• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Modeling Contest #29 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

modeling.png
contest.png
number.png
2.png
9.png

results.png

165527-albums6053-picture106490.jpg

Squad

Contestants should create a model that represents two or more separate characters that walk around together and act collaboratively at some animations, as the Mortar Team, or the Goblin Sappers.
prizes.png

• First Place: 60 reputation points and your entry on the award icon.
  • Second Place: 40 reputation points and an award icon.
  • Third Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon.
  • Participation: 5 reputation points.

judges.png

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Disclaimer: The_Silent used a base of 10 to all criteria, and the 'Effects' aspect is built in the other ones.
Aero Team

Mesh ( 6 )
Good solid mesh, althoug I wonder how that machine with the propellers is staying afloat. The air plane could use some more details, but that is it. It does what it is supposed to, and does it pretty well.

Textures ( 6 )
The texture work is pretty enough, although the planes wrapping isn't the best. Good work with the rest, especially the use of a plane to indicate the wind at the propellers.

Animations ( 6 )
Machines, as always, dosen't allow for a lot of animations. What you have fits the animations very well however. However, the triangular meshes from the guns (the light) really shouldn't be in the death animation.

Creativity / Theme ( 5 )
Pretty creative, I have certainly never seen a machine quite like the propeller one. I do however feel, these would be better as two seperate units, as they have few interactions with each other. I admit it is pretty hard to make flying machines interact, but still, the theme is squads.

Basics/Mechanics ( 6 )
Lacks attachment points (Overhead, origin, weapon, ect.). Attack animations should not be looping.

Overall (5.8/10)

Brothers in Arms

Mesh ( 7 )
Mesh is good, quite some nice custom pieces of armor especially. I suspect that the swordman is a edited footman mesh, which is fine, since apart from the animations (which I will talk about later), you've come quite far away from.

Textures ( 7 )
Textures and wrapping is quite good, with the exception of the swordmans chest piece, which looks a bit strange.

Animations ( 6 )
Animations is quite nice, although it is apparent the sword-mans animation just is stock fotman animations. The mage animations is quite stiff and a bit slow, so that could use some adjustment. Otherwise it seems to have all the nececary animations.

Creativity / Theme ( 5 )
Not the moste creative concept in the world, but executed quite well. I would like more interactions between the two, since they're supposed to be a squad.

Basics/Mechanics ( 7 )
Either lacks hero glow or Decay animation. Have all the nececary animations and attachment points. Quite a lot of nice event objects that seem to work fine.

Overall (6.4/10)

Chronosquad

Mesh ( 9 )
Great mesh with a lot of details, especially the mechanical parts. Maybe a bit many polies, but heck, it is a hero. I especially love all the small moving parts, and the mustache, haha. Also the goblin pompadour. Tons of details, looks really good.

Textures ( 7 )
Nice texture work, the gnome's jacket looks very stretched. This is a case where I would have said a custom texture really could have benefited the model.

Animations ( 8 )
The attack animations is a bit much if this unit is going to attack alot, maybe a lest "extrevagant" attack animations on toip of this one would have benefitted the model. The animations overall is superb, and really emphasises teamwork. A bit animations would have been nice, but still, when it comes to quality over quantity, I think you chose the right focus.

Creativity / Theme ( 9 )
Nice concept, almost every animation emphases teamwork, which is great given the contest theme. Same goes for the very races chosen for the model, which is not normally known to work too much together.

Basics/Mechanics ( 7 )
Lacks attachment points, most of the particle emmiters and bones lacks names, so hard to distinguish what is what. A hero model should have a dissipate animation.

Overall (8/10)

Boom Squad

Mesh ( 8 )
Great mesh, tons of small details, all-around good job.

Textures ( 7 )
Nice us of ingame textures, quite fitting thematically. The mechanical parts could use some more diversity however, but that is about it.

Animations ( 7 )
Sadly both memebers of this squad uses stock animations, while is quite fitting and works quite well, limits the model to only have the same animations Footman and Rifleman have ordinarily. In the second attack animation the sword clips through the gunners body.

Creativity / Theme ( 6 )
Nice concept, the two squad member could interact more, still, it fits the theme.

Basics/Mechanics ( 9 )
Have all the nececary animations, attachment points and event objects. Nice use of differnt effects.

Overall (7.4/10)

Ogre Goblin Cannon Squad

Mesh (8)
Mesh looks good and is very detailed. The use of sphere instead of a flat texture or multiple billboarded textures is a bit much, but the rest, especially the goblins on the back look very good.

Textures ( 7 )
Very nice use of custom textures, although the ogre could have been more detailed no you didn't have to use ingame textures. While I don't think custom textures nececarily was nececary, they give a good feel, and helps making the unit stand out and feel unique.

Animations ( 9 )
Great animations with many details, the move animation feels a bit slow, but that really just adds to the feel.

Creativity/Theme ( 7 )
Nice unique take on artillery, although the concept has been seen before, you manage to make it your own. Also, you're quite possible the first to add this variant to warcraft 3.

Basics/Mechanics ( 8 )
Have the necessary sounds, attachment points and animations. The particle emitters in particularly looks nice.

Overall (7.8/10)

Skeleton Crew

Mesh ( 6 )
Nice mesh, but two of the squad members is each, more or less, the same mesh stretched in different ways. The third guy in the back is nicely made, but the rip cage is hard to decern ingame due to it's size.

Textures ( 5 )
Good use of ingame textures, although very similar to the wc3 skeleton units. I do however like how you've mixed it a bit with other textures to add vairity.

Animations ( 4 )
All the animations is in general too slow, and a little stiff, but otherwise looks decent. The attack and death animations however have issues. In the attack animation, due to the lack of a "Stand ready" animations, the squad members teleport around, and the head of the shield guy clips through the shield. In the death animation, the bone parts revert back right before the animation ends.

Creativity/ Theme ( 9 )
A great concept, maybe a bit too comedic, nevertheless very cool. They work well as a team and interact a lot, so they certainly fit the theme.

Basics/Mechanics ( 5 )
Lacks attachment points (Left hand, right hand, weapon, chest, left foot, right foot, head)
Lacks "stand ready" animation.

Overall (5.8/10)

Zangarmarsh Brewers

Mesh (7)
Good mesh. The liquid from the "spell slam" animation looks a little strange, but the rest is top notch.

Textures ( 8 )
Good use of ingame textures, especially considering you've made a completely new race/species.

Animations ( 8 )
Great and creative use of animations, especially the Spell animations.

Creativity / Theme ( 8 )
Original races is pretty creative, so is the use of a rolling cauldron as main weapon.

Basics/Mechanics ( 8 )
Have the necessary sounds, attachment points and animations. Nice use of event objects, especially the splats.

Overall (7.8/10)

• 70% of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30% of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

Contestant
30*(% of Votes)
70*(% of Judging)
Final Score

Astaroth Zion

30 * (10/59) = 5.08

70 * (5.8/10) = 40.6

5.08 + 40.6 = 45.68

HappyCockroach

30 * (30/59) = 15.25

70 * (7.8/10) = 54.6

15.25 + 54.6 = 69,85

Hayate

30 * (6/59) = 3.05

70 * (7.8/10) = 54.6

3.05 + 54.6 = 57,65

Mike

30 * (2/59) = 1.02

70 * (5.8/10) = 40.6

1.02 + 40.6 = 41,62

PROXY

30 * (4/59) = 2.03

70 * (7.4/10) = 51.8

2.03 + 51.8 = 53,83

Pvt.Toma

30 * (3/59) = 1.53

70 * (8/10) = 56

2.03 + 51.8 = 57,53

Stefan.K

30 * (4/59) = 2.03

70 * (6.4/10) = 44.8

2.03 + 44.8 = 46,83

Arena winners.png

Contest | Poll

Last edited:
Level 32
Congratulations to winners. Thanks for all contestants for that awesome models. Even though the first time I take part in modelling contest and i did my entry tooo late for 3 days, I really enjoyed taking part in this contest. If next contest will be on theme with building, I certainly will take part in it.

Level 50
Yeah, finally the results. :D
Congratulations to the winners, contestants for the great models made. I didn't expected much from my entry, it was made in a hurry(like most of the contestants did) and I wasn't quite satisfied with it.
Waiting for another contest, I am glad I participated in this one.

Level 32
Yeah, finally the results. :D
Congratulations to the winners, contestants for the great models made. I didn't expected much from my entry, it was made in a hurry(like most of the contestants did) and I wasn't quite satisfied with it.
Waiting for another contest, I am glad I participated in this one.

Yes, Im too did not expect much from my model as i made it very quickly, it is not our limit( Hope, we will participate in the next contest and make more detailed models.

As a host I have to apologize the long wait we had in this. And congratulations not only to the other winners, but to everyone who was able to finish a damn SQUAD model. This was one of those exceptionally hard themes. I'm glad you all participated, and I'm glad you're glad you participated. :p Hope to see you taking part on the next ones :)

And if I'm to host those, I promise they'll go along dynamically, in a reasonable pace. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.