• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Techtree Contest #5 - Innovation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
votes based off of ass-thetics or gay-play?

models look impressive, hopefully the gameplay will be just as impressive ;)

incidentally, you still have till september to edit your race anyway you want, do not forget this

which reminds me, i should probably do some stuff on my race and junk

still need 2 more hero concepts, if indeed i can be bothered making 4

Level 9
I may or may not finish my race in time.

Concept-elementals! Now with unit screenshot (WIP?)

No, the names are right, except incinerator, that's a mix up.
Picture link, cuz upload seems not to work:
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4018/armyer.png
Minor edit note-out of me considering again how things look the Rocker/Smoker got larger, while the Blazer got smaller. But no point uploading a new picture over that.
New edit note: Coral Knight replaced with Frostling, a true tier 3 caster. (and perhaps the highest potential unit in WC3 so far, despite being fair in relatively easy to kill for a tier 3.)

Neutral:
Spirit-worker unit.

Water:
Waterguard-Tier 1 support caster, can be upgraded to Coastguard (tier 2) to improve HP and armor. also amphibious, not doing much on THIS map, but as it is an army it might matter in other theoretical maps.
Sludger-Tier 2 disturbance caster, can be upgraded to Slugger (tier 3) to gain new abilities.
Frostling-Tier 3 combat caster, true elite unit, capable of casting Frost Shard and Avalanche.

Earth:
Stoner-Tier 1 basic melee unit.
Rocker-Tier 2 heavy melee unit, can be upgraded to Smoker (tier 3) to gain permanent immolation, and attack bonuses.

Fire:
Blazer-Tier 1 ranged unit.
Incinerator-Tier 2 siege unit, can research flight to allow air form (air form cant attack, but much faster.)

Air:
Stinger-Tier 1 scout/anti-air unit. (ground unit melee at air units, that's a new one right?)
Shadowind-Tier 2 skrimish-type air unit.

Unique upgrade style:
In this army, upgrades to units are not gained from the same element that makes them, instead Air upgrades Fire, who upgrades Earth, who upgrades Water, who upgrades Air.
Generic upgrades are still being managed by non-elemental structures.

Last edited:
Level 26
just got an idea for a race, but I don't think that I could finish it in time anyways, because it would require quite a few models to be created and I cannot finsih 1 model 1 2 weeks :D

instead I'll just follow the contest for its last 2 weeks and wish everybody good luck.

Oh and I really like your race Dio, but the transforming seems a bit imbalanced as the units just require the upgrade but dont require any gld or lumber besides the phaseling one :/ and you could also need a ranged hero :p

Level 6
It's great to see the exponential amount of people joining the contest since I last had a look.. which was whenever I last posted. :/
Anyhoo, just wanted to say yes this is Skycraft I just got a name change.
And I'm still working on the high elves with my great innovative units.

And for my progress..
I've just finished with the upgrades and working on the actual abilities now.
:3

they look more like blood elves actually

Level 17
Blood Elves are a faction of High Elves. :3
They just split off to get magic.

Not really much different.
Unless of course, my intellect proves to me once again that I am in fact an idiot.
I don't really look that much into the lore.

Level 6
You sir got my vote, looks very good. Remember to upload the models after :eek:

try it ingame, screenshots mean nothing. There are absolutely no triggered spells in the map. The race wouldn't be good without the custom models IMO.

MADAWC, there is a graphical modification between them, high elven main colors are white and blue. While blood elven colors are red and gold. High elves use arcane magic, blood elves demonic magic.

Last edited:
Level 17
Yes and there is a graphical modification between skeletons and zombies.
Skeletons have no skin, zombies have rotted skin and yet they both fit in the same race.
So there is no reason why I cannot have both.

Level 9
Point goes to Madawc.

Anyway, slight rules question:
You said the "four melee races" cannot be edited, what about units outside of them?

For example, am I allowed to remove the Firelord from the tavern (obvious reasons, I want to use him as the fire hero, heavly modified to fit a new role, new mechanics, new abilities and new attributes, but I still plan on using both him and the lava spawn, so having a firelord tavern hero and a firelord elemental hero both could be retarding...)

Level 9
I'm not dealing with existing units, but with the models of existing units.

My version of the Firelord is completely different (his "class" is actually "Phoenix", not "Firelord", problem is having both a "Phoenix" and a "Firelord", especially for the same player (or even if it's just questionable who of them you got) is HIGHLY problametic for me, because:
A-they both look the same.
B-they both use the "Lava Spawn" model with an ability (although the Phoenix uses it for what is probably the most fucked-up ulti ever, but you get the problem.)

Level 35
yea you'd be allowed to use those models, definitely
in fact, i do believe that the models of the 4 melee races would be allowed, persay, just not the unit themselves (which would kind of make the models pointless for use anyway, especially seeing as how we're allowed to import any amount of units as it is)

Level 9
You missed my point, I didn't ask if I can USE him (that's obvious that I can), I asked if I can remove the ORIGINAL firelord off the tavern, to avoid the situation of 2 "firelords"

Anyway, I just figured what will be the hardest-I'll probably have to set the entire sound interface to work by triggers as nothing in existence fits...

EDIT:
Dionesiist: I have looked at you WIP, and I must say I am very disappointed.
It starts out so GREAT, then crumbles into nothingness.

The good sides:
-really innovative unit construction style
-fun theme and fun to play with
-great look for most units

The bad sides: (and fix ideas)
-overpowering in responsiveness and cheap costs for high-end units (make transformation take longer, and have an actual cost...)
-takes a long time before you can build the lowliest tier 1 army. (reduce research cost/time for the tier 1 units.)
-you loose your own theme at lategame (make EVEYTHING upgrade, the phasebat can be upgrade of familiar, the collosai an alternate upgrade for hellgrooler)
-the heros are very, very poor. (scrap them, sure you can do better then that! heck the unborn barely helps in any way even after going ulti, and the paragon is a mix-and-match of other hero's abilities, all mana intensive, and no passives on a low int hero!)

Last edited:
Level 6
Yes and there is a graphical modification between skeletons and zombies.
Skeletons have no skin, zombies have rotted skin and yet they both fit in the same race.
So there is no reason why I cannot have both.

that's like saying that because high elves and night elves are both elves, they fit in the same race. I'm just doing this to get your race title clear, I'm not a troll.

Level 38
@ MADAWC & ashbringer753: The only difference between high elves and blood elves really is that blood elves have green eyes instead of blue ones because they gain their magical powers from demons and fel energy rather than the sun well.
The problem could easily be circumvented by simply calling them "elves" and ignoring wc3 lore altogether, which is basically what I'm doing. Or by placing some random prefix in front of them, like moon elves or forest elves.

@ boomwolf: I don't recall a Tavern even being in the contest map. But if I understand your question correctly, don't mess with any non-custom units, leave them were they are; so leave the fire lord in the tavern. Using the model of and icon of the firelord for a new custom unit is fine, as it's a new unit. If you're worried about it looking redundant to existing wc3 content you could always make your own screenshot icon for the firelord and lava spawn (painfully easy to do). I know Cloudwolf did a pretty cool skin for the firelord as well, which you could use to further differentiate your custom hero to the wc3 one (and I'm pretty sure it has an icon as well).

Level 9
@ boomwolf: I don't recall a Tavern even being in the contest map. But if I understand your question correctly, don't mess with any non-custom units, leave them were they are; so leave the fire lord in the tavern. Using the model of and icon of the firelord for a new custom unit is fine, as it's a new unit. If you're worried about it looking redundant to existing wc3 content you could always make your own screenshot icon for the firelord and lava spawn (painfully easy to do). I know Cloudwolf did a pretty cool skin for the firelord as well, which you could use to further differentiate your custom hero to the wc3 one (and I'm pretty sure it has an icon as well).

Dumb me...took random building into consideration and didn't even check what the options are....apparently there is no chance for a tavern...silly me...

Level 3
All the ideas I read until now sound great, so I decided to give it a try and join in with a Troll race. Or at least that's the plan. I'm not sure if I can finish it in time since I'm working on something else as well. But we'll see.
I started work yesterday so there is a lot to do yet but here are some picks. Well it isn't much yet but I'm working on it and hopefully I'll soon come up with some funny ideas for this race.

Attachments

• Trolls.png
    Trolls.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 173
  • Trolls 2.png
    Trolls 2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 163
Level 7
a little update on my race
[hidden="A list of units with a brief description]
Confessed
a basic worker unit
Da'haren Foot Soldiers
the back bone of your army they gain strength through numbers.
Midlands Ranger
a very strong and fast infantry switches to melee form when the enemy gets to close.
there are two forms of this unit that you get archer/swordsmen and Javelin/Axemen
Mord-Sith
are a power full melee anti mage unit and incredibly effective against a single target
do to their Agil
Confessor
are a power full melee spell caster with three spells
Confession
turns a unit to your side until the confessor dies, confessed unit will always
stay close to the one who confessed them.
Justice
units under the effect of Justice have increased damage and will deal 12% of
their max Hp to all enemy units within 250 AoE when they die
Rage
Increases the AttackSpeed of the confessor and all of the units she has
confessed
Wizard
Sister of the Light
Da'haren WarMachine[/Hidden]

Level 6
The midlands ranger concept might not be useful, as the race already have a tier 2 melee unit(mord-sith)

Confessor: melee spellcasters are fail IMO, they die way too fast, his confession ability might be too strong for his first ability, and make sure it doesn't work on resistant skin units or units above level 5.

Also can you remind me what's the concept of the race( not that it's not clear, but I'm too lazy to check all the pages before this one).

Level 7
yep, i also start to work on my project again... it looks like i can finish it in time, though im really busy at the moment :ogre_hurrhurr: (nerubian race)

what is really hard for me is to choose costs for everything... and damage/hp values... im not very good at balancing :vw_sad:

Level 7
the unit balancer isn't that helpful, all it does is compare dps, health, armor, regen... it doesn't help at all for balancing spellcasters.

the best way to balance is to play with a friend who beats you normally and if you can beat him your race is OP.
and then you just need to reduce how good the unit you used the most is and try it again.

Last edited:
Level 2
I think I'll try this, a bit late start but I think that I can make a sucsessful Demon Race.
EDIT
I dont think I have the time to finish it. I have run into multiple bugs and decided to work on my custom map instead.

Last edited:
Level 9
Why is everyone into demons? its been done to death folks, please TRY something new...

ashbringer753-I think you will change your mind after you see my tier 3 caster "Freezer" in action. he is perhaps the most extreme definition of a glass cannon...

Level 35
i would like to point out i was the original demon techtree creator for THIS contest
then dionesiist appeared with a unique concept as well

but a THIRD person? well, just as long as it's not implementing MY ideas, i suppose

had a bit of modders block for quite some time, but am trying to come up with new ideas/concepts for my race's finer points. then comes the balance. yayyyyyy.

Level 9
i would like to point out i was the original demon techtree creator for THIS contest
then dionesiist appeared with a unique concept as well

but a THIRD person? well, just as long as it's not implementing MY ideas, i suppose

had a bit of modders block for quite some time, but am trying to come up with new ideas/concepts for my race's finer points. then comes the balance. yayyyyyy.

Well, If i knew the unit's concept perhaps I could give you a model concept to match...

Level 9
Soon...
I finished basic statistics of all units and heroes, and many of the abilities of them, when I have done them I'll post up a second WIP...

And-been honest, I am still not pleased of any model I have found for the Air hero...I might end up using a Shadow one...(in my army, "Shadow" is an Air sub-elemental, much like ice is a Sub-elemental of Water...)

EDIT: well, got myself a decent air hero model, with a shadowy look to match his stealthy nature...

EDIT2: the further I get into the heroes, the more I believe they might cause serious brain damage to the use...one of them can suicide-attack for crying out loud! (I have this thing where at some point the creative possess controls me instead of the other way around...and it seems to take me to very, very disturbing places lately...)

Last edited:
Level 35
Okay, so I've been inactive for quite some time now, and recently got back into the race once again!

Since I've been inactive, I've been pondering various things I'd like to add and was having a hard time coming up with ideas. I've come up with a few that I'm quite happy with so far, so I will start with unit ideas:

Unit Ideas

Horror - You get this by 'sacrificing' (genetically manipulating) a Slave unit to become a suicidal suicide unit that goes BOOM to attack (much like the Goblin Sapper, only this one will be more durable and a little slower).

Mobile Generator - This is a WIP, but so far I'm thinking of it being a pure utility unit. The idea of it is that it will be able to extract energy (mana) from enemy targets and transfer it to friendly units, serving as a shield or as mana for using abilities.

Ability/Spell Ideas:

Stunning Blow - Simple idea, allows the Brute to slow enemy's movement speed on attacks, essentially making them a great meatshield (they do not have high damage output, just there for tanking damage. This ability lets them do that even better).

Spybot - First spell for the Heretic spellcaster. This summons a Spybot which floats around the Heretic for a short period of time, Detecing nearby invisible units.

Energy Disruptor - Second spell for the Heretic spellcaster. This one places a Ward which causes nearby spellcasters to take damage whenever they cast a spell. Still needs work to make it fully functional.

And that is it for now.

Level 45
So, anyway, I'm kind of fixing some stuff here and there, since bleh, it'd be a wasted effort otherwise. For a start, the Colossus will now be summoned the same way as the Infernal Knight, from a Hellgaoler. Then, summoning time is different for units, Tier 3 units taking the longest. I have mixed feelings towards this, but I guess it's for the best. Also, all units now cost gold to summon. I could probably balance it out and make buildings cost more lumber.
Reworking Heroes now, still, don't expect much from those.

Level 9
Dio is back to the race...that might prove to be a problem then...

Wazzz-suicide bombers are always nice, and the mobile generator almost seems like a requirement in your army, I think both will be a nice addition to what I've seen so far...

Anyway, as another "WIP showing" I will now post basic data about 2 of my heroes (no numbers, just effect)

Lavamancer: (Int) Mystical hero, expert at dealing large amounts of damage.
Rain of Fire-calls down multiple molten rocks from the sky, scattering randomly around, dealing damage and minor confusion on impact, a flame will remain at the impact zone for a few seconds, burning all who touch it.
Overload (Auto)-the lavamancer overloads himself with heat, causing himself to explode, ripping everything nearby apart, however the spell is lethal. (yes, a sapper hero.)
Pyrohemia (Auto?)-causes unit to take damage over time, if dies it bursts into flames that last a while and burn all who touch them.
Soul of the Phoenix (Ulti)-If the lavamancer dies he is restored as a lesser form of himself, if that lesser form survives 30 seconds he is restored into his full power, and is fully healed. (scary with overload, although cooldowns prevents double-blast abuse)

Mistwalker: (AGI) Cunning hero, adapt at causing confusion and avoiding direct confrontation.
Mistform (Auto)-the mistwalker fades into mist whenever it takes damage, temporarily avoiding any further damage.
Shadow Step- teleports anywhere on the battlefield (must have vision, and much more mana/cooldown then blink. used to mount surprise attacks or to fully retreat, not quickly move in and out of combat.)
Shadowstorm- the mistwalker releases streams of black winds that wonder around, damaging nearby enemies.
Calling- summons up to six friendly units from anywhere to the mistwalker (yay instant reinforcements, quite lethal when used properly combined with Shadow Step)

As you see from the first two heroes, the elemental army is more into hit-and-run (or hit and die) and battlefield control then direct confrontation, it does not boast very good melee units, but powerful magics instead. (the 2.5 earth units are the only non-squishy ones...)

Level 9
Humm...generally a step in the right direction Dio, but I belive the tier 1 units research time/cost might be a bit too high considering that's the only army you are going to get anytime soon...having such a delay before you can make any combat units leaves you very vulnerable to rush strategy, and prevents proper creep farming...

Level 7
Wip

My race is based off of the sword of truth series, during the time when Richard Rahl was on the throne.

The most notable thing about this race would be the Mord Sith and Confessors, you can choose either to Have mord sith or confessors.* Mord sith have a system for turning magic back on its caster.
The Confessors take over units, but when the confessor dies they are released and those units attack any unit that attacks the confessors.

they might be a little to op right now so suggestions for the best way to make them balanced would be appreciated.
*this part still needs work

View attachment (6)SwampOfSorrows SoTv.2b.w3x

ingame credits not finished
Tenbrae for his rpg hero model
Happy Tauren for the seekers sword(its his Runed Longsword)
for Human Archer

Status
Not open for further replies.