• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #29 - Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here goes another WIP of mine..

wip3.JPG

The guys are modeled, some texture tweaks are to be done, and the cauldron at the moment has such a dreadful texture that I hid it. xD

@PROXY: I'm in the same situation. I'll try to rush everything and finish today. Shame on us, but if we agree on it we can give one last week of extension. Either way, it would be good to hear from more people.

Level 51
One week extension would be totally fine by me, but we really have to stick to it then. I see many potential entries right now, it would be a shame if they would be wasted.

I for one am only done with 1 of three riders. Took soo much more time to refine his animations, combining all three later is going to be a total pain in the ass.

The head is going to be replaced.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 108
@Stefan.K, really a shame. Hope you manage to finish it after the contest deadline if not before it.

@PROXY, nice WIP. You'll do 3 riders going side by side? Can turn out great, but watch out for making it look too crowded. Something about them must be an unifying factor. As their race, or complementary roles. Looks very well done so far. :)

One week extension would be totally fine by me, but we really have to stick to it then. I see many potential entries right now, it would be a shame if they would be wasted.
Well, judging by the fact we have 0 entries submitted, I see no alternative but giving one extension more. I thought giving 1 single week for matters of not having extended it a whole month in the end, which sounds too much. I think 1 week is enough to finish a model from the ground up if you're a quick modeler.

Anyone opposes to the extension, or for some reason would really need a bit more than that?

@HappyCockroach, there's always Coldblows un-animated model, and with any luck, Pvt.Toma. I totally support an extension (what else?), and think you guys are coming along real well!

@PROXY , daaaang. Pretty neat goblin-on-baby-turtle setup you got there. But 3? Don't over-tax yourself... : )
While @Coldblows ' entry is marvelous and we would love to have it among the finished pieces, the rules are clear - the entry must contain the minimal set of animations a functional wc3 model requires in order to be considered valid - it's at the first post. I highlighted his name intentionally, because he should know of this last extension and give those guys some anims! x)

I'm not opposed to the extension, I'll see if I can finish it by then. Gotta find some time to do them.
Please do. Your entry is nice and has a lot of progress already.

I set the deadline to 20th June. The reason is because the deadline was on saturday, and if we put it to monday we all will be able to use the whole weekend. Now we've all gained more than we even deserved, so now we work hard and honor it, shall we?

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
While @Coldblows ' entry is marvelous and we would love to have it among the finished pieces, the rules are clear - the entry must contain the minimal set of animations a functional wc3 model requires in order to be considered valid - it's at the first post. I highlighted his name intentionally, because he should know of this last extension and give those guys some anims! x)

Ah, yeah, whoops; I was thinking of the Wc3C Hero Contests. If that's a part of the Rules as defined & agree'd upon, that's that, then.

If nothing else, @Coldblows, perhaps just stapling the Footman & Priest together with Retera's MatrixEater tool (even if it doesn't work completely right or look awexome) would get you a submit-able entry. : )

Level 18
Fist WIP: SKELETON WORKER SQUAD

Ohh, I did missread the end date, even end up with a interesting concept the last weekend. My squad just has some keyframes animated, but needs a lot of work before being done (at least 8-10 hours of dedicated work), I should have read that this contests had beeing extended several times.

The concet: a trio of worker skeletons, (1 strong blind one, 1 tall, 1 fat). They combine each other to fulfill the normal tasks of a woker.
Example:
  • Stand Work-> the strong one picks the tall that is also holding a heavy hammer, the 3rd one just sits down and drops building materials from his belly.
  • Attack Wood-> the fat one changes into a wheelcart and picks up the tools and wood. The tall one picks the gigant axe blade and finally the strong one uses his team mate as a gigantic axe.
  • Walk Wood-> the strong one picks lifts his buddy's legs to push the formed wheelcart, the remaining tall skeleton just walks at the side carrieng the gigant axe blade.
PS: even outside the contest, do you have any suggestion to improve my concept and model?

Attachments

• Skeleton Squad Default (Back).PNG
    Skeleton Squad Default (Back).PNG
    154.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Skeleton Squad Default (Front).PNG
    Skeleton Squad Default (Front).PNG
    141.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Skeleton Squad Wood (Front).PNG
    Skeleton Squad Wood (Front).PNG
    115.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Skeleton Squad Wood (Back).PNG
    Skeleton Squad Wood (Back).PNG
    92 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Fist WIP: SKELETON WORKER SQUAD

Ohh, I did missread the end date, even end up with a interesting concept the last weekend. My squad just has some keyframes animated, but needs a lot of work before being done, I should have revied that this contests had beeing extended several times.^

The concetp: a trio of worker skeletons, (1 strong blind one, 1 tall, 1 fat). They combine each other to fulfill the normal tasks of a woker.
Example:
  • Work anim-> the strong one picks the tall that has a hammer to work.
  • Attack Wood-> the fat one changes into a wheelcart and picks up the tools and wood. The tall one picks the gigant axe blade and finally the strong one uses his team mate as a gigantic axe.
PS: even outside the contest, do you have any suggestion to improve my model?
@Astaroth Zion, your entry looks really awesome. The thin skeleton as a big axe is incredible :D

The contest's theoretically over, but no entries so far but mine. I think a 3-entry open deadline might sound as a good idea, but how much time would that last, considering few people are actually working on their models? And that has an impact at how people will work at their models, given they have no deadline.

I'd like to hear from @Pvt.Toma, maybe @Coldblows or @Hayate. (Dunno about @The_Silent) - Are you guys willing to finish your work?
This contest is close to dead. I'd give it an euthanasia by now, unless we have a solid perspective of having 3 entries within another week or so.

Level 9
@Astaroth Zion, your entry looks really awesome. The thin skeleton as a big axe is incredible :D

The contest's theoretically over, but no entries so far but mine. I think a 3-entry open deadline might sound as a good idea, but how much time would that last, considering few people are actually working on their models? And that has an impact at how people will work at their models, given they have no deadline.

I'd like to hear from @Pvt.Toma, maybe @Coldblows or @Hayate. (Dunno about @The_Silent) - Are you guys willing to finish your work?
This contest is close to dead. I'd give it an euthanasia by now, unless we have a solid perspective of having 3 entries within another week or so.
I'm working 10 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. And as i mentioned before have no room no pc. I'm just a regular follower atm. (I know it's not allowed in the rules) but what i'm gonna say is i brought my last project file with me.. the squad project in case if i will be able to work on it again. But we know the situation.. I can't.. so if anyone wants to take care of it from this line. I would send it to him/her.. I have the .max file and so far might have the .mdx file too. So its just an offer :)

Level 50
Well, I have something here finished. Don't know if the contest is over, anyway, I will upload this here so...Nothing fancy, some alliance battle squad. It's made in a hurry but it should be fully functional. It's a warrior and a battle mage. I called them "Brothers in arms".
I didn't had time to make real portrait, but eh, it should work. Everything tested in game.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    318.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 2.png
    2.png
    374.3 KB · Views: 192
  • 3.png
    3.png
    521.8 KB · Views: 204
  • Brothers in arms.mdx
    230.4 KB · Views: 81
Well, I have something here finished. Don't know if the contest is over, anyway, I will upload this here so...Nothing fancy, some alliance battle squad. It's made in a hurry but it should be fully functional. It's a warrior and a battle mage. I called them "Brothers in arms".
I didn't had time to make real portrait, but eh, it should work. Everything tested in game.
Wow, great! A completed squad model is already a great thing. Well, the fact we have 2 entries should make us optimistic on this contest's conclusion.

I suggest we extend the contest's deadline 1 week then, until next monday, since we have @Astaroth Zion working on his entry. What you say?

Well, I'm actually gonna be busy for like, 4 weeks from now. I can still complete my model, but perhaps not on time.
Well, maybe try to use the weekend to get it at least minimally working in-game, if you're able. I'll redo the bad animations in mine, and @Stefan.K, remember, you're allowed to do any edits you want until the deadline.

Last edited:
Level 18
WIP 2: SKELETON WORKER SQUAD

Mesh updated, anims on the work. I post the Barrel Skeleton (cargo member), with all the gear that the squad will use.

BTW: I am more than open to suggestions, specially for a cool name XD.

Skeleton_Barrel_Wip2(front).PNG
Skeleton_Barrel_Wip2(back).PNG

The model hast 2 sets of ribs, only one will be visible at a single moment.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45

Mesh updated, anims on the work. I post the Barrel Skeleton (cargo member), with all the gear that the squad will use.

BTW: I am more than open to suggestions, specially for a cool name XD.

View attachment 241482 View attachment 241483
The model hast 2 sets of ribs, only one will be visible at a single moment.
"Skelesquad"
"Bone Zone"
"Ossisquad"
"Clik, Clak & Clok the Tappet Brothers"

Well... Cant make it to deadline, just started to have freetime and deadline is just like today... Tho i could finish mine if i have my weekend to work on it
Eesh, that's rough. :<

Wow, it looks awesome :D

Some name suggestions... Bone Masons? Tomb Lifters? Drought Harvesters? Ends up it's hard even to name squads.

Well... Cant make it to deadline, just started to have freetime and deadline is just like today... Tho i could finish mine if i have my weekend to work on it
Hayate, I personally would have no problem allowing you to submit your entry this sunday. The problem is that this contest has been extended for far too long, and I feel unable to propose that. If every participant explicitly says they're favourable to it, we could do that exception. Personally, to me, having 4 entries would be awesome, so it's a yes, but we'd need to hear Astaroth and @Stefan.K.

Until then, the deadline is in about 20 hours! We have that time to submit/update our entries.

Level 18
Ty for the suggestions. :D
"Skelesquad"
"Bone Zone"
"Ossisquad"
"spooky scary skeletons"
Some name suggestions... Bone Masons? Tomb Lifters? Drought Harvesters? Ends up it's hard even to name squads.
Mmm some interesting naming. Though given that they are more non-combat units, instead of squad the denomination "crew" could work.

Skelesquad ==> Skelecrew
Bone Masons ==> Bone Crew

Though I would take a distance from any S.S. name combination, even S.S.S.

Level 18
For me it's also a yes. One final weekend could work fine, and let @Hayate and @Pvt.Toma deliver the 4th and 5th entries to the contest.

Edit: I will try to deliver my entry today, and be able to implement feedback if the contest has one more weekend.
I apologize people, I thought we would be given one more weekend so I spent my whole time refining animations instead of finishing the model. Still missing portrait, death anims, and most of the post-work done in Magos (collision shapes, attachments, effects, etc).

@PROXY great to have your sudden submission to add to the contest. I'll look through it closely later, but seems awesome :D

Well, well, the deadline has come, and we have 3 entries. Though if we wait until sunday, we have Astaroth's and Hayate's promise of submission, which would give us 2 more. I wouldn't mind postponing a few days until sunday for that purpose, as I already mentioned. Other contestants have expressed favourable regarding that as well. What are your thoughts on it, @PROXY ?

Status
Not open for further replies.