• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Techtree Contest #5 - Innovation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 38
Whelp, this is what the units in my race look like so far:

scaled.php

Not really sure on the abilities or stats yet, but going for a more protoss/terran high survival feel. And an evil feel.

I'm thinking of doing some sort of sudo-hero level up system for most of the standard units, were players are rewarded for keeping their units alive. Also thinking about giving the drow units mana shield to give them a sturdy boost to health that still aesthetically fits them.

Level 14
I have began work on one of the heroes for the void race.

Life Binder
- Abilities:
--Claw of the Tiger
---Life binder does damage to a target and slows them for 4 seconds
--Shield of the Turtle
---Life binder creates a shield using his mana.
--Force of the Golem
---Life binder imbues himself with the strength of a golem increasing most stats
--Tri-Binding
---????
-Background
The Void Creatures known as the Life Binders go to worlds and select the strongest lifeform to bind to. The binding process takes what great about that lifeform and combines it's ability with the power of the void. These are usually sent on worlds before the actual invasion to allow the powers of the life binders to increase.
attachment.php

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_080111_173732_01.png
    WC3ScrnShot_080111_173732_01.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 611
Last edited:
Level 2
Been looking at this thread for a bit now, reckon I might join in.
I've been considering, and somewhat planning a insectoid team (using predominantly Nerubian models, no it's not actually a Nerubian team, it's just the most consistent style of insect-y creatures) with a play style reliant upon making choices. Stuff like having to pick between a stunted lumber income for an increase gold income, or vice versa, and sacrificing units (or at least the active usability of a number of units), in order to further develop ones army. It's still a pretty base idea, and I'm going to make sure I have a clear concept in mind before I start buggering around in WorldEdit.
I do have a few questions about using resources though, specifically models and skins. I'm not that familiar with what is considered right and not so right, so I'd like to make sure I don't end up doing something that's gonna piss someone off.
So,
Is it alright to change a custom models skin to another skin, if both of the skins are from Warcraft itself?
Is it alright to do the same thing, but the changed skin is a custom skin?
Can I remove the hero glow from a custom model, in order to use it as a unit rather than a hero (obviously I'd have to deal with the lack of a decay animation)?

The reason for the questions is because there are less Nerubian models/skins than I expected, and I'm trying to make sure I can scrounge together enough resources to cover a whole team. Sorry if the questions are out of place or something.
Anyway, thanks in advance, hopefully I'll be able to make something worth showing in the near future.

Oh, Crazed_seal, it doesn't count your Rift as a town hall because the melee victory conditions don't acknowledge custom town halls, and as such, it starts the countdown. I believe earlier on in the thread there is a link or two as to how to fix the problem.

Level 35
sounds like your race idea either:

- revolves around the use of upgrading units into better unit forms

OR

- revolves around sacrificing units together in order to improve your standing on the techtree

if i'm wrong on both counts then POO to YOU

i'd imagine you'd need the artist's permission to make any edit, no matter how minor, so you should be able to get in contact with them by the deadline of september

Level 2
Here's hoping that all the creators are around then!
Times like this I wish I wasn't awful at modelling/skinning.

And yeah, it's about sacrifices in general really, whether that be killing a unit or units, or even just having to have them occupied with something that isn't fighting, or in a less unit oriented sense, making sacrifices based on an income or something such as that, in order to, for example, catch up with a lacking resource.
I'd be a little less ambiguous, but I'm still tossing a lot of this around.

Level 35
originally, i wondered where your innovation would be coming fromwhile i'm not seeing *too* much evidence of a new system in play

but now i see there's rather a lot of innovative ability ideas!

yeomanry seems like it could potentially be op (1.5 armor per unit is a LOT of armor), but i'm more interested in how such an ability can be created!

not too sure why throwing hammers will cause magical damage

Level 6
There is a limit of six units for yeomanry, and i'll put it to one armor. And u'll know how in proper time xD

Throwing hammers cause magical damage to be strong vs heavy ground units(aka tauren...).

Without "Hammer Time", the Irish Berserker is similar to a hypogryph / gargoyle( only attacks air units). And theoretically they deal magic damage because of lightning imbued hammers.

Level 19
I have began work on one of the heroes for the void race.

Life Binder
- Abilities:
--Claw of the Tiger
---Life binder does damage to a target and slows them for 4 seconds
--Shield of the Turtle
---Life binder creates a shield using his mana.
--Force of the Golem
---Life binder imbues himself with the strength of a golem increasing most stats
--Tri-Binding
---????
-Background
The Void Creatures known as the Life Binders go to worlds and select the strongest lifeform to bind to. The binding process takes what great about that lifeform and combines it's ability with the power of the void. These are usually sent on worlds before the actual invasion to allow the powers of the life binders to increase.
attachment.php

You have to disable win/loss victory conditions from melee intilization.

Level 45
Yes, here I go again.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Well for a start I added Tier 2 and Tier 3 Town Halls, just to fix up the requirements for buildings and upgrades and units even.
In terms of units I haven't progressed a whole lot, but I have two functional spellcasters now and also flying units. Painmeddler is an offensive spellcaster, it can slow, poison and turn enemy units into Phaselings; Eidolon is a supporting spellcaster, it can steal mana for a start, Destroy Magic and boost ally damage and regeneration rates.
Phasebat is basically a flying Phaseling, with the bonus that it deals Chaos damage, though little of it, and only to flying units. It can turn into the Overfiend, who I guess is my Tier 3 flying unit. It is awesome.
Buildings are as follows: Soulhouse=Farm; Decrepit Altar=Flying unit building, for now;

Attachments

• townhall.jpg
    townhall.jpg
    964.3 KB · Views: 509
  • buildings.jpg
    buildings.jpg
    959.4 KB · Views: 487
  • units.jpg
    units.jpg
    682.3 KB · Views: 427
Level 7
@CompactNinja go spiders rather then nerubians... :ogre_haosis:
well, i guess we are all not creative enough... does it only seem to me, or do we have like 2 of all races? 2 demons, 2 goblins, 2 nerubs, 2 humanlike... :vw_wtf:

... and im still on holiday (Tatry, Slovakia) so dont expect much from me :D but here is my first WIP... i just imported models and icons for units and buildings (im still not sure about some of them), and i am creating names and doing some basic things for the units now...
attachment.php

Attachments

• Nerubian_race_by_Ahimtar.png
    Nerubian_race_by_Ahimtar.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,103
Level 35
speak for yourself, ahimtar, i was the first one to call spehss demons, and compactninja is doing an insectoid race, not necessarily nerubians
it's just there aren't really all that many options for insect units other than nerubians

only one goblin race, too

and you're forgetting the faceless ones and the britons

still no new wips for me, i'm so sad

Level 35
you made ai? i don't remember that getting completed O:

haha thanks, it's an ability in the oooold game 'Dark Reign', unit that can only target infantry using this style of 'attack', which makes infantry very interesting to use

mind you, i'm afraid of imbalance as this spell will mean that you can cause an entire (biological) army to die after a set amount of time if you mass the caster of this spell

sooo i gotta think of ways to balance it or something, perhaps make the caster really expensive and stuff

Level 7
speak for yourself, ahimtar, i was the first one to call spehss demons, and compactninja is doing an insectoid race, not necessarily nerubians
it's just there aren't really all that many options for insect units other than nerubians
only one goblin race, too and you're forgetting the faceless ones and the britons
i was just saying... and, i thought of bretons as humanlike... and i LOL'd when i saw this:
(perhaps should rename it cuz Amphaross222 is making faceless, sorry I didn't know someone was making it).
so, my theory is quite right, it just has some exceptions (like goblins) :ogre_haosis:

btw that healing ability sounds great :) how about giving it a long cooldown? (or upgrade it a bit and let it be a hero ability...)

Level 38
All right, this is mainly what I've got for my race so far. Rather than a racial worker I was thinking about having the Drow enslave other units and use them like resources. Sort of enhancing the evil feel and giving a unique mechanic to the race.

I haven't figured out what to do with a few units I thought I was going to use, still working on the Intelligence Hero's abilities to. Have no idea what to do for an air unit, nothing really seems to fit.

Slave:
(Worker)

O An enslaved unit of the other races that can harvest gold, lumber, and repair/finish building structures.
O The amount of gold, lumber, and repair rate of slaves depends on the slave's parent unit level. An enslaved tauren will be able to contribute more faster than an enslaved footman, for instance.

Shock Trooper:
(Basic Melee)

O Heavy armor
O Normal attack

Lolth's Sting:
O attacks poison the target unit, causing an additional 12 damage over 12 seconds. Stacks up to 6 times, each application resets the timer.
O If the unit is a hero, their Strength, Agility, and Intellect will be reduced by 1 for 12 seconds. Stacks up to 6 times.

Spell Shield
O Blocks a negative spell or ability targeting the [shock trooper]. 40 second cooldown.

Spellbow
(Basic Ranged, Anti-Air)

O Medium armor
O Piercing attack

Multi-Shot
O Attack up to 3 units with each attack.

Shadow Binder
(Essential Spell Caster)

O Unarmored armor
O Magic attack

Enslave
O Reduces damage and attack speed by 20%, disables spellcasting, and causes the afflicted unit to become enslaved by the Dow if their health drops below 75 hp.

Embue
O Restores [X] mana to the target unit, and enchants their weapon to restore 5 mana with each attack.

Spore Tumor
O Summons an immobile ward that has 1200 range and deals magic damage in an small area of effect.

Basilisk
(Heavy artillery)

O Medium armor
O Magic attack (ranged, vs. organic targets)
O Siege attack (melee, vs. inorganic targets)

Crystallizing Gaze
O Attacks sap attack rate and movement speed from the target and give them to the basilisk for 5 seconds. Consecutively attacking the same target will further slow them and hasten the basilisk.

Glass Carapace
O Reduces damage from air units and structures by 15 to a minimum of 5.

Hydra
(Heavy melee)

O Heavy armor
O Normal attack

Regrow Heads
O Every time the Hydra takes damage it's attack speed is permanently increased by 1%. Bonuses cannot exceed 100%.

Triple attack
O Every third attack launches targets into the air, stunning them for 0.5 seconds.

Dusk Knight
(Strength Hero)

Mighty Leap
O Jump to the target location, dealing [x] damage to all nearby hostile units in a [y]2 aoe. After using, there is a 2 second window were casting this ability again will return the [dusk knight] to the position she was at prior to casting this ability.

Bridge of Shadows
O Teleport all targets within the area effect to the position of the dusk knight. 1200 range.

Tenacious Aura
O Increases the spell resistance of units within the are by 10/20/30% and reduces the duration of certain spells and effects.

Coagulation
O Places a damaging buff at the dusk knight's feet, inflicting 5% max hp/second damage for 12 seconds to all hostile organic units that within the effect's radius.

Frost Archer
(Agility Hero)

Crystal Arrow
O Passive: Enhances auto-attacks to slow the attack rate and movement speed of targets struck for 2/3/4 seconds.
O Active: Fires a crystal arrow at the target location, dealing [X] damage to all targets in a line and creating an impassable wall of ice that lasts for [Y] seconds. Targets caught within the wall will be chilled and rooted to the ground.

Quick Shot
O Allows the frost ranger to fire an extra attack every 1.35 seconds that causes [x] damage. This attack does not require an animation, and may be launched when moving. Passive effect.

Spiderweb Trap
O Places a trap at the target location that stealths and activates after 5 seconds. When a hostile unit steps within the inner 50% of the area effect, the trap springs, rooting units in a sticky web, slowing any unit passing through the area in the next 12 seconds by [Y%], and unleashing a swarm of angry spiders that persist for 12 seconds and cause 10/20/30 damage with their attacks.

Darkness
O Conjures a cloud of magical darkness in the target location, blinding all hostile units within the area - causing attacks to miss 95% of the time and reducing movement speed by 50%.

Matriarch
(Intelligence Hero)

Hysteria
O Stuns the target unit, and taunts all units within a 400 radius to attack the target - be they friend or foe.

???
O ???

???
O ???

Insanity
O afflicts targets within the effected area with madness, causing them to attack the closest unit to them regardless of allegiance, become stunned for a short duration, or wander aimlessly. Effects persist on all afflicted units for [Y] seconds. Units afflicted by insanity cannot be controlled.

Slave usage:

Purchase Slave:
O Purchases a slave on the slave market.

Force Labor:
O Transforms the slave unit into a worker. Workers can harvest gold, lumber, and repair and finish building structures.

Sell:
O Sells the slave on the slave market for gold. More costly units are generally worth more.

Torture:
O Tortures the slave for combat information. Reveals a random location on the map for a short time period. Costs 200 health of the slave.

Fight (Requires Garrison):
O Makes the slave fight the target drow unit to the death atop the dungeon. Drow units gain a bonus 10 mana/sec regen when fighting, and will gain a permanent bonus to health+regen, mana+rejuve, or attack speed+damage. Bonuses are based on the level of the creature fought, but cannot exceed 10 ranks each.

Concubine (Requires Garrison):
O Forces the slave to satisfy the target unit, granting a happiness buff for a moderate duration that improves health and mana regeneration. Costs 200 health of the slave.

Sacrifice:
O Sacrifices the slave (requires altar of Lolth) to grant a random bonus.

Feed (requires Hatchery):
O Feeds the slave to the target beast. Beasts will grow larger and restore health based on the max hp of the slave fed. Beasts grow larger after consuming 200/400/600/... hp of units, gaining bonus health, regeneration, damage, and attack range with each growth.

I'm thinking of having the main structure summon a beacon that can be upgraded into various other structures, or started to be upgraded and requiring human style repair to finish them.
For the enslaved units I was thinking that the town hall would have a cargo hold (similar to meat wagons) and the first unit in line would be the one effected by whatever command used to utilize the enslaved unit. Was also thinking of creating a walkable destructible at the position of the town hall so units can actually walk/fight on top of it.

Level 19
Haven Aura
pasbtnleadership.png

Description: Grants a 10% chance to heal 30% of max health points for nearby friendly units once they have been damaged to 10% of their total health points or below.

Your base building (High Garrison) has this ability, and it is very handy (especially early on) when holding off harassment, as the Dwarves are vulnerable in the start of the game for their having expensive units and buildings early-on.

The ability has an effective range of 900.00, meaning that your base and its surrounding defenses (doesn't affect buildings) will be within the aura's effective range.

Here's a quick overview of tier-1 units.

Icebreaker:
Basic worker. Can harvest gold and lumber, build structures and Repair.
(has slightly more damage than other workers, abilities pending)

Brawler:
Brutish melee warrior. Can learn Drunken Rage, which causes the Brawler to go into a frenzic state where all attacks he lands have a chance of inflicting Bleed on the target.

Crossbowman
Ranged unit. Powerful against infantry but has a slow rate-of-fire. Can learn Electric Bolts, which deal increased damage to units in water.

no here it is judge for yourself. Some of these skins/models are not mine so please find out who is original owner and credit him. Most models and icons are mine so just ask.

View attachment Gift.rar

edit: What is not mine is edited to suite its purpose. I am not presenting others work as my own. If you use my work then credit me.

Status
Not open for further replies.