• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Music Contest #13 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
hive-logo-m-png.335473

ct_music-png.311597
contest-png.311487
13-png.349645
thread_results-png.311519

yin-yang-svg-58f16cd4ed967364451983d6.png

yin-yang-png.349826

The music piece must in some way create diametrically opposed (as-different-as-possible) soundscapes, either through dynamics, or through thematic difference, or some other creative ways one can think of. For example, one part of the song can be decidedly sad sounding, while the other one is decidedly happy sounding, or you can switch them up inside the verses all the time through modulations, or you can create a calm and beautiful atmosphere just to add some face melting synths or metal afterwards, completely throwing expected dynamics off.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 45 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 30 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 15 reputation points
  • Entry: 5 reputation points
  • Judge: 5 reputation points
The three winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

other_entries-png.311509

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Theme
How well does it demonstrate the feeling of the theme?/15

Creativity/Originality
How original is the piece? How creative are you with the theme/instruments/etc./10

Production
Basically, how well does it flow? Are accents used to good effect? Do overall levels make sense? etc./10

Composition
How well is it composed? Do the key changes make sense?/15

/50

Judgement: 80%
Poll: 20%
FinalScore = (20*Reached_Votes/TOTAL_VOTES) + (80*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

Theme 6/15
I dont see much of the theme at all in this track,it sounds mysterious like some song about an old tale all the way,but it doesnt change from that,there's a part here and there that sounds a slight bit happier/uplifting/heroic,but nothing that seems super different from the rest of the track.

Creativity/Originality 6/10
The choice of genre and the melodies which sound both oriental and celtic at times sounds original to me,but that's it.

Production 8/10
Sounds mostly good.Except for the percussion,the timpani and the tambourine(if thats what it is) could be improved in their variation,specifically in velocity,the parts where they play fast repeating notes sound too MIDI,also the tambourine sounds like there's only one sample being played,maybe choose a better soundbank/library or use more than one sample.

Composition 13/15
Its mostly good,i dont like the main melody though,the rhythm of it could use some more variation,theres a bit of that at a few parts,but it goes back to the same right after.At 1:37 the flute plays a note that kinda annoys me,like it shouldnt be there,but thats just a nitpick.

Overall 33/50

Theme 15/15
Good,the part at 3:15 is very agressive compared to the rest of the track with the growl,pulsing strings,and hard hitting kick and snare.

Creativity/Originality 10/10
very creative with the sound design,and mix of genres,well done.

Production 5/10
Your mix and master need a lot of work,theres too much high end and too little low end,im assuming you dont have proper monitors or headphones for mastering/mixing,it might be a good idea to get a little visual help,look for a vst called SPAN(its free),play the the track with the vst on ''Mastering'' mode and you''ll see what i mentioned,for reference,download some track of a similar genre to yours and try to mix and master your track to get closer to what SPAN shows for that track(but still dont do anything that doesnt sound good to you).This will surely help in this and in future cases.
On another note the growl sound you choose could have been better,or just finetuned,but its not far from being just right.

Composition 10/15
Love the intro(how do i get that drive guitar-like synth sound btw,heard it a lot in the game The Messenger but never found out how to replicate it or where to find it)
The track gets a little boring during the build-up,maybe some lead melody could have helped or something that isnt just playing the chords or an arp,i mean,2 minute build-up might've been too much.Also the outro is a little strange,it doesnt really give the feel of an ending but more of a transition or a return to something,and the way it ends is kind of sudden,but it wouldnt take much to improve that.

Overall 40/50

Theme 13/15
Piano part is very different from the insanity that is the rest of the track,good,and as i say in production,the choir intro should've been quieter just like the start of the piano part,and not have distortion,or at least,less of it,and it would've been a 15 for me.

Its weird as hell,but really cool,A+.

Production 5/10
Holy,this is loud,track needed a 5db/4db turn down eq at the 2k-4k region,probably because of the choir.The track is always loud.This hurt the theme for you,could have had more contrast if the intro choir and piano part wasnt super loud,takes a bit a away from the impact of the insanity drop(Also,you're not just slapping a soundgoodizer or some maximizer on the master channel are you?)
2:37 why and why is that scraping noise here.
On the positive side,very good synth sounds,bass transitions real smooth at 2:57,nice.

Composition 14/15
I feel like the piano at the end should have also played the chords,would definetly sound fuller and make for a better ending.The ending could have been slightly better and not a fadeout,if the last note of the piano was a B it wouldve been just right for me,but thats a small detail.

Overall 42/50

Theme 15/15
Quite good,beginning gives a retro dark fantasy yet uplifting feeling,that goes to a evil final boss sounding part,that then becomes uplifting again and then starts getting detuned,like the it was all for nothing,well done.

Creativity/Originality 8/10
Use of detuning and changing tempo to create tension is very interesting.

Production 6/10
The part at 1:35 could've had a better transition,feels like a whole other song as it starts.I think some of the synths also need a small turn down at 15000hz like 3 or 4db.
Also the track is quiet,if you look at the wave file,the only part where it even gets close to the ''ceilling'' is at 2:55.The kick there is louder than the whole rest of the track.You can see that just by looking at the waveform of the track,i was really struggling to hear some things,and even noticed some details only after listening many times to the track,and im here still puzzled about a thing,when the hi-hat stops at 1:57 and what seems like a shaker starts,initially i cant even tell if it is a shaker,or the 15000hz thing i mentioned coming from one of the synths.This could all be because of the track being quiet,that or im slowly going deaf.
A 3db turn down to that kick,and a 3db turn up on your master probably fixes the problem.
Other than the things i mentioned the track sounds pretty clean.Good stereo panning effects,and lots of depth in the mixing,nice.

Composition 13/15
Good,intro makes me think of when the narrator tells the start of the story like in zelda games.Good tension on build up to the kick part,and a creepy sounding ending,really like the melody at 2:42.But i think this track is missing a high energy part,something to make the listener want to hear it all again just to get to that one part,right now the track feels a little inconclusive.

Overall 41/50

Theme 15/15
Theme is most strongly noticed at the transition 1:49,smooth,and really different on mood and rhythm.

Creative with the theme,using rhytm to change it up,samples of people talking give a good atmosphere.

Production 7/10
Gotta upgrade that bass and organ sounds.Also what happened at 3:47,did the organ player just throw his whole arm on the organ or what,seems like a smear or palm glissando or whatever people prefer to call it,but it dont sound right at all.Also could've choosen a better synth at 1:51,its kind of a boring sound.Otherwise everything sounds pretty clean to me,i would've chosen a different kick sample,but thats just preference.

Composition 14/15
Nice,goes from 4/4 to 5/4 at times,real funky,up an down bass lines could use some more variation,really like the ending,and the switch-up at 1:49.

Overall 46/50

Theme 12/15
A spooky intro,that goes to a happy and pretty sounding part,theme could've been more strongly present in this track,more things such as the synth in the intro,which differs in sound to the happy part,wish it had been reintroduced in a different way later.
It just could have had something more in this regard,only thing that changes between the parts is the mood/emotion.

The synth at the beginning fit really well,not the kind of genre i see it being used often,but not a lot of creativity with the theme.

Production 8/10
Pretty good,low end needs some more in the piano and bass,transition at 0:41 could be smoother.

Composition 13/15
Your melodies are good,but some are repetitive,especially the one at 1:10,its good,but it needs some variations or some development.Everything else is good.

Overall 39/50

Theme 15/15
Perfect,orchestra that changes to pure synths later,well executed.

I think the way you introduced the synths was really creative,the one that starts at 2:39 really makes it work.Both sounds and mood of the track change in the synth part.

Production 7/10
Good,only think that violin is kind of ugly,too MIDI sounding on repeated notes,and sometimes too loud.Very well done transition to the retro part.Also the synth that starts at 3:10 could've come in better if it had faded in with a low pass filter,but the transition is not bad.
There's a strange noise at 6:10,i cant tell if its intentional,if its coming from one of the instruments,or something happened while rendering,but its a minor thing.

Composition 13/15
Good melodies,transition's a bit too long,gets a bit boring.Couldve had a solo synth play a variation the main melody as well,also think this track called for a slowly fading out while repeating ending.

Overall 45/50

Theme 10/15
A adventurous beginning,a kind of dramatic part at 2:41,and a short sad part at 4:25.There's difference,but its very small,maybe a change in instruments somewhere in the track to make it sound real different from other parts.

Very little creativity with the theme,nothing really surprises me in this track,maybe a fault of the genre?

Production 10/10
Not much to comment,its professional quality.Really good in all terms,sounds,mixing etc

Composition 15/15
Awesome,nothing to comment on,great melodies,great everything.Kind of makes me think of pokemon,and a bit of Miyazaki movies.

Overall 41/50

music-13-table-4-png.352682

music-13-1st-png.352324
music-13-2nd-png.352327
music-13-3rd-png.352326

Contest | Poll

Holy,this is loud,track needed a 5db/4db turn down eq at the 2k-4k region,probably because of the choir.
Goddamned, i never found how to tune the EQ so i can cut that noise. I lost hours figuring out how !
Why i haven't saw this earlier... :ogre_rage:

Anyway, next time i'll break some jaws ! Let's go for the next contest ! :mwahaha:
The ring of fire is only the beginning !

Level 17
Well I disagree with the end result. I think Jetfangingerno should have at least been top 3.

Its kind of unfair to complain about the use of a traditional orchestral, rather than use of instruments within the orchestra itself to evoke a ying and yang.

Have a melody on a synth then shove it on a Banjo and suddenly its different, but have two extremely different themes with lots of contrast on the same instrumentation, and the "subtlety" is ignored. Even though this is exactly how traditional film and musical scores did it
at least 3-4 different thematics variation in the 3minute clip evoking different emotions and serving different purposes] Its same here
you have music for utter defeat, music for revealation, and music for rising power and victory. But anyway I'm not musical expert so w/e
It kind of irks me though.

Probably it is my own personal preference.

Congrats all anyway.

Level 4
@GhostOfPast - Try a loudness meter. This one is free. I ended up getting the pro version later. There's not much difference in the Pro vs Free, except the Pro is more of the user saying a thank you to the developer of this plugin for offering for free. However, this will allow you to monitor ths "True Peak" of you track or full song. Just add this to your master effects/send channel and then hit playback on your DAW. Bring this up and watch the levels. This is strictly a monitoring plugin. It will help you with mastering. The idea is to keep your entire mix at -1 True Peak.

Free plugin:
Youlean Loudness Meter - Free VST, AU and AAX plugin

And for reference:

Level 17
@GhostOfPast - Try a loudness meter. This one is free. I ended up getting the pro version later. There's not much difference in the Pro vs Free, except the Pro is more of the user saying a thank you to the developer of this plugin for offering for free. However, this will allow you to monitor ths "True Peak" of you track or full song. Just add this to your master effects/send channel and then hit playback on your DAW. Bring this up and watch the levels. This is strictly a monitoring plugin. It will help you with mastering. The idea is to keep your entire mix at -1 True Peak.

Free plugin:
Youlean Loudness Meter - Free VST, AU and AAX plugin

And for reference:
I think you can get some spectrum / frequency monitors as well which make it clearer what is what.

once thing I have noticed is that if you do a complete cut off on an EQ that doesn't necessarily actually reflect how the end sound is. which I find really bizzarre. So if you want to completely cut a harmonic, sometimes you have to put multiple EQ's on the same VST, which is itself a bit silly.

Level 10
Wow nice! Yay! Congratulations to everyone that participated.

I agree with everything that must be improved, when it comes to music, production is surely the part where i'm most amateurish.

Also what happened at 3:47,did the organ player just throw his whole arm on the organ or what,seems like a smear or palm glissando or whatever people prefer to call it,but it dont sound right at all.

That's true, but i guess most of strangeness comes from the added distortion, wich makes it really "thick". It's kinda of like "In the Flash" from Pink Floyd, where we keyboardists desperately try to keep up with the guitars and their than loud distortions. haha :xxd:

All the samples i use are free VSTs (with the exception of the sounds from my real instruments), so i still need to improve and invest some to get betters sounds overall too.

Status
Not open for further replies.