• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #5 - Innovation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Okay Heres A WIP.

The Void Split is the main tow hall for the Void Race. It does not having any tier upgrades and only produces Void Born which is the Void Race's Workers.
attachment.php

The shadow stone is the building that gives supply for the Void Race. It can also 'uproot' into a mobile offensive form that has a long range attack
attachment.php

The Temple of Blight is the basic barracks for the Void Race. It produces Void Spawn, Dark Vanguard, and Obsidian Skull.
attachment.php

The Obsidian tower is the primary defensive structure. It is fast building and does a nice amount of damage. It costs a medium amount. The Fast building allows it to be a nice offensive structure too.
attachment.php

Remember: Things can change. Ideas are being thought of.

Any suggestions, and comments are welcome

Attachments

• Obsidian Tower.PNG
    Obsidian Tower.PNG
    149.3 KB · Views: 630
  • Shadow Stone.PNG
    Shadow Stone.PNG
    157.9 KB · Views: 579
  • Temple of Blight.PNG
    Temple of Blight.PNG
    169 KB · Views: 557
  • Void Split.PNG
    Void Split.PNG
    179.8 KB · Views: 570
Level 45
Time for another WIP to dispel any fears that my race is basically uninspired night elves.
attachment.php

Basically, the Phaseling is the key to having new units. Via upgrades at the Dark Temple, it gains the ability to turn into, for now, Hellgaolers or Familiars. Hellgaolers are your basic melee unit, pretty strong to make up for the time handicap, and come with a berserk-ability, Ira. Familiars are basic ranged units, with a toned down permanent immolation [they're pretty weak, they could use the bonus] and via a research get a dispel buffs spell.

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    581.9 KB · Views: 522
Level 35
because wazzz has no work, wazzz has another wip

f3f8gj.jpg

as you may notice, i have not named every unit there. spoilers, my friends, spoilers.

I MAY not include an air attack on the archdemon, this race is far from complete however as i'll need to define unit roles more and more.

I do plan to include more ranged units, as the futuristic theme is helping quite a lot with this.

all the haters may say 'but wazzz, you can't include spaceships and plasma weaponry in a fantasy game, it's not gosu'. the fact is, their opinions are wrong.

Level 8
With all these WIPS flying around, I feel almost obligated to post something too. Because I'm too lazy to model an entire new set of buildings (yet again), I'll use my "steampunk humans/ode to Redshift" collection of models. Apart from these models, I haven't really got anything tech-tree-ish to report. I'm not even sure which ones will reach the final cut. I hope to add all models that don't make it to the map in the form of bonus campaign units.

Some early ideas:

Theme: So I'm going with steampunk humans. Originally I wanted to go the mutant way and involve the Savage as a sort of tier-3 melee. But the more I think about it, the more I want to go in the steam-technology direction: Lot's of mechanical units to play with.

1: A settlers inspired tech-tree:
Workers are spawned automatically when building a slum, they can be upgraded using various other buildings.
Citizen -> Militia -> Stormtrooper -> Captain
Citizen -> Gunslinger -> Blaster -> Robot

2: The good old day/weather system revived! I think it may cost originality points in the constest; but this way the humans could be merged with the elves from the previous contest to make an interesting alt. melee map.

3: Resources: I might do a mechanical mine that can function without workers at a reduced production rate. (I'm also brainstorming to replace lumber with coal, maybe requiring citizens to process lumber in a second step.)

186080-albums3726-picture49588.jpg

INFORMATION:
- The Slum is the food production building
- The Granary as the lumber drop-off/research building
- The City Guard trains gunslingers and stormtroopers (one way or the other)
- The Outpost is needed to expand the base (building is only enabled near outposts).
- I'm still modelling the shop and gunslinger.
Buildings can only be contructed in the proximity of outposts. I'm thinking about making a customized blighted building system to increase the visual effect. Replacing the blight with planks (See Pharao, I was only half joking when I mentioned changing the terrain ;) ) My big problem with it is that the borders of blight overlap the grassy tiles and that it can grow on cliffs (just doesn't make sense to me).

186080-albums3726-picture49589.jpg

INFORMATION:
- The Refinery would most likely be some sort of upgrader.
- The Magic School will produce the casters: I've got three models to fit, but i'm sure i'll degrade one of them to a campaign unit only. Probably the centaur dude.
- The City Hall is the first townhall upgrade, if I feel productive I might add a final upgrade aswell.

186080-albums3726-picture49590.jpg

INFORMATION:
- The Factory could be the siege weapon producer.
- I'm liking the idea of the Steambot and Airship as ultimate units. (I would like to model the air units myself, but these are decent substitutes from the hive to function for now.)
- The Savage turned out really well as a model, but i'm not sure if i'll use it. It could be an upgrade for the preacher? The same goes for the Captain model in Tier 2.

Last edited:
Level 6
dionesist, permanent immolation for a ranged unit is not quite really appropriate is it? Maybe add berserk to it and give immolation to the melee unit( id give him mana shield and the devour magic spell from the destroyer if i were you).

Sage chow, I wouldn't recommend to make a lot of complicated processes, just make something that's fun to play( just a friendly advice).

PS: i love your campaign.

Level 35
due to a lack of feedback on my wips, i'm going to go ahead and assume i'm just doing it right

dionesiist: race is looking good, stuff we discussed in chat, etc.

sage chow: theme fits in well together ass-thetically, but i cant help but feel the 'savage' is somewhat misplaced amongst a steampunk society

Wazzz, I made a shield system similar to Sc2's. If you'd like, I can send it to you. Btw, your demons don't really look that futuristic or tech-ish.

Sage Chow, impressive visuals. That's all I can say. Don't really like the 'plank blight' system (doesn't fit and unoriginal), but you could make a road system or something.
I'm not really sure what your theme is.

Level 35
that's the point. if they looked too techish, they wouldn't really fit in with the warcraft 3 melee environment. rather, i want them to appear low tech on the most part while implemnting tehnology at the same time.

essentially, it's a sort of cyberpunk theme where it's high tech made to look lowtech.

i probably wouldn't use the shield system, but i am interested in seeing how it works

Sage chow, I wouldn't recommend to make a lot of complicated processes, just make something that's fun to play( just a friendly advice).

If complicated means anything original and innovative, then I support it. I awarded people for daring, in the previous contest.
Use new features, don't be afraid, use systems that have nothing to do with classic Warcraft <3

Level 16
may i please have some feedback on my current wips?
i must hear someone else say i'm awesome

You're awesome. What's your WIP?

No in all seriousness it looks good. I don't know if including invisibilty is a good idea though. I like the anti-caster unit, the hell houndish thing. Make him fast and easily killed, so that distractions and chaos are vital in them performing well (so that the player doesn't focus on them) I like the power supply concept you got going on too.

Dionesiist, what is a "Hellgaoler"? Do you mean Hellgoaler?

Level 45
WIP again because I guess I'm just really bored.

attachment.php

So, anyway, stuff written in various shades of yellow is new as of the last WIP.
Unit-wise, I've added Painmeddlers and Infernal Knights. Also, a Hero because I couldn't properly 'test' how the race manages without a hero.
Painmeddlers are debilitating spellcasters, their spells weaken enemies. Infernal Knights are basically stronger versions of the Hellgaolers and will replace them via a "Berserker upgrade" type spell.
The Unborn is basically a Phaseling hero, and thus far can turn into shit and summon Ravens.
Building-wise, there's the Sheol Gateway, which is the altar; Defiler's Bastion, spellcaster building [in theory, since the Painmeddler training upgrade refuses to show up]; Athanor, blacksmith and lumbermill in one; Infernal Crucible, permits the production of Infernal Knights.

Attachments

• rsg.jpg
    rsg.jpg
    864.7 KB · Views: 473

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Quite tempted to join, actually, but I wish I had time to finish more Iniquit skins/models first. It would be two tasks in one. But let me get this straight; the idea is to make one whole race, and in order to do so, you can do whatever you want as long as the map size stays within 5MB?

Level 17
I've changed from Goblins to Blood Elves and I'll post a WIP soon on it.
:3

EDIT: Scratch that it seems I'm doing High Elves instead.

EDIT: Posted a wip of TIER 1.
Have a look if you want.
Only the structures and units are complete, fixing everything else so I can get something playable soonies.

attachment.php

EDIT: Added a more "fixed" wip with the full TIER 1 units and structures (I dunno if I'm gonna have a shop though). Added the Spear Cannon and a Magic Tower.
attachment.php

Attachments

• WIP1.jpg
    WIP1.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 342
  • WIP1Fixed.jpg
    WIP1Fixed.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
Level 16
Here's my idea: An Olde English Race

Dionesiist will be my hero, along with Dante, Homer, and Shakespeare. At the end of every units name will be "wright", to signify their job, example: playwright, shipwright, or gruntwright (Doesn't really work, but w/e)

The town hall-ish thing will be Shakespeare's Theatre. It will upgrade to other notable places of literature (The globe theatre might be the highest upgrade, or it might not. Depends on stuff)

The peons will be called nerdwrights, a term suiting the people who still dabble in "Ye olde english terms".

Typical abilities will include Recite Modern Poetry, which puts all nearby units to sleep (because there hasn't been any good poetry since the new millenium), and Petty Squabling, in which two units masterfully debate over something useless. The (random) winner of the debate will mind control the other one permanently. The ability Gore will allow all Odyssey nerds to live out their fantasies, in which the caster spins that sizzling stake round the Cyclop's eye (lovers of the Odyssey will make the connection between the passage and my desciption). Love Poem recites a sonnet to target female unit, giving a chance to "daze" it with love for a few seconds (daze gives a 75% chance to miss). My last thought of ability (so far) is Read Diary, in which Dionesiist reads a passage from his personal Journal. The effects are "Embarassing Passage", in which all nearby units are stunned from laughing at Dionesiist's mistakes, "Uber Fail Passage", in which all nearby units lose 20 damage for a few seconds, because they feel bad punching someone that lame, "Almost Cool Passage", in which all nearby units are awed by something that Dionesiist once did that bordered on cool, and get knocked back and get zinged for 50 damage for "not being almost as cool", and the "Romantic Passage", in which all nearby units immediately puke on the ground, becoming slowed in their own puke by 20% for a few seconds and taking minor acidic damage.

Please note all people that this is in fact, a serious post. This has the express consent of Dionesiist, in both him being a hero of mine, and the ability relating to him. All ideas, units, and abilities are subject to change upon my whim. This is not my WiP, that will come soon.

Level 35
the more the merrier, ampharos, good luck! =D

thinking of some hero abilities, i figured that a reactionary hero would be very cool

that is, a hero which is good for any situation, just not every situation at any one given time

this is inspired from the race's strategic theme being similar to that of the starcraft 2 zerg in that you can pump many units out simultaneously if you go for a while without producing any

so, thinking of abilities, i have one ability idea to pitch:
basically, you target a unit with a targettable ability, and triggers then calculate the health-to-damage-output ratio
that is, it will calculate whether the unit is more of a defensive unit or more of an offensive unit
if the target is more defensive, it will improve your attack stat in order to react
if the target is more offensive, it will improve your health in order to react
both these effects are, of course, temporary, and increments will be based on the level of the ability

opinions?

the more the merrier, ampharos, good luck! =D

thinking of some hero abilities, i figured that a reactionary hero would be very cool

that is, a hero which is good for any situation, just not every situation at any one given time

this is inspired from the race's strategic theme being similar to that of the starcraft 2 zerg in that you can pump many units out simultaneously if you go for a while without producing any

so, thinking of abilities, i have one ability idea to pitch:
basically, you target a unit with a targettable ability, and triggers then calculate the health-to-damage-output ratio
that is, it will calculate whether the unit is more of a defensive unit or more of an offensive unit
if the target is more defensive, it will improve your attack stat in order to react
if the target is more offensive, it will improve your health in order to react
both these effects are, of course, temporary, and increments will be based on the level of the ability

opinions?

You are getting better and better; this is actually what lacked from your submission in the previous contest. These mini-systems are my favorite. Keep up!

Level 8

PS: i love your campaign.

^^Thanks! Always a great thing to hear for a campaigner! I may have to follow up on your advice; depending on the time I have. But then again, making complicated things work is inspiring too =P

due to a lack of feedback on my wips, i'm going to go ahead and assume i'm just doing it right

sage chow: theme fits in well together ass-thetically, but i cant help but feel the 'savage' is somewhat misplaced amongst a steampunk society

^^ I'm gonna take that as a compliment ;) Yeah, the savage will probably be reduced to campaign unit only. I had intended them as a kind of mutant experiments. But then again, I only had oinkerwincle when I made these models :(

Some requested feedback:
I'm loving the strategic comments you add to your WIPs, especially on the demoness concept (limiting them to target air when flying). Suggestion: Add a passive skill on both formes to capitalize their individual roles even more. Use similar icons in the same place, or try to make both abilities related.
The hero adaptation skill looks good on paper; can't wait to see how it would function. I'm getting a "Savage" vibe from that doomguard. Maybe you could find a better model on the hive? Your race is about demons with technology, right? I think you could consider to take that theme much further; in the process it will set your race apart from other generic demon races. In this respect our challenges are the same in this contest.

To other contestants:
- Skycraft: Looks very clean! I like it. Just some advice: Try to differentiate your race from the humans a bit. (Something I must work on too)
- Ampharos: Join us! You've got some great models to work with.
- Beef: Go for it. It does force you to be original.
- Ashbringer: XD It's hard to see anything, disable the fog in your map! (The WIPs look good by the way. I'm loving that trebuchet thing and that air unit)
- 67Chrome: I expect fireworks from you, mate! =P Good that you're joining this.

Last edited:
Level 35
mmm true about dat doomguard, atm it's a siege melee unit with an upgradable anti-air magic attack, but the problem is it makes no sense from a technological perspective (shooting dat magic, that is)
of course, it would be a technology based weapon, but still kind of weird

however, with the technology theme, i'm not wanting them to be super-high tech, so to speak, but more so that their demonic abilities and such are sort of explained via the use of technology

for example, the 'Hell Hounds' will have a 'feedback' based ability (not highly original, may change it later on, but atm i'm liking it), which will be explained by the use of a energy-draining device implemented inside the jaw

it's sort of like the Demons have access to this technology, they know how to use it, but they don't know how to really take it further
if they did, they would surely dominate everything in site :p

AN ALTERNATIVE TO EATING MANA:
possibly make it that instead of eating mana off of enemy casters, the Hell Hound removes positive buffs off of enemy units on attack? still thinking about it

also don't really think i could find a more suitable unit than the 'doom guard' for now, least of all the model, i'll have a look around though

ADDITIONAL:
came to the realisation that it would be rather potent if the Hell Hound had both the 'feedback' ability as well as the passive removal of positive buffs as its abilities... combined into one super ability

Last edited:
Level 38
@ Wazzz

You could probably add a faceless one and give it a name like Cthulhu if you're looking for more ideas.
I've always found specific names for demons are more interesting than just the generic, all purpose names for them. Maybe call the archdemon a Balrog or Balor. A few minutes on Wiki with a demonology search could afford a lot of interesting names. You could also try Dungeons and Dragons demon, devil, and fiend searches - which probably have a nifty supply of ability ideas with them.

As for the split function abilities, that sounds like a cool route to go. I remember one of the heroes in League of legends had something similar, were if the caster has more health than the target the ability does bonus damage , if the caster has less the ability stuns them.

Seems like a unique take on humans. If you stick to humans I'd recommend importing new units or utilizing campaign units to separate them from the alliance. I think Mr. Bob created a ton of human buildings, so that shouldn't be much of a problem. I think the city house doodads actually have build and death animations to.

Wow, those buildings offer a really solid aesthetic to a race. Not sure if all of Red Shift's units can combine together for the same feel, the shaman, savage, and centaur really don't seem to steam-pounikish. The cannon tower seems more observatory/scout towerish with the window at the end of the cannon to.
Really like how the graveyard and crypt look with different skins.

With all the resources you've submitted at this site it would be cool to see more of your own resources in a race, atm the grunt with wings looks a little odd. For naming conventions using distinct demon names could be cool as well, sort of the same thing with Wazzz

Overall seems like a good start. I wouldn't recommend giving a food supply any damage capabilities though, especially if it has mobility.

You really like fog effects don't you? A little hard to see what's going on there, but do I see some of the skins I've made :) ?
Anyways, it looks relatively distinct from the alliance which is good for a human race.

You might want to use the standard Black Dragon Roost, atm the dragon roost you have seems a little plain in it's achromatic state. Other than that the female dragonspawn looks pretty good.

Level 7
yay! i just found out that i can take my notebook while i will be on my "holiday" with parents, so maybe i can join this... however, i probably wont have internet there, so no WIPs coming and im afraid of lack of resources...

Level 19
In order to select the race in-game I made a dialog button system in about five minutes, it works fine -- just replaces standard units for players who wish to use the custom race.

I'm going to do Fel Orcs. You will have few units to choose from until tier 2, which is when all units can be devoted at an Chaotic Shrine to become a different demonic unit.

Level 12
i think i'll be making a shithole of a race full of mini-systems and random undead units joining together to form a somewhat bizarre excuse for an undead scourge.

yep.

Level 35
As for the split function abilities, that sounds like a cool route to go. I remember one of the heroes in League of legends had something similar, were if the caster has more health than the target the ability does bonus damage , if the caster has less the ability stuns them.

well, as it turns out, i won't be able to calculate the DPS of a target unit instantly, not without doing some funky stuff at least which would be rather impractical
so i may do that system where if you have more health than the target, it goes down one path ^^
never played any of those dota-esque games, never played dota, but it sounds like they're an interesting source of inspiration for abilities, or at least making ability ideas work Ö

Level 35
decided that i'm going to make the system work like this:

(max life of targetted unit)/(level of targetted unit) --> Just another Int variable
IF Just another Int variable < 200
THEN create dummy caster and order dummy caster to cast dummy spell on casting unit (for attack enhancyment)
ELSE create dummy... blah blah... (for defense enhancyment)

so basically, i figured that the more defensively bulky units would have health over 200 when their health was divided by the level of the unit, and it's a good reference point in any case.

Level 7
ok, im downloading some nerubian/spider resources, im probably call my race Arachnae, race of spiderlike creatures...

btw, can we use our hero from last hero contest? technically, he wasnt created before the start of a contest...

never played any of those dota-esque games, never played dota, but it sounds like they're an interesting source of inspiration for abilities, or at least making ability ideas work Ö

67Chrome was referring to Irelia's Equilibrium Strike:
39-3.gif

Equilibrium Strike - Irelia's attack balances the scales, dealing damage and slowing the target. However, if the target has a higher Health % than Irelia, then the blow stuns the target instead.
Irelia pierces her target, dealing 80/130/180/230/280 (+0.5) magic damage and slowing the target by 60% for 1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2 second(s).

If the target has a higher Health % than Irelia, she stuns the target for the duration instead.

Cost: 50/55/60/65/70 Mana
Range: 425

In fact, -Berz- tried to create this skill in Spells & Mini-systems contest: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1929856-post310.html

ok, im downloading some nerubian/spider resources, im probably call my race Arachnae, race of spiderlike creatures...

btw, can we use our hero from last hero contest? technically, he wasnt created before the start of a contest...

No, I'm afraid previous work is not allowed. You need to create everything exclusively for this contest.

Level 17

Attachments

• wip.jpg
    wip.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 845
Last edited:
Level 35
well, my spell idea isn't really working out, and i'm kind of wanting to change it anyway

so, keeping my hero as a bit of a reactionary hero, i was thinking of a few spell ideas:

- When hero's health is below a certain percentage, ability can be cast to improve it's defense and health significantly for a short amount of time, otherwise it will improve the attack damage for a short amount of time

- Hero targets an enemy hero and boosts either its Strength, Agility or Intelligence based on what that target hero's primary attribute is for a short duration of time

another idea i had for a passive ability was an ability where, if the hero's health drops below a certain percentage, it will become invulnerable for a short amount of time

alternatively, it could be an activated ability that acts as divine shield, but if the hero's health is below a set percentage it also gets a boost to its attack and/or movement speed, serving as a sort of last resort Frenzy move

~~~~~~~~~

for my caster units, i haven't thought much about what i want them to do, but one thing's for certain - i need a method of healing my units
i was thinking of implementing 'stimpacks' as an auto-castable ability based off of Inner Fire, which boosts the Defense of the target as well as the Life Regeneration (requires no trigger, it's an option for the spell itself)
i would probably put it on the heretic, but i don't want the heretic to have a super great ability too early in the game, as that would cause imbalance

~~~~~~~~~

due to a lack of WIPs as well as a lack of new material to produce said WIPs, here's a webcomic that stole my idea way after i came up with it

20020930h.gif

Level 7
that i call lazyness, you got very long time to create your techtree...
i call it sensibleness :) why work on a new hero when i just designed a fitting one :) but ok, imma create something new...

and some brief idea about my race... the main thing which specifies them is some sort of "nerubian obelisk" from the start of the game, just like the main hall (it will be their basic defense - like humans have call to arms, night elfs uproot...) also, in the statue they can buy something like upgrades to every unit (like trolls berserker upgrade) - so they wont have that many units to choose from, but they will have to choose which high-cost upgrades to use and which way they will specify in...

Level 12
Nice race you got there Skycraft, and since all you've shown us till now is its appearance, I'll finish by stating that your Royal Templar hero may be a human spy.

Status
Not open for further replies.