• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Shadows of Everwood - ORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
WC3ScrnShot_051010_210313_01.png

Here it is folks! Also, ignore Tukki's descripton of the ring. =P

Level 17
Perhaps, but I haven't tested Tukki's yet. That, and, he's worked really hard to make it for the project.

Level 17
^.^ Thanks, I'll tell Tukki you said that.

I'm so tempted to post information on the Alchemist class. >.<

Level 17
Hey guys! I have a progress report!

All hero concepts are done, based on the poll I made in the Idea Factory. I'd like to thank all of those people who voted in the poll.

We've begun terraining, granted, not the demo area, but still it is progress. I will probably stop posting in this thread, as not many coders are interested in WC3 anymore. I will post the demo in the Map Dev. forum when it is complete, though. =D

Level 17
Well, with summer coming (including my winter holidays), we'll be able to work quite a lot on Shadows of Everwood. And the demo's are actually quite short, as they only introduce you to the game, the story and begin your character.

Though, I'm a little concerned. With StarCraft II on the horizon, I hope people will still remain with WarCraft III and play/test this map, as well as others.

I don't know how other see it, but I'm right now disappointed from SC2.
They sucked up again at coding and the gameplay, yes, the gameplay is really boring.
So until they fix the stuff I'll just hang around at wc3 and continue mapping here, no matter how less people we are.

Who says that we need thousands of people to have fun?
Could be even better with only 1000 wc3 players which are that nice to each other that it makes really fun to play it.

SC2 will not be the end of wc3, at least not for now.

And now back to topic, how's the map going?

Level 17
The map is actually going surprisingly good. Each faction will have five heroes, each with eleven abilities (twenty-two to initially choose from) and a class mechanic unique to both the theme of the hero and the style of play the hero has. Like I stated before, Oziris has begun terraining, and eventually I will begin.

I have my concerns with player vs. player combat, though I might have a resolution. It might be a lot of work, however.

Level 17
I will. I'll PM you, maybe I will now. I do not wish to reveal so much on the forum. xD

Level 17
Just a bump and a little progress report.

We've decided to divide the project into three maps to enhance player vs. environment/player vs. player mechanics as well as expand the terrain for event quests and such.

Chronicles of Fire is the player vs. environment map for all Imperial Crown players. It will have ten players and have features, creeps, heroes, spells, items, towns, etc. exclusive only to the Imperial Crown.

You will venture into the lands of the empire, dealing with the many problems that occur behind the front lines of the main war, as well as assaults and attempts of sabotage from the other faction.

There are five chapters in this map including a prelude and epilogue. They are as follows:

• Prelude - Set in St. Danuele's School of War, a local centaur tribe as invaded the halls of this military institution. Imperial Crown players begin here and must force the centaurs from the academy.
  • Chapter I - The first chapter is set in Aranchia, an idyllic pastoral kingdom to which the empire runs its agricultural programs. Like the academy, centaurs driven from the south are marauding the farmlands.
  • Chapter II - Mortombra is a vast and desolate land where the remnants of the vampire and werewolf armies struggle for dominance. Due to an increase of feeding in the empire's lands, you and your party must choose a side and eradicate the opposing race.
  • Chapter III - A wasteland to which the remnants of the centaur tribes and the gnolls, a humanoid race of hyena-men, reside. This land must be reclaimed for the empire.
  • Chapter IV - Along the River Emperus is Vena, the Imperial Capital, in the kingdom of Vinosca. Blood litters the western part of the city as northern warriors assault the kingdom.
  • Chapter V - Temnar, a country in itself, is under the eyes of the Imperial Crown. To gain this kingdom is to capture the capital, Dhar Karagnaz, and enslave the dwarves that inhabit it.
  • Epilogue - Deep within Dhar Karagnaz, the Highfather has met with Thane Bjordan, one of the ruling chieftains of the north, to discuss an alliance. This alliance, however, will not be fulfilled. And it is your job to make sure of it.
Asmodeon's Demise is the player vs. environment map for all Northern Clans players. It will have ten players and features, creeps, heroes, spells, items, etc. exclusive to Northern Clans players.

While the Thane Ragnorsson wages a bloody war with the empire, his brother Urigmor is responsible for the protection of the north. However, when Asmodeon the Dragon King continues his onslaught south, you must fight to the death and defeat him.
  • Prelude - Your family and village are in the north, rested near a frozen lake, and it is under siege. Skannizk, a kobold under Asmodeon the Dragon King, is beginning the onslaught in the name of his lord. And you're caught right in the middle of it.
  • Chapter I - ??????
  • Chapter II - ??????
  • Chapter III - ??????
  • Chapter IV - ??????
  • Chapter V - ??????
  • Epilogue - You have driven the kobolds, giants, dragons and slyth into the Caverns of Skalda where you and the Snow Queen must put an end to Asmodeon's massacre.

And finally, there is the player vs. player map, where both capitals (Vena, the Imperial City and Vjanarheime, the Storm Peak) are expanded and pitted against each other for dominance over the Ivory Tower. The Ivory Tower is a dungeon that must be captured by:
a) maintaining control of the two objectives around it
b) gaining over five hundred points and
c) bribing the tower guardian for entrance

When one faction enters the dungeon, the other may also then gain control, and enter a separate wing of the tower to meet again with their enemies in an epic conflict to open the gate for the last boss.

For more progress, concepts are going really well. I've gone beyond demo ideas, spells, etc. Terrain is also on with a nice-paced start, especially since school is still on. Coding will not begin until holidays, sadly.

First of all thanks for asking!
Well I checked your thread and I must say that project looks really cool!
Features are really awesome!

But unfortunately I can't help you right now :sad:
I am working on 2 campaigns one has link in my signature (The Human Sin - Hosted project here, awesome shit if you ask me) and another less known but I hope good - LOTR created by DEMIGOD! (Also I have my own maps :xxd:)

I also saw above something about music (second page if I remember), well I must say that there is no better one than one in The Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivion :razz:

But if you want you can send me some screenshots of your terrain I can tell you what to improve/upgrade or maybe learn something who knows :grin:

And for the end I must say that this project deserves better thread! Create on in Map Development not idea factory! If you want I can do that ^^ I will only ask for pictures of some models you use, custom ingame font (if you have) to create some pictures and all main informations (you can edit that ofc and post what you want)
Maybe you use this: The Hive Workshop Hosted Forums
The Hive Workshop Hosted Forums This forum contains subforums for Hive Workshop's other various projects. These are just simple forums for projects that have not been designated as full Hosted Projects. Projects will be removed from this section after one month of inactivity. Application is now closed and is not planned to reopen at any time in the future.
Thanks again!

Level 6
The inventory system is a heavily modified version of Anachron's system.

As for the promo-picture Wolfe provided you with, it's far outdated folks ;) The string-parser has been significantly improved and the multiboard looks really neat!

Hopefully Wolfe will be able to provide you with some images in the coming days.

Level 17
Progress Report!

Oziris has finished the outline of St. Danuele's School of War, the first part of the Imperial Crown campaign. I am currently designing it's mechanics as a dungeon, where you will battle centaurs and rescue some of the students and teachers throughout the school.

xxdeathunter will start terraining as soon as I write him up a detailed review of the Temple of Eternity, the first part of the Northern Clans campaign.

On the coding front, we've completed our inventory and spell interface, which I will cover in detail in our Map Development thread, soon to be created, with terrain screenshots and more screenshots of our systems.

I am a little scattered at the moment. I've worked on dungeon mechanics, quests, heroes, items, all in an unstructured way. These will also be covered in the Shadows of Everwood thread.

For now, that is all I have, as you will find out a lot more in the upcoming thread!

Level 6
ALRIGHT!

The ability module is now alive and running again!

A few steps to create the inventory/ability interface:
  • Base all your work on the existing inventories
  • Understand the code; you'll need to tweak it a bit
  • Play around with the Width/Height values of inventory windows
  • Get a stash of coffee: YOU'LL NEED IT!!
  • Prepare to sacrifice some nights of your life...
  • And now, if you've done all this, you are finally prepared!

Hope it helped x)

If anyone's really interested: PM me and maybe, with Wolfe's permission, you'll get your hands on that shiny, golden, yummy, system map :p

Level 18
k so i got the plans

heres some quick questions before i get started :

What can i use in the map ? UTM 3.0 or UTM 4.0V or High rez pack ?

and as for the map files i need to use UMSWE ? is that all compatable with your stuff ?

and lastly some of the things you stated in the terrain details can be tricky and might have to be trigger operated (?). Also all the details you described i am fitting into a 256 x 256 area.

As for the last last question =p, you need an empty space near the top for entering buildings ?

Level 17
You know, you can always PM or VM me with these questions. =P

I'd appreciate it if you just used a standard UMSWE map and then import from there, but if using the UTM helps, than just remember to delete the models you don't need (just copy the map, delete the imports in one, and we'll use that as the proper map). If you feel that you need high resolution models look good with WC3 models, then sure.

If you can do the terrain first, then save the terrain-coding for after. Also, how do you mean 256x256 area? The temple is only the first part of the map out of five.

For buildings that you can enter, you pretty much walk in, rather than being teleported halfway across the map.

Level 18
ahh okay got it.

and let me rephrase what i meant, you want me to put all the terrain you said into a 480 x 480 map ? or since u said in the email : "Attached is a document outlining the details for the terrain in the top-left corner of a 480x480 map " which i think means only fill in 256 x 256 of the map (which is 1/4 the total size) ?

sorry if i dont make much sence cause im really really blazed right now sorry lol

Level 17
Blazed? =P

I was going to let you determine how big the temple and village is ON a 480x480.

Level 17
The Rogue
Rogues exist only to disrupt the tranquility so loosely held by the emperor and the upper echelons of his court. While most enjoy their days in the bustling markets thieving and manipulating lowly farmers, some use their uncanny guile to make quick use of their enemies and rob the homes of nobles. Though these legerdemainists are cowardly in their work, they have still immersed themselves in swordsmanship and other arts practiced in antiquity.

Blood Specialization
Rogues that specialize in this mastery tree embrace their knowledge of weaponry to combat the foes they encounter. Quite often, you will find one of these murderous charlatans dancing across the battlefield in a storm of blades, leaving behind a trail of blood and misery.

Shadow Specialization
Rogues that specialize in this mastery tree are malicious, calculating and selfish in their actions. Adept at fading into the shadow realm, finding traps and then disarming them, these common criminals are almost always tricking local guards and framing others for their deeds.

Faction Imperial Crown
Race Human
Role Melee Damage
Primary Stats Agility, Strength
Weapon Proficiencies
Armour Type
Swords, Daggers, Katars
Leather

Shadow Pace
Rogues are able to enter the shadow realm from any location and disguise themselves from mortal eyes. This is the Shadow Pace, and unlike other games, it is completely different to the stealth you all know and love.

When Rogues enter the shadow realm, you see the world through the eyes of your character, and slowly move through the world. In the shadow realm, you can spot traps and pick pocket your foes. Enemies can spot you if you pick pocket too close to a target, or even bump into a target.

Dance of Blades
Rogues are able to dance across the battlefield in a storm of blades, leaving behind only blood and misery. Players initiate a sequence of events called a dance, in which all abilities used acts as a step. As you execute a step, your next ability will deal more damage, until you unleash a devastating finale upon your foes.

If you exceed the limit, you become exhausted, decreasing your movement and attack speed significantly.

I present to you all the Rogue, the Imperial Crown's melee damage dealer.

Last edited:
Level 6
I'm currently working on the needed systems for a demo; two of them are already finished. I expect it to be around a total of (1+1+1+1+1?) 4 or 5 systems that needs to be coded. [highlight]So statistically speaking, I'm ~45% done.[/code]

Unfortunately I will not have Internet access during the next three weeks due to my three-weeks long sailing course. But if I find the time, I'll hopefully manage another system by the time I get back.

[highlight]I do not expect a demo to be released before July.[/code] But we're working hard to manage a release before summer's end.

Level 6
I can't deny that it's easy; point-and-click isn't hard...

But are you sure the words [highlight]any[/code] and [highlight]easily[/code] belong in the same sentence here? It's true that it's really easy to make a "kill 10 wolves"-esque quest. But how easy is it to create more interesting ones?

Furthermore we have a quest system that requires the user to code in vJass, and as far as I know heavy usage of custom script is not considered GUI. Thus we'd lose the advantage of using our quest system if we were to code in GUI.

Not to degrade GUI or anything, but we want to keep the code & triggers clean and organized, which is really hard to achieve if one must create a minimum of 2 triggers per quest.

Last edited:
Level 16
I can't deny that it's easy; point-and-click isn't hard...

But are you sure the words [highlight]any[/code] and [highlight]easily[/code] belong in the same sentence here? It's true that it's really easy to make a "kill 10 wolves"-esque quest. But how easy is it to create more interesting ones?

Furthermore we have a quest system that requires the user to code in vJass, and as far as I know heavy usage of custom script is not considered GUI. Thus we'd lose the advantage of using our quest system if we were to code in GUI.

Not to degrade GUI or anything, but we want to keep the code & triggers clean and organized, which is really hard to achieve if one must create a minimum of 2 triggers per quest.

easy to make a killing quest just need 3 trigger one for accept quest one for count kills and one for the quest reward, okay you don't want that number of triggers i just sad you can make everything in gui~.~

Level 6
A quick update before I return to my sailing course :p

Changes
Added: Damage Engine, Heal Engine, Spell Engine, Threat Engine + Threat Bars, Texttag
Updates: Inventory interface has received a facelift (icon-wise)
To be done
Code: Encode/Decode module (save/load), Interface for mastery-selection, quests, loads of spells.
Implement: Quest system, NPC system, Condition system, functional sell button for the inventory (atm it doesn't do anything...)
So there are still some things left to implement and code before I can start to implement the code the real maps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.