more people wanted to try & contribute. I know I was, in those same circumstances (both as a Host & as an entrant).

Case in point, I've got a nearly-finished entry all (nearly) ready to go, and I'd love to support this Contest & test my mettle by submitting. I have a WIP all ready to go... But are you telling me you don't want more entrants?? Don't feel obligated to edit me into the first post or any nonsense like that; just file me away somewhere.

This. See the aforementioned. Sentrywiz, I believe you are making this too hard on yourself. Trust me, I've Hosted a few Contests by now; it wasn't meant to be this way. : )

That Steve Moran link really hit the nail.

Okay, I do agree that @Chaosy has a point, the anonymity thing is bollocks if you have judges that you trust won't put the participant before their own perspective on the respective entry. However idk the judges that well or any of the participants. That's why the ruleset needs to be more harsh and strict so that we all fall in line. If we all trust each other that nobody would try to cheat their way into earning some easy rep, I'd have 90% less work to do as a host because I'd just allow pretty much everything. Maybe I'm taking all of this waaaaay too seriously and need to chill.

If you lose a family member, the last thing you will care about is some random contest on a random forum made by and for random people that somehow co-exist in that random place. You're using hard terms like death, stress, real-life as a crutch to support your victim theory. And I just don't buy it. There are no excuses for not doing something other than that you don't have enough motivation. If you want something so badly, trust me you will find a way to get or replace it.

It benefits the host. But maybe like I said I'm taking this way too seriously and I need to lighten up about it. Still I took responsibility for this contest when nobody wanted to so now I get to press the buttons (for now). I don't claim to be a great host nor do I try to. But for the sake of what this contest is, to enact some semblance of fairness, anonymity and justification I will stick to my guns until IC #2 is done and rep is given accordingly. After that, we can discuss anything about the rules and I won't have a problem to uphold them in the next contest, given that I host it again.

For now though, no. I cannot accept your final work let alone your WIP that looks badly rushed.
I understand your logic though and I commend you trying to squeeze in in the last second.

Sorry but you had all the time in the world and just chose to do it in the deadline time.
That doesn't stick well with my rules. For now its my contest and I make the rules.

You can criticize my rules or me all you want. I don't accept new participants and new WIP's, not now
or 5 days ago when I said I didn't. Like I said above, after this contest ends we can talk about changing
the rules with the community. If all agree, I'm fine. For now, its like this.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
360xda.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.